Budget home acoustic amp ???

What's Hot
I'm looking for a small acoustic amp to play at home . Doesn't need to be owt flash , but does need to be cheap !! Any suggestions ??!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Possibly not cheap enough but you can't go wrong with a fishman loudbox mini/

I'm also very impressed how good my my Yamaha THR10C sounds on the acoustic setting.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited August 2014
    If you can find a Leem KA-1210 or Meridian KA-1510 "Professional Multiple Amplifier" - they look different from the outside but are actually the same amp inside - they're a very useful, versatile and reasonably good-sounding amp that will handle acoustic instruments, vocals, keyboards and just about anything else you care to put through them. They typically go for between about £40 and £75 in full working order on Ebay or Gumtree. They're not the smallest and lightest of things being a 100W 1x12" amp, but they're not huge either.

I've used mine (the Leem version) for a whole host of things where a proper guitar amp or a full PA system aren't quite right, and it's always done the job. I've played bass through it on local radio and used it as the PA at a children's Hallowe'en party (background music plus comedy spooky reverb on vocals!) as well as a "proper" acoustic guitar and vocal amp.

"Professional" Multiple Amplifier is maybe stretching things, but two out of three ain't bad! :)

(Sorry for the poor pictures, it's hard to find good ones.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2014
    Roland Mobile Cube ... small stereo amp with effects that takes an electro acoustic quite well as well as an electric. Runs on batteries or a power supply.

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=957&c=329

Or Roland Mobile AC .. http://www.andertons.co.uk/acoustic-guitar-amps/pid25543/cid559/roland-mobile-ac-battery-powered-5w-acoustic-guitar-amp.asp

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Thanks guys , I went for the belcat .
  • This is not a pop at the OP, but I've never understood why anybody would need to amplify an acoustic guitar at home... is it not loud enough for you?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    you might, like I do, want to play around with effects, or maybe with a looper pedal
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    This is not a pop at the OP, but I've never understood why anybody would need to amplify an acoustic guitar at home... is it not loud enough for you?
    You might if it's an electro acoutic that doesn't sound great when its unplugged like my old Yamaha APX.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I use mine at home too quite a bit too.  Especially for finger-style stuff with reverb etc
  • Fair point, I can sort of see a little niche there now.

The wife of a friend bought an electro acoustic when she started getting lessons, then bought a Pod to play it through - on headphones! Never could work that one out...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    I got a Vox AGA70 from Scan two weeks ago.
    It's a great little thing. Think it was £234 from them. 

• Can you just play through an electric guitar amp? Is there much difference?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Can you just play through an electric guitar amp? Is there much difference?
    It generally won't sound very good, even if the electric amp has a good clean sound - electric guitar amps are almost all midrange (in audio/hi-fi terms) and have no real top-end which is the exact opposite of an acoustic sound… so what you get sounds more like an electric guitar than an acoustic, although not like a good electric guitar usually!

There is a partial solution though - perhaps unexpectedly, an 'acoustic simulator' pedal, which is designed to make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic but usually sounds really crap for that, actually works surprisingly well for running an acoustic through an electric guitar amp. I have no idea why I even tried it in the first place, but it really works.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wowsers @ICBM that would be worth a try!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBM said:
    Can you just play through an electric guitar amp? Is there much difference?
    It generally won't sound very good, even if the electric amp has a good clean sound - electric guitar amps are almost all midrange (in audio/hi-fi terms) and have no real top-end which is the exact opposite of an acoustic sound… so what you get sounds more like an electric guitar than an acoustic, although not like a good electric guitar usually!

There is a partial solution though - perhaps unexpectedly, an 'acoustic simulator' pedal, which is designed to make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic but usually sounds really crap for that, actually works surprisingly well for running an acoustic through an electric guitar amp. I have no idea why I even tried it in the first place, but it really works.
    I have used a Line 6 spider with good results. I remember reading somewhere that the speakers they fit for modelling amps do not distort or break up the same way as conventional guitar amp speakers .Worth a try as a 30 watter can be had for peanuts .
    edited September 2014
    Thought I'd just share a very quick noodle of my acoustic through the Yamaha THR10C on it's acoustic setting.  The recording is close mic'd direct on the amp.