Mandolins are cool.

What's Hot
Any other mandolin players here?

I've recently gotten into playing mando in a big way, even bought myself a nice Gretsch. Great fun and a nice diversion from failing at guitar :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Which Gretsch did you buy...? I got rid of my old Gremlin one to force me to finish making a new one, but...those Gretsches look really nice.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    I had a Crafter which I refretted up to the 12th fret with larger fretwire, because the thin stuff was hard work ;)

sold it to a mate, but as he's not using it I may well buy it back :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Had one for about ten years. Apart from the odd jig, all I ever did was play slide on it.

Sold it in a clear out.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I had one for a while. Learnt a few chords and could jam along with Copperhead Road and Fisherman's Blues (pretty much the reason I bought one). But then it sat unplayed and eventually I sold it on :-(

• I had one for a while. Learnt a few chords and could jam along with Copperhead Road and Fisherman's Blues (pretty much the reason I bought one). But then it sat unplayed and eventually I sold it on :-(
    I only got one to try and learn the man Wickham's fiddle parts - my highlight was learning Raggle Taggle Gypsy and Dance of the Hoppy Lads, must admit

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I've had several over the years but never got on with them - everything I played ended up sounding the same. Currently mando-less and not intending to change that... although you never know ;).

Oddly enough I really like ukeleles!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Damn, typical, I've just sold mine and they turn out to be cool. :x After an initial burst I never played it, and my wife and neighbours were fed up of hearing losing my religion and maggie may. I did suffer from beginners instrument syndrome also - it was cheap so wouldn't stay in tune and sounded crap, which makes you not want to play it
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    JookyChap said:
    Which Gretsch did you buy...? I got rid of my old Gremlin one to force me to finish making a new one, but...those Gretsches look really nice.

http://media.fmicdirect.com/gretsch/images/products/folk_instruments/2718030521_frt_wlg_001.jpg

The G9310, it is a really nice instrument. Probably a bit overpriced at ~£180 but it's got a nice, mellow sound (solid 'hog) and decent projection. The best thing I did was bin the scratchplate, which improved the tone tenfold.

I quite fancy making a mandocaster of sorts, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start.

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556

Oh my God . . . I want . . . did I say want ?  ?  ? . . . Need a mandolin ! ! ! . . .

Will I be tempted into playing REM's Losing my Religion and Led Zep's Bron y whats is face  .. . though ???

Dead right . . sign me up ! ! !

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    edited October 2013
    always fancies one of these

http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/01016653/details.html?kbid=1582&mkwid={ifsearch:s}{ifcontent:c}mqpHRKSh&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword}&utm_campaign=PLA+-+All+Products.

Actually this one only has 4 strings am sure I have seen an 8 string ...
  • I like this one which I spotted a couple of years ago.A resonator mandolin:

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Mandolins are indeed way cool. I've toyed with the idea of getting one but the mandolinist in my band is so good there's just no point in trying. Check him out on this instrumental:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited October 2013

Actually this one only has 4 strings am sure I have seen an 8 string ...
    Indeed, if you look closely at my avatar, you'll see an 8-string mandobird. The 4-string version seems more common, but that doesn't make much sense to me - surely a large part of the mando sound is the paired strings.

Shame I don't really have a clue how to play it beyond Losing my Religion and a few strummed chords. :(

I also have a Vintage acoustic mandola if anybody is looking for one.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    @Lewy you're a talented bunch! You sound like great fun live!
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Here's my mandolin family collection:

Pomeroy A2 (Custom builder from Colorado):

Lebeda F5 (Czech Republic builder):

Oakwood Bouzouki (A bit nearer home - Leeds, by 'eck): 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    This discussion isn't helping my GAS

I love the look of the F-style Mandolins.

There's a s/h reso-mando in Wunjo on Denmark St if anyone is desperate ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Lewy said:
    Mandolins are indeed way cool. I've toyed with the idea of getting one but the mandolinist in my band is so good there's just no point in trying. Check him out on this instrumental:

Tighter than the Gnat's proverbial !  Awesome !!!!
    B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    I am mando-less at the moment, though I can play a bit. Used one for some recorded work before ... heavy on atmospherics ... light on talent :) still sounds good in the mix even if you are a bit of a duffer like me. it's a good use for spare halves of P bass pickups too ... great on mandos.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    I'm more of a charango man myself:

• BasherBasher Frets: 1204
    Lewy said:

Fantastic playing all round. His picking is phenomenal - it's unusual to hear something that fast sound so clean!