HSP90 and Humbucker Combo

Hello,

Has anyone here put a HSP90 in the neck of their guitar (say a BG Pure 90) and a humbucker in the bridge? If so, how did it work out? Are there any issues with different output levels? Did it sound good? Have ordered a Pure 90 to fit in the neck of a Les Paul style guitar and was wondering how it's worked out for anyone else.

Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    I've never tried a humbucker-sized p90, but i've tried, er, at least one guitar with a bridge humbucker and a normal-sized p90 in the neck and it was just fine in terms of balance. As long as you go for reasonably similar outputs in each (i.e. if you go with a PAF-output humbucker go with a vintage-output P90; if you go with a metal-output humbucker go with a hotter P90... and even that might not be necessary because I always find PAF-output humbuckers in the neck match just fine with hotter bridge pickups) I imagine it should work just fine, as long as you like the tone of a neck P90.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    Most makers have a job to get the outputs of humbucker sized P90s up to the levels of regular P90s due to the narrower bobbin, therefore too much output is seldom a problem! Works fine with a 7.6k neck P90 and anything up to a 13k bridge unit as the weaker pickup is under the louder part of the string.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Nice, thanks for the replies!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    Most makers have a job to get the outputs of humbucker sized P90s up to the levels of regular P90s due to the narrower bobbin, therefore too much output is seldom a problem! Works fine with a 7.6k neck P90 and anything up to a 13k bridge unit as the weaker pickup is under the louder part of the string.
    I didn't know that about the bobbin but yeah the louder part of the string is why the lower output neck humbuckers normally work just fine for me...
  • I put a bare knuckle Mississippi queen in the neck of my strat a while back. I had a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the middle. I found the p90 a bit too fat and bloated sounding. It measured 6.8k but seemed like it was more powerful. I later moved it to the bridge position where it worked better for me.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • I put a bare knuckle Mississippi queen in the neck of my strat a while back. I had a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the middle. I found the p90 a bit too fat and bloated sounding. It measured 6.8k but seemed like it was more powerful. I later moved it to the bridge position where it worked better for me.
    I had the same experience with the mississippi queen in the neck position.  Too bassy for my liking (when i has the amp set up well for the bridge, and relative to other guitars.)
    Love an mq in the bridge though