My turn for a potentially stupid question :)

What's Hot
I am in the process of putting together two Tele's at the moment, one Pink Paisley, one Thinline kit from GSP.

I decided to use the GSP neck from the thinline kit on the Pink Paisley (the birdseye/birdseye is amazing, much much better than the Allparts jobby I was going to use) and Grahame is making me another birdseye/birdseye that I will then use on the thinline.

When test fitting the neck to the PP body, to make the screw holes line up with the body and the neck, the heel of the neck doesn't fit to the end of the neck pocket, I'd say there is about 3-4 mm of space, not an issue visually as the overhang from it being a 22 fret neck covers that, as does the pickguard, but would this affect anything sound wise (tuning etc..)? 

I'm guessing / hoping not, just maybe the feel of things.

Clarification would be lovely before I commit to this though :)

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
          It would be better to re-drill the holes in the neck to suit the neck pocket. If there is a gap of 3 - 4 mm then you will not be able to intonate the guitar, the end of the neck pocket is were the 22th fret should be give or take a mm. Put the bridge in place and the neck in the neck pocket right up to the back of the pocket then measure from the nut to the bridge on the high E string it should be 25.5” or a little more. 

ON the T/C you got from me it would be right as all my necks and bodies are matched but the holes in the neck might not line up with other makers. That why if you buy a neck from me on it own there will be no holes in the neck, so you can drill the hole to match the body.

See the link below 

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Fretting/Scale_Length_Explained.html

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    GSPBASSES said:
          It would be better to re-drill the holes in the neck to suit the neck pocket. If there is a gap of 3 - 4 mm then you will not be able to intonate the guitar, the end of the neck pocket is were the 22th fret should be give or take a mm. Put the bridge in place and the neck in the neck pocket right up to the back of the pocket then measure from the nut to the bridge on the high E string it should be 25.5” or a little more. 

ON the T/C you got from me it would be right as all my necks and bodies are matched but the holes in the neck pocket might not line up with other makers. That why if you bey a neck from me on it own there will be no holes in the neck, then you can drill the hole to match the body.

See the link below 

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Fretting/Scale_Length_Explained.html

Thanks Grahame, 

I'll have a measure tonight, it might be best for me to wait for the other neck you're making in that case. It of course lines up perfect in the T/C I bought from you :)
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Just plug the holes in the neck with dowell and wood glue, wait for it to cure and re-drill the holes in the right place. Sorted. :)

Done this a few times when buying used necks from ebay - they nearly always fail to line up correctly. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Your next neck is coming on OK should have it fully shaped tomorrow with the front and sides dots in, then the long bit waiting for the finish on the fingerboard to harden before I can fret it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Just plug the holes in the neck with dowell and wood glue, wait for it to cure and re-drill the holes in the right place. Sorted. :)

Done this a few times when buying used necks from ebay - they nearly always fail to line up correctly. 
    That's fine if the holes are in completely different locations, but if they are anywhere near the original holes its really better to use plugs rather than dowels.  Plugs can have the grain going the same way as the rest of the neck wood, dowels won't

Its just something to expect when mixing brands
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    GSPBASSES said:
    Your next neck is coming on OK should have it fully shaped tomorrow with the front and sides dots in, then the long bit waiting for the finish on the fingerboard to harden before I can fret it.
    Thanks Grahame, I checked today and it would be out, so patience required, which is no problem as I know it'll be worth it :)

Thanks Wez and 4114, I'm not going to do it this time as I already have a high quality neck coming my way.