Pots for P90?

paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
edited August 2014 in Making & Modding
Im a bit of a retard when it comes to pots of the volume and tone variety. Ive just put a GSP LP jr together and am wondering what value pots to use 240k 300k 500k different values for vol and tone or the same? 

I like the way my LP Melody maker works but have no idea of the size of pots in it even after removing the cavity cover.....1 x P90 1 vol 1 tone about 2004 vintage 
What do you reckon folks?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    500k usually for p90s
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Adam_MD said:
    500k usually for p90s
    I would go with that too
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited August 2014
    Thanks chaps! Idiot question A or B pots? 

Thanks! 

Paul
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I use audio taper for volume and tone myself. I don't mind linear for tone but not volume pots.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    edited August 2014
    Log for both, or linear for volume depending on personal taste. Linear doesn't work properly for tone unless you want it to act like a switch which goes from bright to mud at about 2 on the knob. (Or unless it's a very low value, as Gibson and a few others occasionally used, but then you get no bright sound at all.)

If you want to mix values I prefer lower for volume and higher for tone, not the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2014
    Thanks for the replies folks, it helped a lot! I also had a moment of clarity a tried the Gibson website, discovered I could ask a tech question based on my Melody Maker serial number, the reply Was, 500k pots and an 022 cap, so that what Ive ordered for the GSP Jr....

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Wire it 50's style, your tone will thank you :)
    edited August 2014
    ESchap said:
    Wire it 50's style, your tone will thank you :)

How does 50's style work? Diagram/link? Paul

Connect the tone control (the cap or the wire that goes to the tone pot, whichever it is) to the middle terminal of the volume pot not the top terminal.

It retains treble better as you turn the volume control down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks, I managed to find a picture via Google

That's correct. Don't worry if the two connections on the tone control are the other way round, or if the cap is on the tone pot itself with a wire where the cap is in the diagram - it makes no difference. It's only the connection at the volume control that matters.

edited August 2014

Thanks @ICBM.  ;

Here's a diagram if it helps.  The tone pot middle lug should either be grounded on the pot body either be bending it back and soldering or using a piece of wire to effect the same.

Another thing you could try is a no load tone pot.  I've got one in the bridge of a P90 SG special I have and it does allow a little extra rawk  :D  from the P90 if that's what you want, as soon as you move the tone control off ten, it's back to normal. 

oops .. no idea why both your earlier posts didn't show up when I looked earlier!  .. sorry for duplicating  >:D<