Pick me a guitar ......

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
edited August 2014 in Guitar
Posted this in Classifieds by mistake DOH - so reposted here - in the correct place.

Well - obviously its my choice but I REALLY cant decide.  None are perfect, as Id prefer a quilt top over flame, and Id prefer a green guitar, or failing that aqua or lighter blue.  Still the "to be sold" guitar I currently have is kind of pinky. faded cherry type of red so if the guitar is right in every other aspect I guess id get used to the colour.

Suhr Modern at £1900, or Tom Anderson T at £1400.  Both used, both Floyd.  TBH £1900 is ABSOLUTELY top end of my budget - and even then relies on getting a good price for my PRS CE.  In todays climate?  I could cover all the other options without selling - though it would have to go in the end it wouldnt have to go "now". 

pics of the culprits:

Theres always another option, or my mates Melancon - cant disclose price, though its some hundreds less than the Suhr.

Finally, theres an outside bet - a Washburn N4 at £1150 - though I could probably get it nearer £1k Im guessing as its on EBay.  Never played an N4 and its too far to go try first:

The final option, is to Retro-Fit a Floyd to my PRS CE - the guitar that will be sold if I find another.  Cost around £350-£500 dependent on Floyd (original or Gotoh) - which would be the cheapest option (all things considered) bar the N4 (assuming Id get more than £650 for my CE which Id hope would fetch £800-£900 even in this market).  That discussion is in another thread and the general consensus is dont do it - but it is still an option.  

Pick of the CE that will be sold, or modded for comparison to the others:

This is NOT for metal/Thrash.  Its an instrumental Rock machine.  Think fluid sustaining lean lines a la Timmonds/satch etc.

What do you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh.  Pics of my other guitars re colour.  I want a spread ideally - not too many the same colour:  See why I want a Green/light blue - or even purple one ideally.  These pics may or may not help.

thoughts?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Sorry I can't help. A green quilt top is my idea of guitar hell. ;)

I did get my paws on a Tom Anderson this week though and it was very nice...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited August 2014
    Yeh - but its an Ibanez.  Unfortunately I cant get on with the thin necks they use.  I can just about live with the JS profile - but not the Jems or Sabres - so unfortunately Ibanez guitars are out - and it doesnt have a Floyd which is the whole purpose of swoping/modding the PRS CE.  I NEED a Floyd loaded instrument.  If I could live without a Floyd Id just keep the CE as it is.
  • Suhr could have a skinny neck, too, as it's all custom order. 

I'd recommend trying them and buying your favourite.  

• Even the thinnest Suhr necks Ive tried arnt wizard thin though.  Ive yet to find a Suhr or Anderson I dont like the necks on. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    oh dear @ThePrettyDamned looking at Ishibashi is the road to financial ruin

Still, you will end up with a damn nice guitar or 2 :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Had a look - didnt find anything I particularly liked - except some floyd loaded PRSs  - but nothing I couldnt get from peach for the same money.

The Ibanez's didnt look all that great to me.  

Either way - used rather than new is the preference.  Its the only way Id get the quality Im after in the budget I have.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    They all have the wrong trem. My advice is find one with a proper trem ;)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    edited August 2014
    I like your PRS with dots a lot and might buy it if the price was right! :D
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • PMd
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Tom Andersons look really nice; not tried one though. The Suhrs I've tried have always felt a bit sterile. Probably worth trying a Washburn too - very nice guitars indeed. I've got an N6 for sale, which is a variant on the N4 (not a sales pitch - the N6 is almost certainly not what you're after - s/c at neck, and finish isn't green - more like your Strat) which you'd be welcome to try if you were ever down in the south-west to get some idea. The N4 is more of an all-out rock machine.
  • I'd say go suhr modern. The floyds don't seem to be at keeping their value. The modern elliptical neck is fanstic . I'd say add suhr to your eBay watch list and wait or hustle with a few best offers.
    PMd
    Thanks for that. The wide-thin neck is not for me but it looks a lovely guitar. Good luck with solving the conundrum!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    If your ideal is a high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd, if you buy anything other than a high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd then you'll just keep wanting one.

So wait until you find the ideal high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    daveyh said:
    If your ideal is a high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd, if you buy anything other than a high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd then you'll just keep wanting one.

So wait until you find the ideal high end green quilt strat type with a Floyd.
    Or...be a bit more flexible on colour choices and then the world will be your lobster!  :)
  • Yeh - Im prepared to give on the colour.  I dont want anything too close to what Ive got ideally, so Green is prefered.  Failing that Light blue, Aqua, Blue Bursts, Purples are all OK.  Even red/yellow shades different to my current bunch Ill look at.  Hence the Anderson and Suhr I pictured.

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I'd go for the Anderson. Sublime instruments.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited September 2014
    Done deal.  Very much a compromise.  Not quilt, not green.  However it only came available at the weekend - and as its a quick turn round was a steal (cheaper than both the other Suhr and the Anderson - similar to the price my mate wanted for the Melancon  -without any potential resale issues).

Its JUST cheap enough that I dont have to sell the PRS CE.  I "may" have to down the line, but can wait for the right market/price, or keep it if it does something the others dont (possibly fitting even hotter PUs for metal riffing where a Floyd isnt needed??).  I could even keep it secure, put away, for some dark day in the future I need to let my son have something nice.

Only Pic I have is the one peach sent me this morning - I get the new Axe tomorrow.  Shame its a work day !!!!