The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    So let me get this right .. there's a alien who regenerates, is 900 years old or even older who can fly through space and time in space ship disguised as a 1960s English police telephone box who arrives in 11th century England on a Chieftain tank and the only problem for people on this forum is whether he can play EVH riffs and whether his guitar has a whammy bar .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Meanwhile on Mumsnet,

"Aren't Jenna Coleman's eyebrows lovely"

She has eyebrows?

<googles>

<gets sidetracked>

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    So let me get this right .. there's a alien who regenerates, is 900 years old or even older who can fly through space and time in space ship disguised as a 1960s English police telephone box who arrives in 11th century England on a Chieftain tank and the only problem for people on this forum is whether he can play EVH riffs and whether his guitar has a whammy bar .. :-)
    Don't forget the rumours about him sticking his knob into a Drashig during a graduation party pissup back on Gallifrey. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thought the story wound up being OK. 

Defeating Davros that way just seemed a bit repetitive to me, by I couldn't say exactly why.

I did like the way he told Missy to run with the implication that it wasn't the daleks or the ooze she was to run from.  Also her poking Stavros in the eye just as she'd promised too amused me.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I get sidetracked by Missy, thinking I've stumbled into an episode of Bad Education ( as her character is pretty darn similar). Still better than the last series so far.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Fretwired said:
    ....there's a alien who regenerates, is 900 years old or even older who can fly through space and time in space ship disguised as a 1960s English police telephone box...
    He was about 2,100 years old by the time Capaldi's tenure started. Just in case you were curious.
    <space for hire>
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    I thought these first two episodes were OK, although the big finale where the Daleks got attacked and defeated by their own poo was a bit of a shit ending........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;787974" said:
    Yes :D :p

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

I thought the second episode was dire ... Missy is bloody annoying .. she's like Mary Poppins on steroids and the Davros regeneration thing was pants. Sack Moffat and get some writers who can think outside the box as the format should be a licence to create something really special ... NO MORE DALEKS.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • As usual, made no fucking sense at all. I very rarely get to the end of an episode and feel like I've watched some quality television, but I keep watching this bloody show. No idea why.

• Did anyone else want to stab Moffat with his "sonic sunglasses"?.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Sunglasses are ridiculous and better get binned soon.

Missy is awesome though, hope they don't ruin it by shoehorning her in at every opportunity.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Fretwired said:
    I thought the second episode was dire ... Missy is bloody annoying .. she's like Mary Poppins on steroids and the Davros regeneration thing was pants. Sack Moffat and get some writers who can think outside the box as the format should be a licence to create something really special ... NO MORE DALEKS.

I used to have a girlfriend like Missy, Scottish and psychopathic... in isolation neither of those things is bad, but together they're really frickin annoying... Bayin Skawtish becomes a reason fer ay-naythin' - when in the wrong and all of a sudden Skawtish is sexay, aye I am wrong but you can be turned on by my Skawtish accent, surrender you poor Englishman whet kan ye doo?

So for me Missy is like a bad flashback.

That said Noodles who used to come here (or there) was a fiendish master of the Scottish accent, once sending some young woman off to the middle of a field just to prove how much people trusted Scottish accents :)

As for the story... it reminded me of Hot Shots Part Deux where Topper has to carry Dexter Hayman because his shoelaces had been tied together. I think that was way too much of a gamble for Davros to consider, they shouldn't let Moffat near characters who're clever, he can't write for them.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    Did anyone else want to stab Moffat with his "sonic sunglasses"?.
    No. A large kitchen knife. Michelle Gomez is totally wasted as the two dimensional Missy (daft name). She's more like an older Doctor's assistant than a baddie - she needs to be evil. Capaldi is an excellent Doctor but deserves better material than the drivel served up last Saturday.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956

Fretwired said:
    Capaldi is an excellent Doctor but deserves better material than the drivel served up last Saturday.
    +1

I thought it was very poor, worse than the first part. It's not Capaldi's fault, it's the writing - overdone, obvious, cartoony, contradictory (even for something so fictional) and just getting repetitive and silly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I really enjoyed it to be honest, although "missy" was too much.
    Capaldi is a really good doctor, i'de like to see new companions, even something along the lines of K9.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited September 2015

I think that the sad thing is that Dr Who is the best ever idea for a TV programme, it has limitless potential for brilliance on a number of fronts AND it has a massive budget, and yet the storylines are dire rubbish from the mind of a 10 year old most of the time. 

Every time they wheel out Daleks there are a million of them and the whole Earth is under threat, and yet the best dalek story since Who returned featured just one dalek that wasn't defeated by fighting. THAT is the kind of innovative storyline that they should produce for EVERY EPISODE! not maybe 1 out of every 12.

I really wish that Moffatt would fall on his sword and we could get a more intelligent, adult head producer/writer in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    +1

I thought it was very poor, worse than the first part. It's not Capaldi's fault, it's the writing - overdone, obvious, cartoony, contradictory (even for something so fictional) and just getting repetitive and silly.
    There were moments when it was very good but these were restricted to some elements of the Doctor-Davros dialogues. Everything else was pretty cringeworthy and idiotic. 

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I liked that Davros' face moved more than ever before.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • There were moments when it was very good but these were restricted to some elements of the Doctor-Davros dialogues. Everything else was pretty cringeworthy and idiotic. 

Yeah, that's generally my experience of Doctor Who- great setups resolved in idiotic ways. So many fantastic premises on that show shot down by the need to have something blow up at the end. 

I'd have quite happily watched the Doctor and Davros talking for 45 minutes. Like Frost/Nixon or something.