The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754

It wasn't ruined by RTD. It started very well with Eccleston and the Tennant era turned into schmaltz. Moffat came along and the first Matt Smith season was fucking brilliant. Again, like RTD, it turned into schmaltz. One magical fairy girl worked: Clara Oswald on the other hand was absolute fucking shite. 

But then something odd happened and the 50th anniversary episode was fantastic. Capaldi's reveal... wow. Tom Baker... astounding. 

But then it was back to Clara's shite. Blah blah blah new Doctor with a shit first line, a shit first season, and a whole load of shit since. 

All of this. Sherlock went the same way. Great start, then sloppy trying-to-look-clever writing spoiled it.

I haven't watched the last xmas one and I haven't seen this one yet. I guess I'll catch up at some point, but I'm not in any hurry
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    If it happened in one series, the Moff could be forgiven. But it's been two series running concurrently, two of the highest profile Beeb shows around, and he's had two outstanding lead actors at his disposal. 

And in each one, it's when he's introduced the mystery woman that it's all gone to shit. Mary Watson, meet Clara Oswald. Then you have the hammy lady villain. Missy McMaster, meet Eurus Holmes. Smug clever-clever writing that congratulates itself on the twists but fails to get the basics right. It says everything about the Capaldi era on Who that the best single episode is the one on his own. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26464
    If it happened in one series, the Moff could be forgiven. But it's been two series running concurrently, two of the highest profile Beeb shows around, and he's had two outstanding lead actors at his disposal. 

And in each one, it's when he's introduced the mystery woman that it's all gone to shit. Mary Watson, meet Clara Oswald. Then you have the hammy lady villain. Missy McMaster, meet Eurus Holmes. Smug clever-clever writing that congratulates itself on the twists but fails to get the basics right. It says everything about the Capaldi era on Who that the best single episode is the one on his own. 
    You know what I find endlessly frustrating, though? None of that was ever actually necessary - there are plenty of unfinished stories and mysteries in the existing Dr Who canon, certainly enough to keep massive story arcs going for years.
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    edited April 2017
    think my issue with doctor who (and to an extent Sherlock, tho I stopped watching that) is kinda what has been mentioned. They spend too much time telling us how clever he is, not enough time actually showing it. Oh, and ofc, the BS ghost in the machine cop out endings. It's getting to the point where I'm not fussed if I watch  the show or not.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

You know what I find endlessly frustrating, though? None of that was ever actually necessary - there are plenty of unfinished stories and mysteries in the existing Dr Who canon, certainly enough to keep massive story arcs going for years.
    It felt like Moff went down the route of trying to create mythology which is stupid. Those mythological elements of Who have generally come up by accident. Take something like regeneration for instance. There wasn't some grand materplan, it was simply a clear way of explaining the change in lead actor and becomes one of the defining elements of Whodom. 

All this and I haven't even mentioned the pointless Movellans from last night's episode. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    think my issue with doctor who (and to an extent Sherlock, tho I stopped watching that) is kinda what has been mentioned. They spend too much time telling us how clever he is, not enough time actually showing it. Oh, and ofc, the BS ghost in the machine cop out endings. It's getting to the point where I'm not fussed if I watch  the show or not.
    ^^

This.

Last night's episode started well, got better and then fell apart.

I saw the very first Doctor Who live in the 1960s and watched it through the 70s. I don't care about old back stories, the Rani or any of that shite. And every time I see Missy I think she's going to break into song - whose idea was it to make her look like Mary Poppins? Long story arcs back to the past are for the Who geeks. Forget them.

And time has moved on - the Dalek's don't frighten anybody these days. New monsters and villans are needed. Good riddance to Moffat and co - perhaps the new team can resurrect the show.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 981
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    ^^

This.

Last night's episode started well, got better and then fell apart.

I saw the very first Doctor Who live in the 1960s and watched it through the 70s. I don't care about old back stories, the Rani or any of that shite. And every time I see Missy I think she's going to break into song - whose idea was it to make her look like Mary Poppins? Long story arcs back to the past are for the Who geeks. Forget them.

And time has moved on - the Dalek's don't frighten anybody these days. New monsters and villans are needed. Good riddance to Moffat and co - perhaps the new team can resurrect the show.
    Has Mr Evans announced yet then?
    Capaldi will regenerate into Mary Berry hopefully. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Okay not faultless (the plot resolution was basically pants) but that was much better than any previous Capaldi Who. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    good episode let down, as eric says, by poor plot resoluton.

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 458
    Considering the last episode Frank Cottrell-Boyce wrote for Who was In the Forest of the Night (a truly dreadful episode), that was much better, but it still had a dumb sweep of deus ex machina. Progress in the right direction though.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Not the best, but the best for a while
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Most of it was a good episode, went off the boil at the end but it's been two basically good episodes for me. 
    Sound idea and overall a good episode right up until Sonic the Screwdriver rebooted the robots and the Doctor negotiated a deal ...

Not a bad episode ... ending could have been better. Next week's looks good.

good idea, but too big for a 50 min episode. Would be better suited to film length to fully explore the plot.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    What happened to the insects?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    What happened to the insects?

There's a few in my bloody shed I think..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Well that's 4 episodes I have basically liked so far. Pearl Mackie is a good assistant in my book, a very good actress (not that she shone in this particular episode)
    axisus said:
    Well that's 4 episodes I have basically liked so far. Pearl Mackie is a good assistant in my book, a very good actress (not that she shone in this particular episode)

hard to shine when you had David Suchet putting in such a good performance, I thought he was outstanding.