Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Vintage guitars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I had a 72 (from memory) refined SB Jag a few years ago that was terrible. Neck pocket was huge, had holes drilled in back, and was quite a few piece body, but sounded good. I sold it on, and I believe its currenlty For sale on denmark st for about £3k, with different scratchplate and no mention of refin. My Marr Jag which replaced it was 10 times the guitar.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have owned about 20 or more 70's strats and tele's, some have been poor, some have been great, but if you take an average then it's below the quality of any MIJ equivalent made in last 30+years.
    I owned a 76 sb tele, that was perfect, light and great tone plus a 79 strat that had a fantastic figured Birdseye maple neck, so yes some good ones around.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think what drives the market is middle age.

Guys in their 50s whose kids have left home now have the money to buy the guitars they lusted after 40 years previously.

Hence the interest in and attendant high prices of 70s guitars at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkey;338834" said:
    I think what drives the market is middle age.

Guys in their 50s whose kids have left home now have the money to buy the guitars they lusted after 40 years previously.

Hence the interest in and attendant high prices of 70s guitars at the moment.
    At least one industry person I know has a term for this type of person; 'Cool greys'....
  • Philly_Q said:
    I think anyone over the age of 40.... well, maybe closer to 50.... grew up with the "received wisdom" that '70s and early '80s Fenders, and to a slightly lesser extent Gibsons, were crap. .

There was no internet back then, dissemination of information was via word of mouth based on direct experience - not coloured by mass reviews or fashionable brand bashing. Those that owned pancake Gibson's and plastic Fender's never had the advantage of networking, so came to the conclusion independently that both these marques were in effect 'shite'. Ok, there would have been limited propagation from music shops, but nothing that would cause unfounded rumours.

Another factor was the rise in MIJ guitars, especially importers such as Fletcher coppock and newman whose incredible original MIJ electrics sold under various brand names. These guitars were annihilating the USA models in sound, build quality and started too be used by the musicians of the day.

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It has to be misplaced nostalgia over common sense. Or the desire to show others that you can spend a lot of money on something not very good, just because you can.  They aren't nice to look at, well made or sound that good.  It is the idea of owning it over practical considerations.  Each to their own of course.  Personally I wouldn't bother.

I was going to include being the same as classic cars and bikes but I owned a 1968 Volvo and a 1982 Suzuki Katana so had best keep quiet about that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a 72 (from memory) refined SB Jag a few years ago that was terrible. Neck pocket was huge, had holes drilled in back, and was quite a few piece body, but sounded good. I sold it on, and I believe its currenlty For sale on denmark st for about £3k, with different scratchplate and no mention of refin. My Marr Jag which replaced it was 10 times the guitar.

Was it a 74 with bound neck?
    @GavHaus just sold one to a shop on Denmark Street
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

Yeah that was the one. I vaguely remember someone on here having it.

The burst on it was really nice. Probably the best faded colour I have seen rather than the usual crude 70s bullseye.
    Did you do that yourself?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    USA dealer pricing is more consistent and is IMO the starting point for judging values.
    I don't know if the guitars we are discussing are vintage. The (adjective) definition which says it is a high quality item from a past time, makes some sense to me. The Fenders are clearly from the past, but are struggling with the first bit.

The burst on it was really nice. Probably the best faded colour I have seen rather than the usual crude 70s bullseye.
    Did you do that yourself?
    No I imagine it was done stateside many years before, as it was nicely faded! It came to UK through a well known session guitarist friend, who was bothered by the changes, so offered it to me. When I got it, it had different knobs, and wiring was a mess.
  • It didn't do it for me, to say the least. However it paid off my overdraft, so no foul. Pickups sounded great, but everything else was horrid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297

I had a 72 (from memory) refined SB Jag a few years ago that was terrible. Neck pocket was huge, had holes drilled in back, and was quite a few piece body, but sounded good. I sold it on, and I believe its currenlty For sale on denmark st for about £3k, with different scratchplate and no mention of refin. My Marr Jag which replaced it was 10 times the guitar.

It's likely that a '74 Jaguar - the very last year of 'production', or at least sale - was not in fact made in '74 but put together from a lot of rejected parts produced much earlier, just to get rid of them. So it's quite likely that at least one part would be dated '72, and that it might have some serious QC issues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah, to get technical about it, it was shit
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    It's no different with cars, motorbikes and no doubt loads of other things.
    Modern equivalents stop, steer, and work better than their older relatives.
    Guitars are the same.
    I don't think many people lash out a huge pile of dosh on old guitars expecting them to perform like a new one. They lash out huge piles of dosh for rarity, investment and personal satisfaction.
    Personally I'm slowly finding 1976 instruments despite some of them being dodgy to say the least.
    Unfortunately there's a tendency for sellers to over value stuff just because it's old.
    As you say it is not just guitars.

Middle aged blokes who couldn't afford all the shiny stuff they saw in windows as a kid suddenly find they have a fair amount of disposable income (mortgage paid etc) and want that old stuff like old Rolex watches and Fenders they used to drool over in their youth.

It has nothing at all to do with playability or quality. 

They probably have other, modern, stuff for that. 
    ;)
  • Neil said:
    It's no different with cars, motorbikes and no doubt loads of other things.
    Modern equivalents stop, steer, and work better than their older relatives.
    Guitars are the same.
    I don't think many people lash out a huge pile of dosh on old guitars expecting them to perform like a new one. They lash out huge piles of dosh for rarity, investment and personal satisfaction.
    Personally I'm slowly finding 1976 instruments despite some of them being dodgy to say the least.
    Unfortunately there's a tendency for sellers to over value stuff just because it's old.
    As you say it is not just guitars.

Middle aged blokes who couldn't afford all the shiny stuff they saw in windows as a kid suddenly find they have a fair amount of disposable income (mortgage paid etc) and want that old stuff like old Rolex watches and Fenders they used to drool over in their youth.

It has nothing at all to do with playability or quality. 

They probably have other, modern, stuff for that. 
    ;)
    I'm nearly 60 so in that group but I prefer to have Fender CS and Gibson Historic guitars because I play them, and I have no desire to own the dodgy 70s versions of the same thing. A great 70s one at sensible money maybe, but how likely is that to come up?
    richardhomer said: At least one industry person I know has a term for this type of person; 'Cool greys'....
    I accept your categorisation, with pleasure!  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/