Average band lifespan

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
With all the auditioning threads and the "should i quit my band cos theyre a bunch of lazy bastards" threads I wondered what the average lifespan of peoples bands were?

I'd say its dramatically longer for bands where I'm notionally the band leader.

Bands where I am major writer / band leader
So current band 2009 - present = coming up 5 years, still with original lineup!!
last band late 2003 - 2006 = just under 3 years
first band 1998 - 2000 = 2 years

Bands where I was a "hired hand" type player
drumming band 2012 - on hold early 2014 = 1.5 years ish but may still revive
band playing rhythm guitar on some pre-written prog metal tune 2008 - 2009 =  barely 1 year
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Current outfit has been going for 2 years and the tell tale signs of a meltdown are approaching - 'my wife isnt happy we're gigging on that date' 'I hate that song' etc.

Historically over the past 10 years we bust up for a few months every other year and then get together and have fun again.

Getting gigs in my neck of the woods is really hard as there are loads of established bands so we just jump on the odd one and actually enjoy it

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401

I've been playing with the same singer song writer for 30 years, started at 14 and we are still in the same band together. Been a lot of bass players and drummers over the years though. 

When it comes to covers bands money is a great motivator. Being able to bring in an extra 1K a month isn't something most people want to lose so you don't tend to get all the flounces over personalities and stuff. The lineup in my current top earning covers band has been the same for 10 years with the exception of drummers. No ones ever left voluntary, we've only ever sacked people or they have relocated and stuff  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    edited August 2014
    My previous band had been going several years when I joined and lasted another 2 with me on board.

I've been in my current band for 5 years this month.
    We've only lost one member in that time - a bassist who left on good terms but who was moving to Brighton -
    Current bassist has been with us 2.5 years, so we've managed approx 2.5 years apiece for the two line-ups.

One thing that makes a big difference with us is that we are not 100% reliant on our first team line up, so to speak. We have our main line up of 4 of us that does most of the gigs, but we have a number of reliable deps we can call upon and we can also slim down to a trio if necessary.

What this means is that booking gigs around band members' holidays isn't necessary - Fred*'s away so we'll see if Tarquin*, Jeremiah* or Crispin* can do that date before we think about turning the gig down.

It also meant a couple of weeks back that when our singer phoned us up 1 hour before we set off for a gig in Hull to say he'd had to rush himself to hospital as his young lad had accidentally poked him in the eye, damaging his cornea and leaving him in a world of pain, we were able to juggle things around a bit, I moved from guitar to bass and our bassist did the guitar and singing that night. And it wasn't a bodge, it was a valid gig in its own right that we were happy to put our name to and, moreover, the couple whose wedding it was were delighted with us. They clearly don't know a lot about bass playing, but that's by the by...

(*not their real names)

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Current band around 10 years with a few short breaks along the way.

Been playing on and off with our drummer for the last 25 years.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    My current band has been around for about 11 years, and have replaced everyone except the bassist and drummer.  It's usually been due to job change or relocation.  I've been with them since 2012, and have seen two changes of singer (job change and family priorities).
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Fred*'s away so we'll see if Tarquin*, Jeremiah* or Crispin*
    (*not their real names)

Really? You seem the type to have friends/bandmates with those names.......

(Yes I'm bored)

:D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Well, I have to confess......"Dave" isn't my real name.

You do surprise me Jeremy.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    You do surprise me Jeremy.......
    I'm not called Jeremy. That name is reserved for fans of The Levellers. Of which I am not one.

I know you're not called Jeremy, *Insert unfunny made-up posh-esque name here*

• Me and my singer have been working together for last 20 years, lots of drummers and a few bassists though.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    I've been in 3 bands for about 2-3 years each and a few others that only lasted for a few months.

Hoping the new band I'm in lasts.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited August 2014
    I've had 3 or 4 bands where I have been band leader and every time it splits up when we get to the point when I find it too time consuming pushing the band I.e. Getting gigs etc and start to ask for help getting the gigs at least. That the band them disbands. Maybe I pick up lazy bastards or it's just working with me LOL

Current band has been together for 2 years now in various forms/band members
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Been in my function band for 21 years now ....christ that makes me feel old .

Still in all of that time we've only really had 2 major line-up changes ...and got through 7 drummers ....

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I think it's pretty funny how most people don;t consider changing the bass player or drummer a major lineup change! O_o

I guess it's a bit different for covers versus originals though. In originals bands, even if they're non-writing members you find changing drummers especially can really alter the vibe of the band.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I think it's pretty funny how most people don;t consider changing the bass player or drummer a major lineup change! O_o

I guess it's a bit different for covers versus originals though. In originals bands, even if they're non-writing members you find changing drummers especially can really alter the vibe of the band.
    Your right the drummer is a huge deal, both in covers though and originals. I've been luck enough to play with some awesome drummers over the last ten years but that's kinda been the problem, they have been good enough to do session work for real names in the business and that has led on to better things for them. Current drummer is working with Ward Thomas, live on Radio 2 Simon Mayo's drivetime today. Been using a couple of deps to cover him for the tour. Every time we change drummers the whole vibe does change, it's the engine of the band and I think with the exception of the lead singer the drummer makes the biggest difference if you change him \ her. Bass player is also very important as even with 2 bass players playing the same notes there is difference in drive and feel. I'm probably the least important, much as I''ed like to think I'm the most :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited August 2014
    It's about 15 years with some of the same personnel for me and that's my current 3 outfits in which I'd say at least 3 of us have been the core people and have stuck together for all that time. The music, ability etc is important but what's paramount is getting on and having a good laugh. Luckily for us, that's still there in abundance. Once that stops..well..? :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Danny1969 said:

I'm probably the least important, much as I''ed like to think I'm the most :)
    Yeah I'm in a similar boat in that the other guitarist is also the lead singer and the bass player does harmonies. So in terms of playing the same tunes I'd probably be the easiest member to replace without affecting the sound....but...in terms of writing it would make a huge difference.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    If we can get a few well paid gigs I imagine my currant line up will be together for years to come. We've got a great sound and we all get on and love performing. However, the gigs do play a major part in keeping our interest otherwise what's the point :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    If we can get a few well paid gigs I imagine my currant line up will be together for years to come. We've got a great sound and we all get on and love performing. However, the gigs do play a major part in keeping our interest otherwise what's the point :) 
    Gigs and money are a great motivator. If you can persuade a man to sit in an office all day for money then persuading him \ her to play for money isn't normally hard
    www.2020studios.co.uk