Which Strings For Classical?

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549
edited August 2014 in Acoustics

I'm not a classical player, but have had a classical guitar next to my desk for a few years for plinking on and working out melody ideas when writing on the computer. Until recently, this was a cheapo Argos 3/4 thing, and is now an Almansa 401 (solid cedar top, laminated mahogany back sides, mahogany neck, rosewood board).

I know little about classical strings, other than they made of nylon / stringy stuff with wire wrapped around them, and are lower tension than steel strings. I'm very pleased with the Almansa (chalk and cheese compared to the Argos cheapie) and the current strings should last a while yet, but I'd like to get an idea of what I should be looking at for replacements. I have no idea what it was fitted with from the factory.

What's teh deal with classical strings coming in tensions? What difference does that make, and which should I be after for the Almansa? If I wanted the bass end of things to be a bit deeper, are there strings that might suit? (Do they come in various gauges like electric strings?)

Suggestions welcome.

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The 'tensions' are like gauges for steel strings, rather than them being different diameter. The harder the tension, the more punchy and usually brighter the sound, and the harder they are to play. I generally find the harder tension strings give a bit more bass too, but only if the guitar is capable of it.

The quality of the strings makes a bigger difference to the tone than it does with steel strings in my opinion - even compared to acoustic strings, and far more than electric ones. D'Addario Pro Arte are a good place to start, not too expensive. I like the Hard Tension - not the highest tension, there's Extra Hard as well - usually.

(I should say I'm not a classical guitarist either, I just plink around on them a bit, but I do re-string and set up quite a few.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    D'Addario Pro Arte are a good place to start, not too expensive. I like the Hard Tension - not the highest tension, there's Extra Hard as well - usually.

+1 These are what I used during a 10 year span when I played over 100 gigs a year playing classical, flamenco and some original songs.  Whenever I tried any other brand I wasn't as happy with them, and I tried pretty much every brand out at the time. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    ICBM;337142" said:
    D'Addario Pro Arte are a good place to start, not too expensive. I like the Hard Tension - not the highest tension, there's Extra Hard as well
    +1. I use the Extra Hard Tension ones on a 'crossover' nylon string. They last pretty well (which given tying them on the the bridge is such a PITA is important) - and once stretched - they hold their tuning well.

Compared to heavier steel string gauges, they are not that hard to play.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    tell what was weird, I had the A string go on my classical, and cos I couldn't face changing them all I just changed that one (with the exact same brand and tension) and it was weird how much "harder" the new one is.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    I even put Pro Arte Hard Tension on my daughter's 3/4-size Kapok nylon-string - the strings cost me more than the guitar, literally! (I was given it as an uneconomic repair, not surprising when it needed a fret dress and they only cost the shop £18, just get another one) - and it sounds surprisingly good. So much so that I tend to noodle on it in the evening and can't find a proper classical guitar I like as much for that :-O.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Thanks all - seems like D'Addario Pro Arte is the first choice to try. Ordered a set of hard tension (silver plated on the assumption that I'll find the bronze ones a bit bright).

Just been having a play on the Argos 3/4. I had put D'Addario student strings on it just before I gave up and got the Almansa. The bass is okay - quite warm and rounded with reasonable volume, but the guitar overall lacks volume and responsiveness. No life in the treble. The Almansa is fun to play.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Another daddario user here. The composites last for ever
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Suggest do not change all the strings at once as 3 - 4 days of tuning ensue. FIrst the D string and then the other basses in turn and then the trebles one by one