Suggestions for easy songs....

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4978
Further to my post on the Session last Friday night, I am looking for suggestions on up to ten easy songs to learn.  My singing voice is not great TBH and limited range reduces my options.  Further option reductions for nobody else knowing the song.

Definite #1: The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel

Probable #2: Ride On [the version by Christy Moore]

Probable #3: Ring of Fire [the campfire version of this Jonny Cash song]

I need songs of that type, all suggestions gratefully received.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Thanks guys, but these songs [good as they are] are not the type of songs I have in mind.  No guitar solos, simple intro & outro, catchy melody and chorus are the type of songs I am thinking of.  My voice is limited range so songs like 'Sweet baby Jane' are too 'high' and any Jim Reeves song is too 'low'.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    You are allowed to change the Key of a song you know, to make it easier to play and to suit the voice of the singer.

Draw a clock face and replace the numbers with the notes A A# B C C# etc. as the twelve notes in an octave.

Now if the song was in C but you sing it in F count the positions from C to F on the dial (6 including sharps and flats) so if the second chord was G count round the dial 6 places to C
    Continue through the song to re-key and append any Minor 7th or 9th etc. as in the original Key so your Cm would now be an Fm in the new key.

Simples.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks ESBlonde, I understand what you are saying but I still need suggestions for songs that I, a very poor singer, can sing.  And sing while strumming along on the guitar.  Everything I 'know' or listen to is ancient [think 60s and 70s].  Even the sub genre called Country and Irish has moved on from Big Tom and the Mainliners to what I don't know.  Nobody is interested in Garth Brooks or Daniel O'Donnell either.  Basically I need suggestions for timeless songs [like Streets of London, which incidentally is beyond my vocal range], hence my posts here.  You guys know what is happening 'out there', I don't as I do not gig or even go to concerts anymore, piano recitals excepted.  Thinking out loud, songs from Leonard Cohen might be suitable, not sure about Hallelujah but it has been murdered by others anyway so one more would not matter.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited September 2013
    Sorry about double post.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Proud Mary

Bad Moon rising

500 miles

Teenager in love,run into, Your 16, run into Dream lover  C am F and G all the way 

Jean Genie  E A and B

Billy Don't be a Hero (currently going downa storm in my set!)

Living Next Dor to Alice

PS You can get the words to Pinball Wizard into Folsom Prison Blues 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130
  • "We could jam in Joes' garage ... we were playin' the same ol' song, it was all we knew, and easy too, so we wouldn't get it wrong ..." ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

• PS You can get the words to Pinball Wizard into Folsom Prison Blues 

:-O

Otherwise easy songs - anything I've ever played! Anything 12 bar based (people love Woolly Bully) can be done easy enough without needing to be accurate and just change key to suit. Bob Marley songs are mostly simple chord sequences, well known and that slight change in rivvum will help them stand out and no great range needed.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited September 2013
    Proud Mary

Bad Moon rising

500 miles

Teenager in love,run into, Your 16, run into Dream lover  C am F and G all the way 

Jean Genie  E A and B

Billy Don't be a Hero (currently going downa storm in my set!)

Living Next Dor to Alice

=============================================================================================

Thanks my friend.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Billy and Alice are certainly 'doable'

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Men at work - Who can it be.
    Steve Miller - Jet Airliner
    Dire Straights - Monet for Nothing
    Martha Reeves - Dancing in the street
    Maroon 5 - This Love
    Bowie - Rebel Rebel
    Joe Cocker - Have I told you lately
    Beatles - Back in the USSR
    Monkeys _ Last train to Clarksville
    Bad Finger - No Matter What

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099

House of the rising son. Am C D F Am C E - All the open chords you need and strumming and/or arpeggios work great.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • If your voice "isn't great " you could attempt any Dylan stuff and do an improved job ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

• PS You can get the words to Pinball Wizard into Folsom Prison Blues 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNylJ4SGzDE
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsql said:

House of the rising son. Am C D F Am C E - All the open chords you need and strumming and/or arpeggios work great.

I played a gig once and someone told me afterwards something like 'great playing, I never got beyond doing the arpeggios on House of the Rising Sun.' So, next day got out my guitar and had a go  - should be easy enough then. Couldn't do it for the life of me! Grrr. I must try that again now, see if I've progressed at all in the intervening years ( probably not).
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    edited September 2013
    Horse With No Name by America, although it's nice to have a harmony voice for the 'la la la' bit.
    Ghost Riders In The Sky.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • maltingsaudio;32557" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

maltingsaudio said:

ooh, you did me a link, Ta. Have a wisdom, I shall watch that later.
  • Have a virtual wisdom anyway as those wow,lol,wisdom things don't work on my phone.

:bz
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aw man, that is good. Will be suggested to the (work in progress) band. :ar!