The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    They will have to announce it soon, they can't delay outside filming on the Christmas special much more!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm guessing that Time Lords swing both ways then. You could be a male TL who's wife regenerates into a man. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    axisus said:
    I'm guessing that Time Lords swing both ways then. You could be a male TL who's wife regenerates into a man. 
    The Moff does seem to have hinted at that as part of the general preachiness about human (OK, Gallifreyan, but it's humans he's preaching to) sexuality in the show. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    axisus said:
    They don't marry, do they? They certainly can't reproduce, and I've never read anything about married Time Lords.

Even if they did, I'd assume that - since regeneration causes a personality change, often a significant one - any regeneration would usually mean the end of that life and the beginning of a new one, thus any marriage is annulled..
    <space for hire>
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Dr had grandchildren once upon a time, although maybe they were adopted or something. I lost track somewhere. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    The Dr had grandchildren once upon a time, although maybe they were adopted or something. I lost track somewhere. 
    The Doctor's origins are somewhat murky, though - if Lungbarrow is considered canon, then his grandchildren were from his previous incarnation as The Other (rather than from a previous regeneration). In that case, the concept of a "family" ceased to be once the Time Lords were rendered sterile and they used the Looms to continue the species.

To make it even more complicated, The Other wasn't even necessarily Gallifreyan at all. There's another story, too, which suggests he could even have originally been human and a time traveller from the 18th century who, after lots of travelling through time, discovered the secret to regeneration and gifted the Time Lords with two hearts and gave them the means with which to create the Eye of Harmony (and then chucked himself into the Looms in the hope of being reborn one day, because Rassilon was going to kill him off anyway).

In summary, the whole "grandchildren" thing has been written around loads of times. Nobody really knows.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The Doctor's origins are somewhat murky, though - if Lungbarrow is considered canon, then his grandchildren were from his previous incarnation as The Other (rather than from a previous regeneration). In that case, the concept of a "family" ceased to be once the Time Lords were rendered sterile and they used the Looms to continue the species.

To make it even more complicated, The Other wasn't even necessarily Gallifreyan at all. There's another story, too, which suggests he could even have originally been human and a time traveller from the 18th century who, after lots of travelling through time, discovered the secret to regeneration and gifted the Time Lords with two hearts and gave them the means with which to create the Eye of Harmony (and then chucked himself into the Looms in the hope of being reborn one day, because Rassilon was going to kill him off anyway).

In summary, the whole "grandchildren" thing has been written around loads of times. Nobody really knows.
    That's cleared that up for me then :anguished: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

That's cleared that up for me then :anguished: 
    Exactly...there have been a lot of hints since the revival (like the "grandchildren" comment) which sorta-kinda imply that Lungbarrow is considered canon, and even that they were considering sorting it out once and for all, but they keep shying away from it. It'd make an epic story arc, and it's possible that's where it's going with the finale just aired.
    <space for hire>
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    axisus said:
    They don't marry, do they? They certainly can't reproduce, and I've never read anything about married Time Lords.

Doesn't Moffat infer that Dr Who Marries River Song at some point. I assume that she is a time lord as she regenerated once?
    axisus said:
    axisus said:

Doesn't Moffat infer that Dr Who Marries River Song at some point. I assume that she is a time lord as she regenerated once?
    I'm pretty sure he inferred that The Master was getting a stiffy in the last episode ( maybe I was reading too much into it...)when he was holding Missy so maybe they aren't completely asexual. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626

I've always considered myself a Doctor Who fan but you totally lost me there!
    ennspek said:

I've always considered myself a Doctor Who fan but you totally lost me there!
    The Other was one of the three fathers of the Time Lords - along with Omega and Rassilon, he created the means by which they all travel through time. That would probably have been useful information :)
    <space for hire>
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    "When the Eleventh Doctor was alone, the Curator made his presence known when the Doctor noted how he could retire and be a curator, with the Curator exclaiming that he "really [thought] [the Doctor] might." After the Doctor noted that he "never forget[s] a face", the Curator merely noted that the Doctor would revisit a few in years to come but just the "old favourites". "

Was this a set up for David Bradley's appearance/tenure??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

"When the Eleventh Doctor was alone, the Curator made his presence known when the Doctor noted how he could retire and be a curator, with the Curator exclaiming that he "really [thought] [the Doctor] might." After the Doctor noted that he "never forget[s] a face", the Curator merely noted that the Doctor would revisit a few in years to come but just the "old favourites". "

Was this a set up for David Bradley's appearance/tenure??
    I assume so - and even if they hadn't planned that far ahead, it was a sensible thing to do because it doesn't lock them into an end-game, while allowing the possibility of bringing older Doctors back for one-offs without having to do the tired old "Doctor meets the Doctor" thing.
    <space for hire>
    perhaps then the Capaldi replacement could be a while off if they decide to cycle through a few past doctors?? like a roulette wheel lol.. Odd I know but I rule nothing out.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I do wonder if we see a few past faces then?? in some kind of regeneration glitch timeline..
    My trading feedback

I do wonder if we see a few past faces then?? in some kind of regeneration glitch timeline..
    Wouldn't need to be a glitch - Time Lords can choose their new faces if they're good enough at it (from memory, when Romana regenerated she tried on lots of different genders, races etc before settling on one). Ol' Doc didn't finish his education, though, so he doesn't know how. I think the conversation in the Gallery infers that he'll finally figure it out one day.
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    So a whole season of no "new" doctors, but lots of old ones? Interesting.

Or maybe two doctors. A new one, and a guest old one. Might be a good narrative for him to find himself.