SLO100: Axe versus Amplitube

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
edited September 2015 in Amps
Maybe this will vaguely interest you. Same impulse IR - Guitarhack Sneap Fredman Angled - Amp settings dialed in roughly to match.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/GearDemo/AxeFXII_Versus_AT3/SLO_A.wav
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/GearDemo/AxeFXII_Versus_AT3/SLO_B.wav
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    I liked B the best, found the bass a touch flubby on A. Both ace tones though.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Wow, seriously can't believe that one is amplitube.

Nice work, both sound pretty great! Something I realised was the amp models are generally good in vst, even the pod farm ones from line 6 - the ir is super important though, and the pod farm ones are not brilliant. It was amazing, when I put pod farm through torpedo wall of sound, made everything bigger and better.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I tell ya, for direct recording, I'm convinced that the IR is the single most important aspect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So which is which?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I wanna leave it open for a bit, let the others have a chance, but I'll PM you to let you know.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Considering how much I dog Amplitube at the minute I LOVE this demo:

• Bass seems almost out of control on A, but B sounds comparatively flat dynamically.  So I'm calling A is Axe FX and B is Amplitube, which sounds decent but more 'modern', in that easy to hear the note but not too dynamic kind of way.  A might have too much thump going on but B really didn't seem to punch very much. 

I'm willing to be wrong, it could just be how they're dialled in, but that is how I call it on my headphones - A is Axe B is Amplitube.
  • Drew_fx said:
    I tell ya, for direct recording, I'm convinced that the IR is the single most important aspect.

The cab/mic is a giant factor for real amps and even more so (IMO) for high gain tones, so it makes total sense that the IR matters loads for digital.

Here is a test Lasse Lammert did using a Marshall MS2 through a Recto 4x12 and SM57.  Yes, the small battery powered mini amp - it is driving the cabinet.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Anymore for anymore? Or are people bored of these comparisons now?
  • Only if you do 12 bar blues next time.
  • I'll have a guess. The bass in a is huge, so I reckon it's the axe.

I prefer B though.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I can't dowload them on my phone so I'll have a go tonight. 
    Well, I suppose I'll ruin the suspense.

SLO A is the Axe FX and SLO B is Amplitube 3. They're incredibly close. The Axe FX is imparting this uber-woofiness in the lows, and actually I've noticed it in many of the high-gain amps. I think that perhaps Amplitube is pre-filtering some of the lows out in order to handle higher gain tones, or their model is just inaccurate.

For me.. I prefer the feel of playing the Axe, but I prefer the sound of Amplitube.

I'm sure I could tweak the Axe to get rid of the low woofiness, but sometimes... I just don't want to tweak. I want to play guitar! The very things that give the Axe its strengths are also its weaknesses imho.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Interesting. Even more interesting is that if you'd used the JCA100H model on Amplitube, it would probably have been even closer to the Axe's SLO model (the low end is the major difference between the two models in Amplitube).
    <space for hire>
    Interesting. Even more interesting is that if you'd used the JCA100H model on Amplitube, it would probably have been even closer to the Axe's SLO model (the low end is the major difference between the two models in Amplitube).
    Hmmmm... I will try that out!
    Drew_fx said:
     I think that perhaps Amplitube is pre-filtering some of the lows out in order to handle higher gain tones, or their model is just inaccurate.

Built in TS :D

I still fire a TS model in front of the SLO model quite a bit though 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I preferred the bass in B (less flabby), but found the high end less scratchy in A.

Your playing disgusts me once again.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    8-}
  • guitarfishbay;331975" said:
    Drew_fx said:

The cab/mic is a giant factor for real amps and even more so (IMO) for high gain tones, so it makes total sense that the IR matters loads for digital.

Here is a test Lasse Lammert did using a Marshall MS2 through a Recto 4x12 and SM57.  Yes, the small battery powered mini amp - it is driving the cabinet.

Is that seriously just a single mic and no processing?!

I can hardly believe that. Surely at least double tracked, which essentially means 2 mics and the usual timing variations from being played twice?
  • It sounds double tracked. Don't think he'll have moved the mic position though so it'll likely be two takes same tone each time.