The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Yes, she is. Saturday's episode confirmed it for anyone with doubts.
    It did? I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been apparently. Was it him talking about how he was worried about his future?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    Somewhat bewildered, I'd always assumed that Missy was a regeneration of The Master :/

Must've missed the memo .....
    She might be. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey etc etc.

Or she might not be. 

Who knows tbh. I'm past caring.
    Yes, she is. Saturday's episode confirmed it for anyone with doubts.
    Moffat refused to confirm or deny that Missy was the Master in his Q&A session after last week's episode. I'm not sure she is as it's likely she'll join forces with the Doctor to defeat the Master.

In any case the Doctor has already been a woman .... ;-)

I hope the next series gets some decent writers.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Fretwired said:

I hope the next series gets some decent writers.
    Yep.  It's been patchy.  Waste of Peter Capaldi's talets.  Pearl Mackie too.  Need to give the gender politics a rest too - getting waaay too preachy.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I'd give it 5/10 ... started off OK, typical PC rubbish rant .. poor ending with water world girl. Presumable she could have saved the people, the ship and maybe the series ..

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I wasn't watching closely enough so I'm not sure if it all made sense or not. The woman who played Bill did a great job I thought. And not just dead and written off either (as predicted). A few hints/ bluffs / in jokes about being Dr who and future directions. Generally all much better than the last series but very inconsistent. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm not entirely sure i understood all that.
    At one stage i thought the water girl was the new doctor based on all that business in the tardis.
    So is capaldi actually leaving now? I thought he wasnt going to be in the xmas special?
    I'm not entirely sure i understood all that.
    At one stage i thought the water girl was the new doctor based on all that business in the tardis.
    So is capaldi actually leaving now? I thought he wasnt going to be in the xmas special?
    Bill was a cyberman and deus ex machina the water girl appears and regenerates her as a 'higher being' so that kids can go to bed knowing she's still sort of alive even if she's not human - she has left the show though. Moffat said in last week's Q&A that she was 'dead' .... Moffat also said the regeneration will be different and will happen at Christmas, so as all the women have gone are we going to have a female Doctor?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    A few hints/ bluffs / in jokes about being Dr who and future directions. 
    The jelly babies!!!!!

Fretwired said:

....so as all the women have gone are we going to have a female Doctor?

Meh. All the women have gone before, and we didn't have a female Doctor. Frankly, the most likely outcome is that he goes back to an "old" face - he said he didn't want a new one. We also have Tom Baker's precedent as The Curator - he specifically said that he was going back to a few "old favourites".
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    The Master: "Is the future going to be all girl?"
    The Doctor:  "We can only hope."

Bluff or double bluff? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Meh. All the women have gone before, and we didn't have a female Doctor. Frankly, the most likely outcome is that he goes back to an "old" face - he said he didn't want a new one. We also have Tom Baker's precedent as The Curator - he specifically said that he was going back to a few "old favourites".
    Matt Smith said he wished he hadn't left and as far as I can remember he's done bugger all since he left Doctor Who .. I wouldn't rule out a woman though as Moffat said they are going to do something very different.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    A few hints/ bluffs / in jokes about being Dr who and future directions. 
    The jelly babies!!!!!
    I think that was the best moment in the entire series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    For me:

Eccleston: left way too early
    Tennant: past sell-by date
    Smith: past sell-by date
    Capaldi: leaving too early

I haven't watched the last two episodes yet, although I know stuff in them. I almost can't be bothered knowing how rubbish Moffat can get. 

Fretwired said:

....so as all the women have gone are we going to have a female Doctor?

Apparently Phoebe Waller-Bridge is currently the bookies favourite as she's worked with the new show runner on Broadchurch and he's keen to have a woman. The Whovians on the main Doctor Who forum think the next Doctor is a woman.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    I haven't watched it all series but somehow ended up with it on last night so I stayed to see how it would end.  It was good to see the vintage-style cybermen but plotwise it just seems like they can do whatever the fuck they like - kill people off, bring then back, whatever - and justify it all with some pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.  I think it's just not for me any more.

Fretwired said:
    Matt Smith said he wished he hadn't left and as far as I can remember he's done bugger all since he left Doctor Who .. I wouldn't rule out a woman though as Moffat said they are going to do something very different.
    Matt Smith is playing the Duke of Edinburgh in The Crown.  I haven't seen it but I understand it's been successful and quite well-regarded.

Fretwired said:
    Matt Smith is playing the Duke of Edinburgh in The Crown.  I haven't seen it but I understand it's been successful and quite well-regarded.
    OK .. haven't seen that .. I doubt he'll return anyway.

edited July 2017
    Philly_Q said:
    I haven't watched it all series but somehow ended up with it on last night so I stayed to see how it would end.  It was good to see the vintage-style cybermen but plotwise it just seems like they can do whatever the fuck they like - kill people off, bring then back, whatever - and justify it all with some pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.  I think it's just not for me any more.

Bill went the way of Clara .. why can't they just kill people off if they don't want them any more? I'm surprised God hasn't shown up in the odd episode. Moffat has gone so let's hope things improve.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Following a great 1st episode I was left a little disappointed with the second half.  Both the way they dealt with the Master/Missy and how Bill was "saved" by the water entity.  I agree that if they are going to kill off a major character then just once in a while they should do it so they are seen to die.   And then it gets really weird when Hogwart's caretaker turns up.

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Following a great 1st episode I was left a little disappointed with the second half.  Both the way they dealt with the Master/Missy and how Bill was "saved" by the water entity.  I agree that if they are going to kill off a major character then just once in a while they should do it so they are seen to die.   And then it gets really weird when Hogwart's caretaker turns up.
    ... as William Hartnell's Doctor.

Which is funny, seeing as he played William Hartnell in the anniversary documentary/show.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

... as William Hartnell's Doctor.

Which is funny, seeing as he played William Hartnell in the anniversary documentary/show.
    I think it's why he was chosen ... ;-)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Put me down for a "meh". Rehashing the clara/Dalek thing, crossed with the Danny/Cyberman thing, rendering the entire Master/Missy thing pointless, though conveniently leaving all of it open enough that either could actually regenerate into someone else entirely. 

Bill saved by love, obviously. 

And the Doctor being in regeneration peril, except it's false jeopardy because 1) we know the doctor won't die, he'll just regenerate, and 2) we know a  new guy is getting introduced at christmas, so we basically know how that will play out.

Is the christmas one being done by Moffat or Chibnall?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires