Played at a house session last Friday night...

RockerRocker Frets: 4978
edited September 2013 in Live
The session was in a friends house.  Two guitarists plus me, electric piano, drums [cut down set] and a half dozen singers.  The host had setup a small PA in the room [which is a converted double garage].

A lot of kit was in the room.  Even the cases for the equipment took up a considerable space.  The session started just before eight o'clock and finished at a quarter past two.  With a break for tea and cakes around eleven.

All egos were left in our cars.  Everyone helped everyone out, singers forgetting lyrics was a common problem.  Mistakes were simply ignored as were fluffed chords and solos.

I was great fun.  What struck me was the sheer effort and stamina required to get through some songs.  Especially those in the keys of F or Eflat, some of which went on for eight minutes.  I must have played hundreds of F, Bflat & C7 chords.  I should have tuned one of my guitars [I had two there] a half step up, thus songs in F could be played on the E key chords.  Next time I will do that.

As a bonding, getting to know you experience, such an evening is beyond words.  And as I said before it is great fun.  Strongly recommended so if the opportunity arises do give it a try. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like a fun way to spend an evening and I sympathise with your point about endless F, Bb & Cs! The big band I played in would put Rockin Robin, Route 66 and a couple of other 3 chord blues in F or Bb together and some nights my hands would be in agony by the end of it!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Status Quo's "Caroline" was always a killer for me in my first band at the tender age of 16 - 90MPH boogie in F with an indefinitely extendable jam section: Just Say No. Eventually I twigged to the idea of dropping the bottom E to a D which made life much easier for my poor abused fingers... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...