The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Interesting but I don't know if it worked as a single coherent episode. I felt I should be taking notes.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cack. Fuck off and die, Clara. Oh wait. That never happens. 

• From the sublime to the frustrating.

There was some great ideas in there but they were buried under a pile of meh.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I thought it was a good episode with some interesting stuff going on. Moffatt was a complete twat for having a male to female regeneration though, utterly senseless and an insult to the whole of Dr Who. They are just trying to line up a female doctor. They have also changed the whole regeneration, why do they keep messing with stuff!?!? It never made them immortal, where's the danger in that, it spared them from a mortal wound that didn't kill them.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Well I thought that was a belter.
    My V key is broken
  • A good episode i thought, with some great acting from capaldi.
    I dont think its the last we've seen of clara, similar to rose with tennant.
    Not the best series, but i really like capaldi's doctor.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Despite some massive flaws, I think that was the best series for quite some time. Capaldi carries so much for me, an inspirational signing. I fear that they will dumb down with the next doctor to get the female audience back though.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited December 2015
    The new PC version of Doctor Who - nobody dies. I thought the episode was a mess. Coleman and Williams flying off in their own Tardis smells of a future spin-off series to me. The hybrid was .. nothing in particular and the Doctor broke the rules bringing back Clara but goes unpunished. Thank God Moffat is off .. we might get some decent writers.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I can't quite believe I'm saying this given how much I like Jenna and her perky little personality, but the Clara not being really completely permanently dead thing is getting tiresome no matter how many times they show the raven bit.

Capaldi is still the best doctor for a long time - at least since Ecclestone - and Clara *was* a great companion, but the whole thing has become unnecessarily convoluted in search of a good plot idea and some decent scriptwriting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm pretty sure one of the other Time Lords (Romana? Not sure) crossed genders when regenerating, and let's not forget Missy. Either way, the precedent was already set before this episode.

The major problem with this episode - apart from Clara suddenly going from being dead to being immortal - is that Gallifrey was supposed to be trapped somewhere, yet Doc and Clara both managed to jump across time with no effort whatsoever just by grabbing the nearest TARDIS.

If it was that easy, why haven't we been seeing Time Lords all over the place?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Despite some massive flaws, I think that was the best series for quite some time. Capaldi carries so much for me, an inspirational signing. I fear that they will dumb down with the next doctor to get the female audience back though.
    I totally agree about the series and Capaldi ...
    Interesting hint about a half human Doctor in the final episode.

I have a reformed (and neutered) feral Tom cat who is now my Oil City'workshop cat' ... and who is known as the Doctor ... 
    Who says regeneration has to include opposable thumbs? He is saving the universe one sachet of Felix at a time!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Dumb down? If they get any lower in the intelligence department, it'll make Galactica 1980 look good. 

Capaldi is potentially the best Doctor ever. However he's been let down by some poor scripts and dire wooden acting from some of his co-stars. The budget seems to go on the CGI. Personally I'd prefer better scripts and put up with the wobbly Blue Peter style sets of old.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader

The high points this season have all been through dialogue: the Doctor and Davros sparring was the only redeeming factor of the opening two-parter, Capaldi's speech in the Zygon mess (horrible horrible horrible episodes), and now Capaldi taking on a whole episode virtually on his own. If there is a clash between the direction of Who in terms of the commercial versus the actual dramatic element, then they need to figure out which way to go and quickly. 
    Absolutely - the dialogue has been this season's charm for me and Capaldi does it well.
    I see that it could be a conflict of interest, and almost a hint that you could have two competing versions of Dr Who - the kids version and the after dark adults version. I could be seriously hooked on the latter I can see....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• The high points this season have all been through dialogue: the Doctor and Davros sparring was the only redeeming factor of the opening two-parter, Capaldi's speech in the Zygon mess (horrible horrible horrible episodes), and now Capaldi taking on a whole episode virtually on his own. If there is a clash between the direction of Who in terms of the commercial versus the actual dramatic element, then they need to figure out which way to go and quickly. 
    Absolutely - the dialogue has been this season's charm for me and Capaldi does it well.
    I see that it could be a conflict of interest, and almost a hint that you could have two competing versions of Dr Who - the kids version and the after dark adults version. I could be seriously hooked on the latter I can see....
    Torchwood was supposed to be the Adult spin off from Dr Who but people just complained about the sexual references so it became child friendly. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader

The high points this season have all been through dialogue: the Doctor and Davros sparring was the only redeeming factor of the opening two-parter, Capaldi's speech in the Zygon mess (horrible horrible horrible episodes), and now Capaldi taking on a whole episode virtually on his own. If there is a clash between the direction of Who in terms of the commercial versus the actual dramatic element, then they need to figure out which way to go and quickly. 
    Torchwood was supposed to be the Adult spin off from Dr Who but people just complained about the sexual references so it became child friendly. 
    I liked Torchwood although even I did think it may have been better with slightly more story and less sexual content...and as it was still considered part of the Dr Who franchise too many thought that their kids should have been allowed to watch it, and as such some of the sexual content - especially the gay focus of much of it may have been seen as going too far. 

May have worked better if it was something totally divorced from Dr Who.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    edited December 2015
    Yes because the writers of Torchwood simply assumed that "going adult" meant drugs and swearing and fucking. It was one-dimensional piffle.

X-Files was a huge success with barely a swear word in it and a lack of exposed baps. Ho hum. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yes because the writers of Torchwood simply assumed that "going adult" meant drugs and swearing and fucking. It was one-dimensional piffle.

X-Files was a huge success with barely a swear word in it and a lack of exposed baps. Ho hum. 

^^

This.

• Fretwired said:

^^

This.
    ^^^ And this!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    But imagine X-Files with exposed baps.

Gillian's, in particular.

Mmmm...

@-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom