NGD - Brook Teign

What's Hot
Just received this today. Custom order I put in last year, and it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Totally nailed it. The guys at Brook are amazing.

I've got a Collings dread, but it is a wild stallion of a guitar really. An incredible instrument, totally addictive, but my pathetically feeble voice cannot keep up with it at all, totally drowned out..

So I went for a Round Shoulder, 12 fret dread, with short scale. Was not looking for absolute power and volume, but something a bit warmer and softer generally. It's without doubt the easiest playing acoustic I have ever had. Played loads of Brooks and they are always super low action and easy playing, but this seems another level again.

Hard to believe it is a new acoustic, just sounds so full and warm like it's been played for years.

It's European Spruce with EIR. Thought I would do slot-head for something different.

And it weighs slightly less than nothing.

Here is the pic Brook sent, will stick some more up over the weekend.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lovely :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    schweeeeeeet, though you missed out your home address, details of any home security you may have and a listing of when you may be out.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Cheers guys. :)

I just looked inside at the label and by chance the serial number (they just use the date backwards) was actually my birthday, which was last week.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Very pretty. Have a wow
  • Congratulations.  The guys at Brook make some amazing guitars... and I think they're very good value.  I played a Teign for a long while.... very nice tone... and playability is on another level.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Bertie would've been all over that! Very nice btw!
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335

whatever happened to Bertie?

• OOOOOH!!! That's gorgeous. I'd love to hear what a no-compromises take on a slope dread would sound like. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Very nice indeed. Congrats!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CloudNine said:
    Cheers guys. :)

I just looked inside at the label and by chance the serial number (they just use the date backwards) was actually my birthday, which was last week.
    what a great coincidence ref the serial number !

its a keeper   :)

looks fantastic to boot 

ps happy birthday 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    lovely ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited August 2014
    Wow! 
    I love slope-shouldered dreads. And slotheads. And 12-fretters. And a lovely dark sunburst on a 'coustic. Talk about ticking all the boxes!
    I could live out the rest of my days with that one, desperately trying to play like Norman Blake and failing miserably, yet happily.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Lovely guitars but I didn't get on with the really flat radius and shallow neck.  I'm still tempted to go to them and ask them to make me one with a more traditional neck profile if I can get the money together.  Not sure whether I would go for a Teign or a Tavy though.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    @crunchman ; That is exactly what I asked them to do. :)

I had 2 Brooks previously and the neck was slightly too thin for me. So I asked for a more traditional profile with this one. And it is really nice. Re. the radius, never really noticed anything different on them to my other acoustics to be honest. Also asked for the more traditional bridge as you can see, was never fully sold on the Brook style one.

However, as much as I have waxed lyrical about the guitar, and it sounds amazing, there is a fair chance I will end up selling it. :D

I think I really now prefer long scale on acoustics. I had a few short scale guitars at the time I ordered this and loved them but all now gone...

The GAS madness continues!

• glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    edited October 2014
    Here's my Brook Teign which my missus bought me for my 50th (8 bleeding years ago....) It has Lacewood back/sides and a bearclaw Englemann Spruce top.  I'll never part with it, plays beautifully...
    imageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

ayecarumbah, that looks a bit special. What's lacewood like as a tone wood?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    VimFuego said:

ayecarumbah, that looks a bit special. What's lacewood like as a tone wood?

Really good, I believe it's similar to a USA "Silver Oak" and I believe Larrivee are using it on some of their models?  There are Australian and African versions too, but they look very similar to mine.  Brook use both Lacewood and another rarity, Red Gum for some of their backs and sides, the Lacewood has a well rounded sound, not too boomy, ideal for finger/flat picking.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited October 2014
    Very nice CloudNine it`s nice to get exactly what you want, and rare.

The sides on glt56`s looks almost unreal, like leather, very nice too though.
  • Basher said:

I could live out the rest of my days with that one, desperately trying to play like Norman Blake and failing miserably, yet happily.

If I sold a few guitars and an amp or two, I could do that. And probably still hang onto my favourite 2 electrics and main amp. And I'm bloody tempted sometimes, too. 

• ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I love the work that the Brook guys do. They're on my wish list.  They actually gave me an opportunity in their early days to buy one off them (to my spec) at trade when I worked in a shop. At the time, it was around £900 I think (over 10 years ago!). I kick myself regularly when I think about it!