I think I want a Gibson LP

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
I only ever tried one once. It was about 6 years ago and at the time it lost out to a PRS with a trem. I have always felt that I didn't like guitars without trems, but I'm at a point where I just kind of feel that I'd like to own a Gibson LP at some point in my life. I have cash in hand, but I can't quite decide. 

I suppose that the other big temptation would be a Feline equivalent, but that is serious wonga (worth it though!).

Not sure why I'm even typing this as I'm not exactly asking a question! Just trying to get my thoughts together I guess.

OK, a question - should I blow the GAS fund on a guitar that I don't need, with no trem (I don't like no trem!) purely on a whim?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    Everyone needs a Les Paul in their life, at least once surely? Buy wisely second hand and you won't lose money if you decide not to keep it.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    axisus said:

OK, a question - should I blow the GAS fund on a guitar that I don't need, with no trem (I don't like no trem!) purely on a whim?

Oh yes
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    Everyone needs a Les Paul in their life, at least once surely? Buy wisely second hand and you won't lose money if you decide not to keep it.
    ^ this.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I've had PRS's, ESP's, SG's and all sorts, nothing has the thump that a proper Les Paul does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    me too, had everything, nothing beats a LP for me...go for it you will always get your money back on a used one

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Buy a Les Paul and put a Bigsby on it ... easy!  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A Les Paul is a low risk purchase .. buy a good used one and if you don't like it after a few months you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited August 2014
    Fretfiner is right about buying used and there being little risk...  

I think the bigger question isn't whether you should get one, but which model you want :)
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    If you can get over to @FelineGuitars, try one out. They're stunning examples.

But, if having a true Gibson is important to you, (please don't read this as accusatory, patronising or condescending as that's not my intent), then nothing else will do and you'll only feel frustrated.

I'm quite a lot like you. I've grown up with trems, when I compose/create our versions of cover tracks I invariably use the trem somewhere and a hardtail seems counter-intuitive to me. However, my Feline Custom is a hardtail and it most definitely has its uses.

So should you blow your GAS fund? Well, yes, that's what its for...!! But make sure you know exactly what you want otherwise for the guitars you're mentioning, it could be an expensive experience.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I think the tribute model is a great place to start. You got most of the Gibson goodness for low prices second hand. 

Well worth checking out
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    No matter how bored I get and buy different models, the Gibson Les Paul always wins me back shortly after. Forget QC and false claims that other brands itch the spot - they don't! You cannot beat a real Lester in your paws!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Try as many as you can before buying.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I think I want a Gibson LP = I know I neeeed a Gibson LP

:)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    You've already had the sensible advise - buy used and wisely and you should be onto a winner.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Go for a Les Paul Traditional, imho, probably the best Les Paul this side of an R9
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have to agree with @sweepy the sounds they can produce are fantastic authentic single coil sounds n all and the boot is really useful.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3962
    I have had a few, and sold a few but always end up back with a LP.  I have a Custom now and as long as I don't do anything stupid this will be staying for good! If I was buying now, I'd look for a used R7 or R8, they can be had for £1500-£1600 if you are lucky.  I got a 2008 VOS Darkback R7 for £1500 not long ago, and I think it was @fretfinder who had an R8 on here for not much more.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    I have had a few, and sold a few but always end up back with a LP.  I have a Custom now and as long as I don't do anything stupid this will be staying for good! If I was buying now, I'd look for a used R7 or R8, they can be had for £1500-£1600 if you are lucky.  I got a 2008 VOS Darkback R7 for £1500 not long ago, and I think it was @fretfinder who had an R8 on here for not much more.
    Used R7 or R8 is probably the best bang for buck.  If you want a smaller neck then there is also a Plaintop 60 reissue that Guitar Center did as a special order.  There are a few of them in this country.  I used to have one, and I've seen one or two others.

I've now got an R8 I bought used.  I did buy it from a shop so I paid a bit more for it than the prices mentioned above.  I did go in intending to buy a Traditional but I played about 5 of them and the R8 was in a different league.  I think there are really good Traditionals out there.  I played one once when I was in a shop buying a pedal that was really good but when I went shopping I couldn't find one that good so ended up with the R8.

As said above, if you buy used then you won't really lose anything.

If you are not concerned about the name on the headstock and the "correct" scale length then I've got a PRS Singlecut I'm looking to sell.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    If you want a Gibson Les Paul, then nothing else will do. Plenty of technically better and even more expensive alternatives of similar styling but they don't have the GLP heritage. Even just to hang a LP Standard on the wall, it's worth getting one, plus cheaper than many other art alternatives.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I know I want a black two pickup Custom, I just don't think it would suit my playing at all.