The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    I misscounted .. you're right - 12 Doctors, although in Who folklore he's only allowed 12 regenerations. I'm guessing the Time Lords may bequeath a further 12 regenerations [as they now haven't been destroyed] .... ;-)
    Aye. Don't forget that 12 regenerations means 13 Doctors, though (your previous post seems to imply 12).

In any case...yes, it's pretty much a given that he's going to get a bunch more regenerations at some point, because they certainly don't intend for Capaldi to be the last (otherwise why would they intentionally use up a regeneration when it could be explained away easily enough?).
    Hang on I was right - Tennat used two regenerations. From the Radio Times article:

Officially until now, Matt Smith has been the 11th Doctor, meaning fans have started to wonder what will happen in 5-10 years time when we reach 13 after Peter Capaldi.

But Moffat has moved the goalposts, or perhaps more aptly stuck his own sonic screwdriver into the history of the show and given it a big twist.

On Saturday he told me Matt is actually the 13th and final doctor. John Hurt is officially now a doctor and David Tennant used up an extra regeneration during his stay.

In essence, the end of Matt at Christmas should mean the end of Doctor Who.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said: Valeyard. Wasn't he only a potential future incarnation?
    <space for hire>
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited November 2013
    Can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm certainly not watching it again.

Off to TARDIS Data Core I go.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    Valeyard.
    That cropped up on Saturday ....

Lixarto said:
    Can't remember off the top of my head, and I'm certainly not watching it again.

Off to TARDIS Data Core I go.
    Wasn't it something to do with the Doctors dark side ... it will return in the last incarnation.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Well, I'm glad they didn't do the whole Star Trek reboot thing - and I feared they might.

As for Capaldi not feeling guilty - he will, Hurt said the timelines had been crossed and therefore he'd cease to remember - which is useful as the last three doctors would still believe they destroyed the timelords.. and have some angsty soliloquies.

So here's the thing ... if Galiffrey isn't time-locked and the destruction of the Daleks wasn't timey wimey - how do you get Metaltrons and Rassilon zapping The Master?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited November 2013
    frankus said:
    So here's the thing ... if Galiffrey isn't time-locked and the destruction of the Daleks wasn't timey wimey - how do you get Metaltrons and Rassilon zapping The Master?
    Well, the events of the Time War are still time-locked (The Moment was the only reason the assorted Docs could get back in, and there's nothing left that they know of that's powerful enough to do that). Rassilon got to The Master before the end of the war, so that all still works.

The only thing that's changed is the way the war ended - everybody still thinks that it was mutual destruction, it's just that Gallifrey is stuck in a parallel universe and locked into a single moment until it can be brought back.

What I don't get is that previously the Doctor gave his reasons for ending it the way he did as being that the universe was better off without Daleks or Time Lords in it - he blamed both for the war, and he described the Time Lords as basically a shower of bastards. Why, then, should he be so excited at the prospect of bringing Gallifrey back?
    <space for hire>
    Because you love your family even when you don't like them perhaps?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    Valeyard.

I did wonder how they were going to fit that in. Between the 12th and 13th, right?

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• Lixarto said:
    I get enough of that from my psychotherapist without getting it on here, thank you very much.
    :(

Oh, the Doctor, oh...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Lixarto said:
    Probably wants a new TARDIS ... it' about time it changed from a police box.

Yes. And they'll change the music too.
  • so if im reading this right / watched correctyl saturday john hurt goes back in time and morphs into capaldi - is hethen going to be an older or younger version of an 'existing' Dr and then gets another dozen or so lives for saving galifrei..?!?!

Lixarto said:
    Yes. And they'll change the music too.
    Is this happening then? A reboot after the 12th Doctor? Someone quoted Moffat as saying he's set everything up for the Doctor to morph into a woman.

• bigdawg said:
    so if im reading this right / watched correctyl saturday john hurt goes back in time and morphs into capaldi - is hethen going to be an older or younger version of an 'existing' Dr and then gets another dozen or so lives for saving galifrei..?!?!

Hurt is in between McGann and Ecclestone.

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• bigdawg said:
    so if im reading this right / watched correctyl saturday john hurt goes back in time and morphs into capaldi - is hethen going to be an older or younger version of an 'existing' Dr and then gets another dozen or so lives for saving galifrei..?!?!

I'm only a casual fan of all this, but was there or wasn't there a regeneration sequence where McGann changed into Ecclestone...?
    edited November 2013
    bigdawg said:

I'm only a casual fan of all this, but was there or wasn't there a regeneration sequence where McGann changed into Ecclestone...?
    This ...

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    edited November 2013
    bigdawg said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Explains why nobody saw McGann's regeneration.

• Fretwired said:
    bigdawg said:

This ...

Is that fan made? Because that shows McGann after he regenerated from McCoy in the morgue.

• Can't do youtube right now, but I assume I haven't actually spotted a big hole in the whole thing and it's all explained.