engage boosters captain !!

Hi folks, due to a spinal condition and trying to recover from corrective surgery, I really struggle using pedals. Anyway, thats boring, my real problem is which route to take nxt. I have a standard US strat which I love, but would consider swapping for something with on board boost/pre-amp. Or should I consider getting my strat modded. If so, any ideas on what to use. I need something that's going to give me a big noticeable boost on lead breaks. I'm completely ignorant to all things concerning wiring and soldering, so would have to send my guitar in to an expert. Like most muso's, my budget is non-existent. So this takes me back in full circle, do I try for a straight swap for something that suits my current needs.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Welcome! And WHAT a conundrum! Have a WOW to get you started.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some of the current Gibson range have a built in 15db boost. The LP and SG Futura models do, and the LP Classic does too.
  • GazGaz Frets: 5
    Cheers for the WOW  :o)
    Yeh, unfortunately I'm a strat guy for the most part. I love the musicman stuff (had a silhouette once, should never have sold it). The Luke models do a push/push boost I think, out of my budget though. I was also thinking levinson blade with the on board pre-amp stuff, again big bucks for the original models. Thanks for the heads up on the LP's though, I didnt know they made models with db boosts on them, will have a look at some reviews on you tube
  • I built a little booster circuit into a Tokai Strat years ago (the pickups were very low output and I had a Hiwatt Custom 100 so couldn't get any overdrive at all). I can't remember where I got the design but think it was in a book. It ran from a little PP3 battery that sat between the tremolo springs, if I remember correctly. If clean boost is what you're after, how about the board from something like an MXR Microamp (or a cheap Chinese copy of the circuit)? That would easily fit under a Strat's scratchplate.
  • No need to butcher a pedal - Fuzzdog (aka Poodle's Pedal Parts) do several booster kits (including the Alembic Stratoblaster, which is the obvious one for this application) for less than £20. You need only worry about the switch and where to mount the PP3.
  • GazGaz Frets: 5
    Cheers guys, some good advice here  :o)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Soooo.

You're a man who likes the modded Supertstrat (Levinson, Musicman) needs an onboard boost, and could probably do with a weight relieved guitar ?

Don't suppose you've eyed up the James Tyler Studio Elite HD have you ?
    Verrry tasty Superstrat with a beautiful comfy neck. comes with an onboard Demeter Mid Boost AND he does hollowed out ones too.
    Bit pricey new mind..
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    If I was in your position I'd fit a super hard on sho booster into your guitar. Push pull switch to activate, it'd need a battery under the pick guard though.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited September 2014
    Surely Axetec have you covered here?

EDIT: I love the way you approached the first post. "Yeah, life-altering surgery, sucky recovery, blah blah...anyway, I have GAS...what should I buy?" :D
    <space for hire>
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited September 2014
    If you were vaguely considering changing out your Strat (not your favorite option option obviously, for obvious reasons), I can heartily recommend the Blade Texas, RH2 and RH4 models.  I have a Texas Pro and it is easier playing than a Fender and has the onboard trickery.  Really nice guitar.  Not my no.1 player so if you were interested............