The old "Recommend me an amp" ruse.

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
I love my AC30 for a lot of things.

But I like having a second amp, particularly for recording. Mainly for amp based dynamic and full sounding distortion. Good reference points would be Bleed American era Jimmy Eat World, Polythene era Feeder, Deadwing era Porcupine Tree.

At the moment I've got access to a Marshall master mk 2 lead 2x12 combo from around 1980 - similar to a later jmp 50 and precursor to the subsequent jcm800 series. This amp has two good sounds, which are basically either preamp on ten for great tight and clear distortion (any lower and the bright cap murders you), or use the low input as a clean pedal platform which is surprisingly nice but I prefer the vox for that.

What I'd like is something with that dynamic and clear overdrive but with more girth and a wider range of usable tone control settings. An effects loop would be a very welcome plus too.

I'd be selling a guitar to buy an amp, so budget will likely be pretty strictly around 600 second hand.

Any suggestions for me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited August 2014
    Are we talking combos or heads here?

If someone asks me for an amp with more girth my first thought is a Rectifier - pretty much as much girth as you're going to get!  For £600 you should be able to get an early 2 channel head second hand (a single for sure, but maybe a Dual or even 3 channel Dual too if you're lucky), it will have a parallel loop but I think it can be modded to a series if desired. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    There are quite a few Mesa models in that price range which give you a huge range of sounds (although they all sound like a Mesa, if you see what I mean…) and all have FX loops.

Dual Caliber series (DC-2, DC-3, DC-5, DC-10 - the 5 is the best in my opinion, and best of all is the version with separately-footswitchable EQ)
    F-series (newer, simpler, not as good in my opinion)
    Nomad series (a bit Marmite for some people, but can be more 'Marshally' than the other two - the 100 is the best because it has a Graphic EQ, but the 55 is OK too)

You might get an Express for that sort of money too. Even the little 10"-speaker 25W one is surprisingly good.

You may also possibly get a Rectoverb combo for that if you're lucky and want heavier modern sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Are we talking combos or heads here?

Either, though I am partial to combos, open backed cabs, and the price would have to include both. ICBM, I've looked at the DC series before, though I have admit I wonder if being 1x12s they'd sound a little thin?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Cirrus said:
    ICBM, I've looked at the DC series before, though I have admit I wonder if being 1x12s they'd sound a little thin?
    If anything you may find them too thick and dark if your reference is a Marshall. You do need the DC-5 (Celestion C90 speaker) not the DC-3 (Eminence Vintage speaker) though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Having been set in the direction of Mesa amps, I've found and ordered a Stiletto ace 2x12 combo. Quite excited by it, seems to tick all the boxes. Read they can be bright but most of the decent YouTube demos sound great to me. Will review when I get it!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Pics and clips or it didn't happen. 

Once it arrives that is.  ;-)