What can be done to improve a guitar?

What's Hot
I have a guitar that I am very happy with, playing-wise.  I've added pick-ups (coil-tapped humbuckers) I really like, got a bone nut made for it and fitted locking tuners.  The only thing I can think to do to improve it is new electrics.  However, I'm not sure of the benefit of this as I've never been one for anything other than 'full' on volume and tone.

Any thoughts welcome!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    What type of bridge does it have?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Someone is bound to post 'put a Bigsby on it' sooner or later....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited August 2014
    It's a Schecter PT - something like this:

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Replace it with whatever Gibson/Fender is supposed to be its grandad?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    You could put a three saddle bridge on it. 

Or even better just play it!
  • Cool guitar. How about a spin a split ?
    Pretty cheap and gives lots of cool sounds.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If you only play with the volume and tone on full, then re-wire it to take these pots out of the circuit. Or put a blower switch in to switch them in or out of the circuit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Have you had the frets dressed yet ?
    I mean really taken care of ?
    By a real 'Fret Whisperer' ?
    I'm sure that Schecter does already play wonderfully but as far as incremental gains go almost anyguitar can benefit tremendously from a really good shakedown on the nut slots, neck relief & fret dress..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have a guitar that I am very happy with, playing-wise.  I've added pick-ups (coil-tapped humbuckers) I really like, got a bone nut made for it and fitted locking tuners.  The only thing I can think to do to improve it is new electrics.  However, I'm not sure of the benefit of this as I've never been one for anything other than 'full' on volume and tone.

Any thoughts welcome!
    If you keep fiddling with it to make it better there is a strong chance it wont ever be right. 
    Some things are best left alone.

If it plays great I would concentrate on playing it. All the rest is subjective and half the time not needed
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Just play it, sometimes that's all a guitar needs.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Just looking at those pole pieces, I'm thinking you're just crying out for some low-output PAFs ;))
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    mart said:
    If you only play with the volume and tone on full, then re-wire it to take these pots out of the circuit. Or put a blower switch in to switch them in or out of the circuit.
    Good call
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I'd imagine once you have the components you desire then a really good tune up would be of benefit.

Even a real stunner would play like a bag of spanners if it wasn't fettled properly.

Either than or fit a Bigsby.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Get a great set up. That makes a huge difference.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    Is there anything 'wrong' with it - maybe it doesn't need any 'improvement'?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Is there anything 'wrong' with it - maybe it doesn't need any 'improvement'

What he said, if you like it as it is why mod it and potentially make it worse?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited August 2014
    paulnb57 said: fretfinder said: Is there anything 'wrong' with it - maybe it doesn't need any 'improvement'
    What he said, if you like it as it is why mod it and potentially make it worse? It isn't that I want/need to do anything, I just wondered what the options are and if there's anything that might make an improvement.  I can't afford a high-end guitar so it makes sense to make this as good as it can be.  

Plus, the pick-up switch, volume and tone knobs are all old and crackly so need changed and it seems an ideal time to do it.

It has been set-up nicely already, it was just the electrics that required attention and I couldn't afford to do it all in one.

The 'spin a split' and blower options are of interest.  Thanks!

PS - what is a three-saddle bridge?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I threw a Wisdom above at the Blower Switch suggestion as I think they are an awesome addition. You could also consider a Killswitch.

I know you've said you like the pickups, but perhaps a Sustainer could give something different?

But on the whole, I agree with the consensus that you should tune it up and play it lots.
  • But on the whole, I agree with the consensus that you should tune it up and play it lots.
    That's what guitars are for - and that's what I'm doing :)

What does a sustainer do?  Other than the obvious...i.e. how do they work?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    imalrightjack;335678" said:
    hubobulous said:

But on the whole, I agree with the consensus that you should tune it up and play it lots.

That's what guitars are for - and that's what I'm doing :)

What does a sustainer do?  Other than the obvious...i.e. how do they work?
    Google?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/