Which fast guitarists move me emotionally?

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
Shawn Lane - yes
Guthrie Govan - no
Paul Gilbert - yes
Yngwie Malmsteen - no
Allan Holdsworth - yes yes yes
Alex Machacek - no
Steve Vai - yes
John Petrucci - no

Can't see any one reason for it, just an observation
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Satriani and GG are the only two that really do it for me on an emotional level. 
    I enjoy the inventiveness of Vai, but most other technical guitarists don't do much for me.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray, Chris De Garmo and Michael Wilton........Even Kirk Hamster is going to get a mention.....

They're the guitarists I listened to when I first started listening to music and attempting guitaring.....

Ok so they're not exactly "shredders" but still "fast"

I've not really listened to Vai, but really should, I have a few Satch albums, which I really need to listen to again.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I don't really get into the hero worship aspect of guitar. Dunno why, but I can't detach a guitarist from the band... each piece matters. But no, Dreamtheater never did anything emotionally for me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    I don't really get into the hero worship aspect of guitar. Dunno why, but I can't detach a guitarist from the band... each piece matters. But no, Dreamtheater never did anything emotionally for me.
    I agree with this sentiment. Lots of people seem to hero worship people like Roben Ford who are undeniably great guitarists, but haven't really produced any great recorded music. Great guitar in a poor song is to me just poor music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Chet Atkins

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Albert Lee - yes
    Ricky Skaggs - no
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51
    Paco Di Lucia - Tomatito - Vicente Amigo - Russell Malone - Martin Taylor - Jimmy Bruno - Barney Kessel - Lenny Breau - Scotty Anderson 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited August 2013
    John Petrucci - yes
    Guthrie Govan - yes
    Paul Gilbert - yes
    Steve Vai - yes
    Jason Becker - yes
    Buckethead - yes
    Joe Satriani - yes
    Mattias Eklundh - yes

Yngwie Malmsteen - no
    Michael Angelo Batio - no (his wig does move me to tears of laughter though)
    Rusty Cooley - emphatically no
    Tony MacAlpine - not really, I do like his stuff but it's not "moving" as such
    Michael Romeo - not really, I do like Symphony X in small doses though and he is a fantastic shredder
    Chris Impellitteri - no
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Ritchie Blackmore - yes, Yes, oh YES!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    None. 

I've never found anything remotely noteworthy that's faster than Page, Mayer, Nels Cline, Nils Lofgren. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    edited August 2013
    Alvin Lee, I saw TYA in that film of woodstock and I was emotionally moved.

I can't say I'd want a whole evening of it, and didn't become a follower in the years that err...followed. The ability to play fast but the taste not to most of the time is a quality I appreciate and admire in a guitarist.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I want to add someone to this list, as someone who plays fast and moves me emotionally - Mikael Akerfeldt. I really love his playing. He's maybe not *the* fastest ever, but he has some pretty quick runs in Opeth that make me just shiver with gay-delight.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I enjoy Zoltan Bathory and Jason Hook's playing from Five Finger Death Punch.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• This bugger's as fast as my tiny mind wants to go..... :))

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    ....but he still can't play standing up.    ;)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2013
    I've seen Vai, Satriani and Guthrie live and yeah all fantastic on an emotional level. Especially the first time I saw Vai play "For the Love of God". I'd practically worn out that section on my VHS taped of the telly "Expo '92" concert, so to see him up close was amazing. I saw Guthrie last year, and I think he's playing near me again early next (with the Aristocrats) so I'll go to that. They were fantasic, a lot of humour in the performances as well. The Iron Maiden guys as well, where 'fast' playing works within a song format, (although my favorite guitar moment in a Maiden song is the end of that breakdown bit in the middle of "Two Minutes to Midnight")
  • None of 'em really (unless Jeff Beck and Roy Buchanan count as 'fast'). 'Stunt' guitar as Frank Zappa called it really doesn't do it for me in any way, shape or form....
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    None of 'em really 
    this.

I appreciate a piece of playing,  but "worship" no one player 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    I can't explain any of this ....

I appreciate the technicality and incredible skills, but you won't find me listening to it for pleasure ....
    Pat Metheny
    Steve Vai
    Robben Ford
    Robert Cray
    Frank Zappa

Love it ....
    Mike Stern
    Joe Satriani (in small doses - ace in Chickenfoot)
    John Petrucci (ditto)
    Paul Gilbert
    Eric
    Larry Carlton
    Jeff Beck
    Steve Ray

As Bert says fanboi phase is over for me too, at various times been obsessed by Rory Gallagher, Eric, Steve Ray, Wes Montgomery .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno;7281" said:
    I can't explain any of this ....

I appreciate the technicality and incredible skills, but you won't find me listening to it for pleasure ....

Pat Metheny

Steve Vai

Robben Ford

Robert Cray

Frank Zappa

Love it ....

Mike Stern

Joe Satriani (in small doses - ace in Chickenfoot)

John Petrucci (ditto)

Paul Gilbert

Eric

Larry Carlton

Jeff Beck

Steve Ray

As Bert says fanboi phase is over for me too, at various times been obsessed by Rory Gallagher, Eric, Steve Ray, Wes Montgomery .....
    You clearly like EC the best. You're on first name terms!