Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

any ideas?? unusual instrument request left me slightly confused

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16629
Whilst i like doing unusual instruments I think this request may be just a bit too far !!!

could I get some help pricing the parts I would need for this....
Kahler 10 strings are flippin expensive.
Scale 25″ – 30″ 0E,0B, 1E,1B,2E,2A,3D,3g,4b,4e,4a/g# what gauge should i use? Please! I am just wondering how much it would cost and could you recommend the parts I would need for, an eleven string 8 octave (0E-a4/5 or g#4/5) with a hollow body semi acoustic, 48 frets and a surface mounted vibrato that doesn’t interfere with the organic sustain too much. scale (top to bottom.) 25″-30″ I’m not even exactly sure what string gauge to use on the last 4, maybe? 80. 100. 120. 140.? tuning is (low to high.) E,B,E,B,E,A,D,g,b,e,a/g#. I would ideally probably separate the treble extreme highs from the extreme lows (20.6 hz, I think.) with two humbuckers (diagonal) behind the 36th fret and a nice piezo pickup neat and discretely placed, with all controls pots and all placed on the side, like an electro acoustic. I even have designs on the look of it resembling a mutated les paul with an arch top and sound hole in an unusual place, and the paint being mono chrome turntable illusions maybe current, but with black glitter and glossy coat, alternatively maybe a cherry red woody french style polish. what do you think? do-able? how much would that 48 fret 11 string cost? in £? and with fancy woods? I’m no expert when it comes to hard ware but I want to be able to hear it! :) do you take bitcoin? PS; couldn’t you make strings out of a super conductive carbon like Graphine? It is 30 times harder than diamond. and you could even make coils out of it, They could be coils an atom thick and allow for complete resistance free electrical power, the pick ups could be as thin as tape. they could be placed between the frets even!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30858
    Send him a blonde Telecaster.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The last few sentences starting with do you take bit coins? Are interesting!

Otherwise I heartily approve of bonkers multi stringed instruments
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Send him a telecaster with hamburgers and a bigsby.

Originally I wrote humbuckers but it auto corrected to a better idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    PS; couldn’t you make strings out of a super conductive carbon like Graphine? It is 30 times harder than diamond. and you could even make coils out of it, They could be coils an atom thick and allow for complete resistance free electrical power, the pick ups could be as thin as tape. they could be placed between the frets even!

-----------
    Yeah, try that Wez and I'll have a lawsuit slapped on your ass before you can say GrapevineGuitars.org.

:x
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My brain imploded at '36th fret...'.

Just suuccckkkk.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Go for it I say.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22684
    Wow, where is he based?  Area 51?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30858
    edited August 2014
    Wez- I think you're being had. Big time.

Have you considered sending him to Cleartone Conversions and taking a commission off the sale?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16629
    edited August 2014

Otherwise I heartily approve of bonkers multi stringed instruments
    so do i really, and an extended range fanned fret isn't really that usual a request - although some of the extra detail in this makes it particularly crazy

I would struggle to do 48 frets though, especially as that only leave 2.6 mm between the 47th and 48th fret slot on the treble side, once the wire is in it would be about 1.5mm with tiny mandolin fretwire

good luck to anyone that tries it!
    Gassage said:

I assume the same, just not sure who it would be.    I
    PS; couldn’t you make strings out of a super conductive carbon like Graphine? It is 30 times harder than diamond. and you could even make coils out of it, They could be coils an atom thick and allow for complete resistance free electrical power, the pick ups could be as thin as tape. they could be placed between the frets even!

-----------
    Yeah, try that Wez and I'll have a lawsuit slapped on your ass before you can say GrapevineGuitars.org.

you might have to explain that.  the url doesn't bring up anything
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Thank you so much for your enquiry.  I have studied your list of requests carefully, and due to technical constraints, I am unable to offer you the Moon on a Stick at this time.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    WezV said:
    Gassage said:

I assume the same, just not sure who it would be.    I
    Did he offer you a Digitech Whammy 5 as part payment? 
  • It sounds like a joke, but from someone who knows guitars... And ERG's.  

Good luck getting to the bottom of this mystery!
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    We need pics!! :D off ya pop, I expect to see the completed monstrosity/masterpeice by say....Thursday?
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    WezV said:

-----------

you might have to explain that.  the url doesn't bring up anything
    Graphine gags.  :D
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    I had this enquiry a few months back.

I assumed it was a humourous wind up or someone bored at work having a laugh.

....or it was a seriously disturbed individual who spends way too long on Extended range instrumnt forums and would drive me insane if I tried to work with thm.

I declined (didn't give him your name ...honest!)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    kinda glad its not just me :)  I wondered if I might be opening a door on a world of trouble with my fanned fret 9 string acoustic build (still in the very early stages)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, where is he based?  Area 51?
    'Secret, Hollowed-Out Volcano Lair' sounds more likely!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26550
    Hang on...twin humbuckers behind the 36th fret on a 48 fret guitar? Soooo...when you play a note on the 36th fret or above (assuming you have fingers a few mm wide so you could actually do such a thing)), there's no vibration over the pickups?

This has to be a wind-up.
    <space for hire>