ok, school me on Maccaferri style guitars

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
been listening to a lot of swing, gypsy jazz and so on and has piqued my interest in this style of guitar. A quick google shows me there's no shortage of guitars in this style out there at all price points, so what's good? What sort of money will I have to splash to get a good un?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did it once (just to say I had) but TBH there are far better channel crossings than the Maccaferri.  I got this shot as it was arriving in port to collect us -

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00414/SNF07BIZS_682_414963a.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

£500 ish at least The cheaper ones are horrible. You will also require a very big pick to play it with ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Big fat picks are what all the Gypsy guys use. Quite a few UK builders making them as well.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Lots of options for Far-Eastern model £300-£500 -  they will have the percussive feel, and the sound but wont have the volume. They are very much a tool for a single style - don't expect sustain and rich harmonics - it's all about biting treble tones and volume.

A "proper" one will make you jump at the noise it can make when the strings are hit hard.  A good Dell'Arte/Eimers/Le Voi with a Big Tone pickup will set you back £2k-£2.5k.  An AER60 combo is also De Riguer ;)

Thick picks and thin strings - what could go wrong ;)  (It takes practice to loosen your wrist to not break loads of strings).

See if you can find some like-minded types to crank out Minor Swing & Minor Blues - it's really good stuff to play with a gang.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Gitane models are pretty good (no pickups) - get a 'Tit Bouche (small oval hole) model to start with whatever you decide

One of the guys I play with has a John Jorgeson model - it's really good.

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    edited August 2014

there are a couple of jazz clubs round here, though I have been too scared to go to them in case they try to brainwash me.

EDIT: yeah, was looking at the gitane ones earlier. They seem a good bet for a fairly decent one. Just out of curiosity, why the small hole one?

edited August 2014
    14 fret join opposed to 12 fret, and (oddly) louder

The Grand Bouche D hole ones are mainly, but not exclusively used by rhythm players

See if you can find/start a Django Club.  General Jazz ones won't be interested in "old fashioned"  Swing that much

Feedback
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    There is a place in West London always has gypsy jazz on, and french food. Worth going to but the name slips me.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483

west London is a bit of a trip for me.

gotcha jal, didn't think of that. There are a lot of acoustic sessions round here, mostly folky, but may also be interested in swing etc.

Evilmags said:
    There is a place in West London always has gypsy jazz on, and french food. Worth going to but the name slips me.

Battersea High St - Le QuecumBar

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom