Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What was the THE album that truly changed your life to make you want to play guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think it was this one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ix0DC9qcuk
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    nothing did.  or at least nothing made me want to pick it up,  it just happened,   lots of things have made me want to "learn that"
    Cant say there is one "album" in particular.  One moment made me want to develop my fingerpicking/rag playing when I was about 12 years old,  thats about it really
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2013
    I saw this live in '69 on prime time TV ...

Guys like Hendrix, Green, Clapton, Blackmore, Akkerman ....

Album - Are you experienced ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Acoustic guitar came first - James Taylor's Sweet Baby James ... blew me away and wore out my first copy
    Electric guitar was more a combination of Deep Purple's In Rock and the Bluesbreakers' Beano albums, followed by Focus' Moving Waves and Camel's Snow Goose ... not one single revelation but more of a slow dawning
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    It's hard to tell... either Still Got the Blues by Gary Moore, Appetite for Destruction or possibly Cowboys From Hell by Pantera.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Probably a subliminal drip from Slade Alive,Tubular Bells, Born To Run, but THE one for me was Led Zeppelin IV's Black Dog - still can listen to it any time.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nothing really, I just always wanted to. Finally did when I was 16/17, and I'm still about as accomplished as a beginner.
    My V key is broken

• I think the for me it was hearing the Shadows, and realising that I could play the lead line and me mum saying "Was that Apache?"
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    While my mother was pregnant my parents listened to Dark Side Of The Moon enough to wear out two vinyl copies of it... and I can't think of a time I didn't want to play guitar. So I think it was that... pre-birth listening to Pink Floyd
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjon said:
    Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan. Heard Scuttle Buttin' on the radio about 3 months after I'd started learning acoustic guitar, and went "THAT'S what I want to be able to play". Bought the album on vinyl and wore out side 1 in particular. 
    Scuttle Buttin' had exactly the same effect on me when I first heard it. However, I bought the album on recommendation and I'd love to be able to relive the feeling when I first head the thump of the stylus on the vinyl, the faint crackles and that astonishing blur of notes that kick the song off. After the wobbly intro on "Couldn't Stand the Weather", the arpeggio at the beginning of "Things That I Like To Do" followed by "Voodoo Chile" I was hooked. For life.
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    Yeah, I'm going to have to go with MMMBop by Hanson. I was 13 when that came out, and me and my brothers were similar ages to the three Hanson brothers. We thought we'd be the English version. It didn't work out.

Then Performance And Cocktails by Stereophonics came along when I was 15 and I discovered distortion and Drop D tuning...
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I used to listen to Tommy Vance's Friday night rock show all the time (wish there was still a great show like that!). The one thing that blew me away was Stevie Ray Vaughan live at Reading (83 I think?). Tommy introduced it saying "unbelievably, this is just one guitar ..." SRV ripped into Testify and I was mesmerised! It was the first time I listened to music and thought about the guitar player rather than the music. It was so organic, visceral, tangible .... it was about one man forcing the guitar to submit to his will and making it scream for him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2013
    Electric guitar was more a combination of Deep Purple's In Rock and the Bluesbreakers' Beano albums, followed by Focus' Moving Waves and Camel's Snow Goose ... not one single revelation but more of a slow dawning
    Same here .. I had the Deep Purple In Rock album, Led Zep 1 & 2 and bought Moving Waves when it came out in '71 and tried to learn the riff to Hocus pocus and saw Camel on the Moon madness album tour. There was Pink Floyd and countless Krautrock bands which foreign exchange students from Germany introduced me to whilst I was at school.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA. I was about 10 (which matches up with the year he did the Wembley shows and that album hit it big).

@not_the_dj you're a few years older than me then. I remember my mum and dad going to Wembley on the 4th July 1985. I would have been 6. I wanted to go with them. I wanted a guitar for ages, I always asked for thunder road when i was in my dad's car (my sister is called Mary). It wasn't until i was 12/13 and getting into Guns n Roses that they gave in and bought me an acoustic.
    jesus I feel old.......................  :D

I was there at Wembley on the Saturday................
  • Interesting that there's quite a few Slade Alive's in there. One of my all-time favourites, proof that Slade was a serious rock band, and Noddy Holder's voice was awesome.

Rich said:
     I discovered distortion and Drop D tuning...
    you'll soon get over it, dont worry
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1st King Crimson Album. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited September 2013
    Axe Attack which was a K-Tel compilation thingy, and then Axe Attack 2 a year or so later. Never heard anything like it..

1. Rainbow - All Night Long    

2. Gillan - White Face City Boy   

3. Judas Priest - Breaking The Law   

4. Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever   

5. Scorpions - Make It Real

6. Girlschool - Race With The Devil   

7. UFO - Doctor Doctor

8. AC/DC - Highway To Hell   

9. Whitesnake - Ready And Willing   

10. Iron Maiden - Running Free   

11. Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

12. Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - You Got Living   

13. Black Sabbath - Paranoid   

14. Motorhead - Bomber 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Probably Third Eye Blind's self-titled debut and their sophomore album "blue". Kevin Cadogan is my hero.