anyone made a pup testing guitar?

What's Hot
I'm sure there was a thread once where someone showed a pic of a pup testing guitar? Did I imagine it?  it had big cutouts down the body so that you could slide pickups under the strings.

I quite fancy the idea of knocking one up from spares. I have a naff body that I was going to bin as it was weird scale length, but it would probably be ideal for a bodge type pup tester as I wouldn't feel guilty about killer routs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

I though about it but though cutting a hole all the way through and loading the pickups from the back would be the easiest way
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    axisus said:
    I'm sure there was a thread once where someone showed a pic of a pup testing guitar? Did I imagine it?  ...
    No, you didn't:
    :)

Actually, that wasn't the photo I was looking for. I remember reading somewhere that when Fender developed the Dave Gilmour Strat they had a pickup-testing Strat, designed so the whole pick guard assembly slid out. I know I saw a photo, but couldn't find it from a quick scan on the net. It's probably in a book somewhere (most likely the Black Strat book, I guess).
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Declan at Deacci Pickups (formerly RD Pickups) concocted a clever way of swapping humbuckers quickly in / out of a donor Ibanez hard tail guitar. 

It involved a few large routs as mentioned above and the pickups were suspended in two rotating corks at each leg - think the corks were mounted on springs to help with height adjustment.

I'll try & get a few pics
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    There has been a few.   IIRC @GSPBasses has done a strat one that slides out from the treble side, its one of the few pickup testing guitars that doesn't sacrifice all aesthetics
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    Yes I made a quick change system for Feline Guitars.

The how and why link.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
    Hi @WezV you beat me to the reply.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10346
    tFB Trader
    I use a swimming pool routed Strat ... but that is a much better solution!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

"anyone made a pup testing guitar?"

No, but I did make an "amp testing pup"! I had a gash Di Mazio single coil laying about and put it in a die cast box together with a 470k volume and tone pot and .047 (IIRC) cap.

This was done to get noise figures for amplifiers with a real world input termination and was handy for listening for problems without a guitar connected which would just feedback. YES! even with the strings damped!

In fact even the pup in the tin would feedback and I had to cast the whole thing in tallow to  use the high gains I wanted. It also needed to be a looong way from any mains traffs!

Dave.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    @gspbasses that is a very elegant solution!
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    What about a guitar testing pup?

But seriously folks... I did wonder a year or two ago whether there was a way to slot humbuckers in from the back of the guitar - then a backplate with wood inserts - so you just screw the plate off, unclip the 'buckers, and hey presto. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Look at the Fishman Fluance Web page. One in there
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Another front loader system was that used by Dan Armstrong in the Plexiglass guitars, with interchangeable pickups.  I used to play these, great guitars, really cool looking, weigh as much as a neutron star, but I didn't really rate the pickups that much.

Here is a modern Ampeg AMG100 wooden guitar built with the same system, demoed by everyones favourite, PGS Andy.
    Take a look, and you'll get the idea.

Duration 3:27