Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why do filmmakers...

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
..of fillums set in the future always overestimate the rate of technological advancement ?

e.g.  Bladerunner is set in 2019, Space 1999 in er...., 
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    See "Things to Come".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Mostly they under estimate... 

Look at the computers in Star Trek the original series or Alien... or the data overlay in Terminator 2 when we see for the terminators eyes... 

though We still dont have hover cars ...
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I reckon if NASA had kept it's funding, 2001 a Space Odyssey, might have been possible, with a much stupider AI.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lucas is the worst for it.  He claimed they had spaceships, hover cars, laser guns and unreliable glitch holo recordings a long time ago - albeit in a galaxy far, far away.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Well Bladerunner of course was based on the Philip Dick novel, so the notion of 'future' had to be retained otherwise the film wouldn't work. It was Dick who set it in 2019.

When you think about the real rate of technological change it is accelerating. Though as Myranda says, we sadly don't have hovercars.

My gripe with sci-fi these days is the amount of glare and reflection and sunbursts. 
  • Emp_Fab said:
    ..of fillums set in the future always overestimate the rate of technological advancement ?

Because they underestimate the advancement of computing power and miniaturisation (see on screen graphics, user interfaces) and overestimate the development of physical technology (see hover cars, rayguns, etc).
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28029
    dogload said:
    Though as Myranda says, we sadly don't have hovercars.
    Probably a good thing - they'd only follow them with hoverbikes and hoverhorses.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    and hovercraft. If god intended us to float a few feet off the ground he's have invented us with fuck off big fans bolted to our feet.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Early movies had the future with corded telephones, Biplanes and Zeppelins! If we really knew what the future holds would we be that comfortable? Reviews of predicted technology usually do little to instill confidence, although they may inspire the youths to develop Sci Fi into real technology at some point. Who'd a thunk we would be walking around talking into our calculators and listening to music on them too! It is only just over a 100 years since man first flew.

• Emp_Fab said:

Because they underestimate the advancement of computing power and miniaturisation (see on screen graphics, user interfaces) and overestimate the development of physical technology (see hover cars, rayguns, etc).
    I think you are overestimating the grip Mr K Dick had on reality at all. He probably believed there actually are hovercars, proabbly trying to beam secret messages into his brain so the govenrment could steal his secrets. That man wrote some great books but he did faaaaaar to many drugs.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    edited September 2013
    The funny thing about Blade Runner is that there are replicants and hover-cars, but no mobile phones. They had them in Star Trek at least fifteen years earlier.

It's hard for future-predictors though - say you were in the Edwardian era, only 100 years ago, and you had to imagine the world of the early 21st Century. How much would you get right - bearing in mind that electronics of any sort were not invented until 1906, the Wright brothers first flew in 1903 and the internal combustion engine was only a little older. So to predict what the early 22nd Century might be like, take a current engineering advance, a new scientific curiosity and base an entire technological culture around them, and developments from them that you cannot possibly imagine...

Or just go and listen to ELO's 'Time' album - made in 1981, set in 2095 - amazingly, it hasn't actually dated that badly!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ESBlonde said:
    Early movies had the future with corded telephones
    I saw someone using a payphone the other day. I was slightly taken aback by it!

this thread reminds me of something in E&T magazine (which is sci-fi themed this month) - one of the things Samsung entered as evidence in their legal proceedings with Apple was a shot from 2001 where the astronauts are using tablet computers (faked in the fillum). These tablet computers entirely conform to Apple's patent but were on film decades before Apple filed it...
    Is that the patent trial which partly boiled down to Apple having a patent on a rectangle? Which in spite of not being what patent law is about the American judge found in favour of the American company over the Korean company... I'd be less cynical, but in the one instance of the US courts finding in favour of Samsung over Apple resulting in an import ban on certain apple products was overturned by the President without trial or recourse to appeal

I think in the near future there will be a stalling of tech development due to patent issues, but I still want my hover-transport or jetpowered rocket pants
    I think all future wars will be fought over patents. Rather than bothering with expensive court cases, companies will instead have champions who will do battle in some sort of arena. Possibly in giant robots.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Lets face it, we are all waiting for teleportation. Nothing else compares.
    Just saying it over and over wont make people buy your giant death robots
    axisus said:
    Lets face it, we are all waiting for teleportation. Nothing else compares.
    I'm not. I know what happens to the original you.
    Myranda said:
    Just saying it over and over wont make people buy your giant death robots
    What if it's a giant robot saying it over and over?
  • Holodecks are where it's at man...
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • Sporky said:
    I think all future wars will be fought over patents. Rather than bothering with expensive court cases, companies will instead have champions who will do battle in some sort of arena. Possibly in giant robots.
    I think that may put you in breach of US Patent 7,463,001...
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom