Fender American Vintage Telecaster Thinlines for £749!

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3891
At Andertons...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811

Oh man !

I really can't !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Coda had the 72 for sale at £699 last week.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    Yeah (and Peach too I think). You had to be quick, though.

But I suppose an extra £50 is still a really good price if you want/need one. Not like some other places which are charging £999.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    all 72s have gone now as well.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Does anyone know why these are so cheap - and in a variety of dealers? It looks like Fender are blowing out stock - which is unusual.

tbh - I wasn't even aware of these models before this thread.
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    Does anyone know why these are so cheap - and in a variety of dealers? It looks like Fender are blowing out stock - which is unusual.

Just end of line models that hadnt been selling great so theyve discontinued a lot
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Bloody good stuff if u ask me, bout time they had a price blow out, these are too notch guitars for really cool prices. :)

Hopefully folk who wanted this type of guitar will be thrilled to buy at these prices especially if u have been looking for a while when they were a bag of sand.

Iv been texting all my guitar mates just in case they got the dosh handy which admittedly is not so easy these days but u never know.
    Think @leerocker has one for £650 :)
    Woops just seen its provisionally sold. Soz for any confusion.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I was almost tempted by the '69, but the MIM equivalent has a beefier neck than the ubiquitous slim-C and the sunburst has an ash body rather than mahogany, both of which I'd prefer. It's got the nitro lacquer finish going for it though.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Reddog still have the 72 - with 24 months interest free credit too. :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    edited August 2014
    leerocker said:
    all 72s have gone now as well.
    Yeah I saw that. And the USA Deluxe Tele as well. They still seem to have a bunch of the '69 Thinlines.

Word in the last thread about this (I haven't corroborated it, just passing on the hearsay) was that Fender was operating a "Buy 6 get 6 free" policy with these models. No idea if it's true but the numbers sort of add up considering most are going at around 50% off. And considering how many places have this deal on at the same time, not to mention how rarely there are crazy deals like this on Fender stuff.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Dave_Mc said:
    Word in the last thread about this (I haven't corroborated it, just passing on the hearsay) was that Fender was operating a "Buy 6 get 6 free" policy with these models. 
    In that case, we should cut out the middleman and do a forum group buy!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3891
    I'd love to snap one up but just bought a Strat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    Are these really that cheap? Or were they just overpriced to begin with? [/cynic]

Perhaps that's why they weren't selling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited August 2014
    ICBM;328559" said:
    Are these really that cheap? Or were they just overpriced to begin with? [/cynic]

My 69 arrived from Coda on Wednesday and at £750 for an American made guitar with nitro finish, a hard case and all the bits and bobs I think it's a
    cracking buy, but for £1500 I'm not so sure? I bought one of the early 50's classics in the late nineties (which I sold a couple of years ago and still regret) and they feel very similar in quality and build.
    ICBM;328559" said:

I'm lead to believe that the retail price of a guitar in the UK equates to roughly six times it's manufacturing cost - so in that sense, ALL guitars are overpriced. Whether Fender operate with wider margins than this, I don't know.

That said, these guitars are presumably part of the American Vintage Series - the 'street' prices of which are very much higher than the American Standard Series. And Standards now top £1000....

So they do 'look' cheap.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    My 69 arrived from Coda on Wednesday and at £750 for an American made guitar with nitro finish, a hard case and all the bits and bobs I think it's a cracking buy, but for £1500 I'm not so sure? I bought one of the early 50's classics in the late nineties (which I sold a couple of years ago and still regret) and they feel very similar in quality and build. 
    Exactly. I was being a bit devil's advocate earlier - £750 sounds good, but it's not "half price" if the original was unrealistic to begin with.

That said, these guitars are presumably part of the American Vintage Series - the 'street' prices of which are very much higher than the American Standard Series. And Standards now top £1000....
    Which is also overpriced. It wasn't that long ago that they weren't much more than half that.

I think this is indicative of what appears to be a wider problem at Fender (as in the other thread), and is part of why they're having to 'restructure' and sell off or close down brands they bought only a few years ago.

Too many models, at too high prices. Giving them away at what must be a tiny or no profit (even given the margins they probably have) in order to 'get stock moving' won't help really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    ICBM said:

I'll be honest, I was really interested in a bargain and had the money but what was available was weird and didn't make me want to buy one even though I tried to force myself on the Jaguarillo. 

Would have been great for anyone that had ideas to purchase any of the blowouts before the sale but I guess no one did which is why they were selling them off. 

ICBM;328641" said:
    Too many models, at too high prices. Giving them away at what must be a tiny or no profit (even given the margins they probably have) in order to 'get stock moving' won't help really.
    I agree. Chucking stuff out at very low cost smacks of needing cash-flow - it clearly has nothing to do with running a profitable business.

That's why (together with the other Fender thread) I was intrigued by these. All sounds a bit ominous...