Oil Finish Guitars- yay or nay?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    @evilmags

Could you post pic of said amazing guitar?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    @felineguitars

What oil do you use? Tung? Linseed?
    We use Danish Oil which contains Tung Oil and hardeners - especially as this is what Blackmachine have always used

I have used Linseed in the past though on a guitar I built for Tim from Bare Knuckle

I have used Tru Oil as well with good results.

Tend to use Danish or Tru oil  on Necks where player wants a satin or raw feeling neck

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    In Scotland so just got me phone. It's somewhere on here though.
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Megii said:
    I like using Tru Oil to finish my parts builds. That stuff does cure and harden, and can be built up in thin coats. So maybe doesn't count as a "proper" oil finish? I'm not sure. Pic of my most recent walnut strat:

What I like is that I can keep the finish very thin, and leave the grain unfilled - so kind of a naturalistic look, but with the colour and figuring in the wood being brought out nicely.  Nothing against a well-done paint finish, but I do like the natural wood look, albeit artfully enhanced. So I guess a its a yay from me. :)

Not sure if it is because it is a Strat, but I'm kinda liking that.

Only kinda though :)

Reminds me of a chopping board I had in the kitchen.

I believe you would use boiled linseed- bizarre as it doesn't work for a cricket bat- clogs the pores up and you want raw linseed to penetrate.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Gassage said:
    @felineguitars

What oil do you use? Tung? Linseed?
    We use Danish Oil which contains Tung Oil and hardeners - especially as this is what Blackmachine have always used

I have used Linseed in the past though on a guitar I built for Tim from Bare Knuckle

I have used Tru Oil as well with good results.

Tend to use Danish or Tru oil  on Necks where player wants a satin or raw feeling neck
    You can get a very deep finish with Danish Oil, and I've used in on the exterior wood on our Morris Traveller.  Reasonably easy to get a good finish with it.  Not as easy as some Organic oil (Triton oil I think it was called) I used; that was simplicity itself!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    I love an oiled neck but not bothered about bodies. I like how they feel but don't like the look of them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    Its a yay from me, i love the feel of a good oil finish.

again its tru-oil or danish i use most often.  Mostly tru-oil these days, but there are still some woods i prefer to use danish on.

I don't like oil finishes when they try to emulate lacquer.   A lot of people use tru-oil this way and to me it doesn't match a good lacquer and you loose the good bits about an oil finish when you try to build it up.

I have just restrung my homemade acoustic for the first time in a couple of years.  I made the mistake of finishing the top with danish oil and it basically killed its tone for about 6 months.   Sounds lovely now though :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    edited August 2014
    I get bored with solid colour and so I've used oil finishes a lot the last few years. Plus they are thin and easy to maintain.

My latest is a Wudtone one which is a similar thing to using just oil. I literally just finished re-building this one today, before I came on here and saw this thread.

I wanted a dark colour that would age easily and was bored with black, so went purple. This guitar ahas shad a few different, neck, pickup and hardware choices over the last 9 months. 

This is the current version of it. Crap photo as its suddenly gone very dark and moody out there...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014
    I like that actually- the whole arrangement.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Love that purple colour @stonevibe is that amaranthine?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Adam_MD said:
    Love that purple colour @stonevibe is that amaranthine?
    I think so.

The purple Wudtone finish.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• It's a yes from me.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    I love oil finishes and could never go back for a playing instrument. Quite happily have lacquer for guitars hanging on the wall though.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    SNAKEBITE said:
    Megii said:
    I like using Tru Oil to finish my parts builds. That stuff does cure and harden, and can be built up in thin coats. So maybe doesn't count as a "proper" oil finish? I'm not sure. Pic of my most recent walnut strat:

What I like is that I can keep the finish very thin, and leave the grain unfilled - so kind of a naturalistic look, but with the colour and figuring in the wood being brought out nicely.  Nothing against a well-done paint finish, but I do like the natural wood look, albeit artfully enhanced. So I guess a its a yay from me. :)

Not sure if it is because it is a Strat, but I'm kinda liking that.

Only kinda though :)

Reminds me of a chopping board I had in the kitchen.

"Kinda" is fine by me - we all have different tastes after all. Any chance of a pic of the chopping board though? :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Yay on the right guitar. My old Patrick Eggle New York being a nice example.

And good to work with for the DIYers.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Oil, love it

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    I love how oil finished necks feel. 

I have an oil finished Nirvana Black Warwick bass that I've gigged pretty heavily and it looks a complete mess so I guess you have to like how a worn finish looks, or be prepared to redo it every so often.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    edited August 2014
    Nah,you have to like how it looks aged and like wood in general.

to me an aged oil finish feels like a 100 year old bannister. Well worn and thoroughly ingrained. That is what i try to achieve with my oil finishes and its what you see in juans pic above