Amplifier holy trinity - Lightweight, Powerful and Cheap?

What's Hot
SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 698
I've been thinking for a while about getting a Blues Junior - I like the idea that I could get on the tube with a guitar on my back and an amp in my hand.

It does seem like there aren't really many options for a lightweight and powerful amps (i.e. giggable). 

Aside from the aforementioned Fender, I have found this thing (http://uk.matrixamplification.com/guitar-amps.html). It's light enough that it could be put in a backpack (or spacious guitar case), then I'd just need to carry a 1x12 (which they also sell).

Apart from those two though, there doesn't seem to be anything else that I can find. Any ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    I don't think there's much in the mainstream. The Tubemeister 18 probably ticks the boxes, but beyond that it's probably down to stuff like the AMT Stonehead and the R&R Solo (6kg 2-channel 50W valve amp in a 1U rack).
    <space for hire>
  • Wow, the R&R Solo looks to be a beast. Have you used one? I've just been looking at all the reviews on eBay. Big plus (like the Swiss flag) is that I could just buy a 1U carry case.

ooo . interesting.
  • POD HD/Boss GT/other modeler and a FRFR speaker would be another option for small/light/powerful. FRFR cabs can be more powerful/wide dispersing for the weight and size vs a 1x12 cab.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Jet City 20 Watt Combo or head and a Harley Benton 1x12
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Another +1 for the Tubemeister 18C.  I've had mine a while now and have grown to really like it.  I did change the speaker as I found the OEM Celestion a little sterile.  It doesn't have the inherent warmth of the Blues Junior but has it's own very good tone.  It is however smaller and lighter so more portable.
  • Evil Robot. Less than 12kg. The perfect gigging amp.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    If you want light and powerful, then the ZT lunchbox seems good - 4kg and 200W. No idea how they sound, or whether it's really as loud as the 200W rating is trying to suggest. It's pretty cheap too.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    mart said:
    If you want light and powerful, then the ZT lunchbox seems good - 4kg and 200W. No idea how they sound, or whether it's really as loud as the 200W rating is trying to suggest. It's pretty cheap too.
    It's flipping loud ! See the Youtube demos via a 4x12
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Another vote for the Evil Robot.

Also, Blues Jr.  It's a cracking amp up full blast (riding your guitar volume knob to clean up), but noisy.  Look into the Blim mods

Most of the mods are cheap, and the tone stack mods and power output transformer offer the best benifit (the other mods being the icing on the cake).  You can also upgrade it to a 30watter, so in that instance, it would be the perfect small gigging amp.

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    You don't care about sound quality then? :D
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    edited August 2014
    Wow, the R&R Solo looks to be a beast. Have you used one? I've just been looking at all the reviews on eBay. Big plus (like the Swiss flag) is that I could just buy a 1U carry case.

ooo . interesting.
    Yes, I had one (I bought it off Rob Chapman). Awesome-sounding amp, just not quite enough gain on the clean channel for my usage pattern.
    <space for hire>
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I have an old princeton non reverb that's amazing. The perfect amp for me. No having the reverb makes everything much easier
  • I've never tried these, but remember seeing them on a NAMM report last year:

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2014
    Blues Junior is great, the other guitarist in my band gets some massive sounds out of one with drive pedals. Lovely cleans too.

Laney Cub 12R might be an alternative? Valve, 15 watts, sounds pretty good, only weighs about 11-12kg, very cheap too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Dave_Mc said:

You don't care about sound quality then? :D
    Or reliability...

You can generally get about three out of the five at once, and you might even be able to get four as long as those don't include cheap :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited August 2014
    Session Rockette 30 ! (or Sessionette 75)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't get ICBM started on them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    Blues Junior is great, the other guitarist in my band gets some massive sounds out of one with drive pedals. Lovely cleans too.

Laney Cub 12R might be an alternative? Valve, 15 watts, sounds pretty good, only weighs about 11-12kg, very cheap too.
    Laney Cub's sound great - 10 for fendery ish sounds (much prefer this to the Blues Jnr to be honest, though plenty of folk love them so it's just me :bz) or the 12r for a slightly more britishy sound.  

They do sound really good, I very briefly owned a Cub 12R but it didn't have enough power for TEH BROOTZ at drummer levels.  I was still learning about amp power back then...
  • Maybe a JCA22H or 20H could work?  There are now stock modded versions around, too, as well as a Dan Gower modded one in the classifieds :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    57Deluxe said:
    Session Rockette 30 ! (or Sessionette 75)
    Don't get ICBM started on them.
    lol

I'll give them cheap, loud, lightweight and reliable :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein