The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I think that we can guarantee that the fisher king will be showing up many times in the future unfortunately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    ICBM said:

Let's hope the resolution isn't overly trite or too reliant on sonic sunglasses...
    Oh well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Massive bonus points to @Fretwired anyway on this episode. :D
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • So who did invent Beethoven; Yamaha?
  • axisus said:
    I think that we can guarantee that the fisher king will be showing up many times in the future unfortunately.

I bloody hope not. Waste of time and costume budget.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2015
    So who did invent Beethoven; Yamaha?

The new doctor needs to die really soon.

1) Sonic sunglasses.

2) Constantly playing the f***ing guitar.

3) Break the fourth dimension by all means, but leave the fourth wall alone!

4) The Master is not the Doctors play-mate. At some point when the Doctor thought he was the only Timelord he wanted to save him. But they're not any more, certainly never were. 

5) Any episode that needs a five minute introduction to explain how the doctor escapes this time - has jumped the shark and disappeared up it's own arsehole

Perhaps it's part of the BBC's treat everyone like idiots thing.. but Bakers(s), Pertewee and a few others explained stuff in a sentence... no rap/auctioneers schtick like Matt Smith, or the previous two's manic angst... just "well, when you look at the star-map it's changed - which'd take a very long time".       

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I actually liked the little Beethoven opening, and leaving things on a question - how did he get the idea to use a hologram if he only got the idea from the hologram.

Far more common in time travel things to have an obvious paradox but to ignore it. This way they're embracing it to futz with the audience

Futz doesn't get a red wiggly line. Woo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I actually enjoyed tonight's episode .. daft as a brush, but it was at least entertaining. Brian Blessed would have made a better Odin and the Doctor's meddling creates an interesting story arc for later in the series .. new evil adversary?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I actually fell asleep in this one but I don't think I missed much. The Viking schtick was a bit cringeworthy.

"Gods never show up" was a great line though.
  • Were we supposed to understand the David Tennant bit about why he has that face? I haven't seen that episode so was very confused.
    edited October 2015
    Were we supposed to understand the David Tennant bit about why he has that face? I haven't seen that episode so was very confused.
    Peter Capaldi played Caecilius, a Roman rescued by David Tennant’s Doctor from the volcano in the 2008 episode The Fires of Pompeii. The use of Caecilius’ face is a subtle reminder that the Doctor should always try to save lives, no matter what the consequences, or a simple plot device for the geeks as to why Peter Capaldi's been in the show as two different characters.

Although I mostly enjoyed it, there was the usual pure garbage in the script. All the baby talk bollocks for a start, ridiculous attempt at comedy section when the real weapons come out etc. A few good things though, in particular, Clara in the orange astronaut suit. Damn that was sexy!
    axisus said:
    Although I mostly enjoyed it, there was the usual pure garbage in the script. All the baby talk bollocks for a start, ridiculous attempt at comedy section when the real weapons come out etc. A few good things though, in particular, Clara in the orange astronaut suit. Damn that was sexy!
    I think you'll find that was the Doctor trying to impress/influence/motivate a bunch of farmers rather than a literal translation of a baby crying ... what he thought a baby might say were it capable of speaking .. :-)

Fretwired said:
    axisus said:
    I think you'll find that was the Doctor trying to impress/influence/motivate a bunch of farmers rather than a literal translation of a baby crying ... what he thought a baby might say were it capable of speaking .. :-)

Nope, it was definitely the usual Dr who crap ideas dept.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    He was translating directly to Clara without the viking folk there.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I'm wondering if she gave the other chip to Jack Harkness?
    My V key is broken
    Fretwired said:
    axisus said:

Although I'm also sure Fret has this wrong I like his idea much better than the script writer's.  :)
    holnrew said:
    As she was giving him grief for wanting to give up .. I know Doctor Who story lines are often idiotic but communicating with babies would be a real low.

Eric Jr watching it now. The Dr translated the baby as saying fire on the water which made no sense to him but later realised it meant the barrels full of electric eels. I think it's just that idiotic thing.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    holnrew said:
    As she was giving him grief for wanting to give up .. I know Doctor Who story lines are often idiotic but communicating with babies would be a real low.
    Only a repeated low... Stormaggeddon was a baby...

better question is why all the companions don't understand baby... previously its been shown that the Tardis translates for everyone who has travelled in it - except where it allows for exposition, or in two proper instances - writings of Satan* and the co-ordinates on the inside of the hearse ship this season

*And if you're going to keep resurrecting characters why not this one?? One of the best characters they had and they shoved him in a black hole... forgetting that the people who imprisoned him could have done that but didn't perhaps for a reason