recommend me a cheap, easy to use vocal compressor please

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
Suppose title says it all. 

We are trying to expand our PA setup and want to use a vocal compressor to even out the levels. Whats ok and easy to use?

Im guessing we'll be looking at something behringer etc but give us a shout guys?

Thanks 
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

DBX XL166 is ok for a cheap live compressor if you have a mixing desk with insert point. XL266 is even cheaper. Both will give you 2 channels of compressing. The 4 channel multicom from Behringer gives you 4 channels for a budget £100 or so if you need cheaper still. I have used all of those live and for the money they are ok
    In terms of easy to use all compressors are the same, you set the squash ratio, the attack and release time and the threshold it starts working on the signal. To get you started set the ratio at 3:1 the attack time pretty quick at around 10ms and the release around 200ms 
    Now lower the threshold control until you see about 4dB of gain reduction on the metres when the singers hitting the loudest lines. You generally lose gain on the signal when using a compressor so most units have a control called "make up gain" Set that to get the PFL gain back to where it was before the compressor was inserted.  That's moderate setting for live use, you can't squash as hectic live as you can in the studio unless it's a biggish venue. To squash more lower the threshold more and higher the ratio but you will find this makes drum bleed and guitar bleed in the vocal mic more pronounced. So see how you go at the moderate setting and experiment 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny speaks wisdom, I like the DBX stuff and there was a time long past when the Behringer compressors were made in Germany and were the go to comps and you paid accordingly.

The way to learn them and what they do is to use them and turn knobs until your happy with what is coming out but as with all processors using them to fix a problem is not really what they are intended for. They are there to enhance the mix so if you can look at what you think the problem is and then look at a way to fix it without using a comp you will get a better sound. I would also suggest that trying to set a compressor and play at the same time is asking for trouble so if you do decide to add one to your PA to sort out the vocals get someone who isn't playing in the band to set it for you as you play, instead of the stop twiddle start twiddle again scenario 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I have some old Behringer Comps dirt cheap if you are interested.
    Not sure how to check country of manufacture but I',e had them over a decade and bought one used even then.

;-)