drop tune debate

What's Hot
ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
I was chatting with some mates the other day and the topic of drop tuning came up..
one of the guys said his bassist preferred to remain standard tuned [5-string bass] and the other said his bassist drop tuned just the same as the guitars..

made me wonder.. what's the general preference amongst you bassist types??
play every note as if it were your first
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would argue (and have experienced when recording bands who do not drop tune to the same tuning) that due to temperament, tuning and harmonies can present minor issues.  Whether you or the listener can hear these is highly debatable and as it occurs across most mixing of instruments. Whether it is acceptable, better or worse is open to debate or taste - like any other aspect of musical preference.

From a physics perspective undoubtedly the argument is that they should be tuned the same.  Real world audibility though is a totally different thing. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drop tune. 5 string basses are gay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In all seriousness, our 1st bassist played 4 string. Our 2nd bassist plays 5 string. Our 2nd bassist has to make a lot more difficult stretches to reach the notes, and his tone is very strange. The tonality of an open note versus a fretted note is markedly different, and in a drone post-metal band it makes a big difference.

If you're just playing blues, might as well use a skin flute.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    I play 4 and 5 strings.

Whatever the guitarist is tuned to, I tune the same. At least for Standard interval or Drop D type tunings.

If their "E" is actually tuned down to B, then my low B string is F#
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17587
    tFB Trader
    I always prefer to use a five and keep to the same tuning. The only exception is if it results in weird stretches
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    I use an octave pedal.

:)

My bass has been tuned the same since 1986. Anything else would confuse me.

I have one of those Hipshot D-Tuner machineheads somewhere, but I've never fitted it to one of my basses.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Drop-tune.

I prefer 4s to 5s, and playing the stuff I used to (melodic death metal - guitars to Drop C), the open Low C was used so much it would have been impossible to play on a 5 string tuned to B.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I have occasionally stumbled upon bassists (in mags/ online)using a 4 string but strung with the bottom 4 off a 5 set ( ie BEAD ) and that seemed to make sense to me.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    CGCF is what I'm tuned to. It feels natural.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17587
    tFB Trader
    If the band I was in played in drop c all the time I would do the same but for one song I'll stay as I am.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    in the DC Band, I'm tuned to D-standard and our bassist tunes concert [6-string bass - B, E, A, D, G, C]
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Drew_fx said:
    Drop tune. 5 string basses are gay.
    Bloody pentapitchhomophobe!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    Match the guitars otherwise you wont be able to phrase the riffs the same, if I had a 5 string I would drop tune it and then have the bottom string a fifth below I reckon. It would be kinda handy to have available the tone below the bottom note on the guitars every now and then but its essential that the open strings match.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7752
    I don't like the extra bulk and fingerboard width of a five, so I have played basses tuned BEAD a few times, I'm back to std. tuning at the moment.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister