NPD - Wampler Velvet

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
edited September 2014 in FX tFB Trader
Only had a quick go with it, but it's pretty nuts. 

This is what it sounds like:

Intention seems to be a huge sounding Gilmour emulating pedal. 
Appears to be a fuzz stacked into a distortion meaning you get loads of sustain, but it's not too fizzy and shrill into a clean amp. 

I'm loving it so far, very impressed that it also seems to work really well when you pull back the distortion especially on the "Tight" mode where it becomes a nice beefy distortion as you roll it back. 

My only concerns are that perhaps it might be voiced a bit too dark. Nearly all of the demos I've seen have the brightness on nearly full. It's fine for me as I have a fairly bright amp, but I can imagine it causing some people issues. 

The problem I've had with Wamplers in the past is that they can be bedroom pedals in my experience. Amazing at home, OK at practice and lost at the gig so that will remain to be seen.

I'm interested to hear others experience who have invested in one and especially any comparisions with the Suhr Rufus.

I'll update with more info as I get more chance to play it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• First dibs when you sell it. ;-))
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17601
    tFB Trader
    First dibs when you sell it. ;-))
    There is already one on the classifieds!

• Through some disturbance in the force, we need to be able to get together to compare the VF with the Rufus. Congrats on the new pedal
    tFB Trader
    Through some disturbance in the force, we need to be able to get together to compare the VF with the Rufus. Congrats on the new pedal
    Cheers dude
  • This was a very close second choice for me... but I ended up with a Guitarsystems Fuzztool.

Best fuzz I've owned (so far!)
    tFB Trader
    Through some disturbance in the force, we need to be able to get together to compare the VF with the Rufus. Congrats on the new pedal
    Yeah that would be cool!

Hopefully we will get a GAS Fest sorted in the new year.
  • Have you still got the Alter Ego Delay?.....if so get that after this and on the Echorec setting, that should be awesome.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Indeed I still have the Alter Ego, but the Velvet has thus far been used in isolation. 

I'll give that a go as thus far the Echorec setting is my least favorite on the Alter Ego.

• I'll give that a go as thus far the Echorec setting is my least favorite on the Alter Ego.
    Weirdo ;-)

Seriously though, it can sound too over the top clean, but something magical happens with a fair dose of fuzz feading into it and some nice slow playing.
    tFB Trader

I'll give that a go as thus far the Echorec setting is my least favorite on the Alter Ego.
    Weirdo ;-)

Seriously though, it can sound too over the top clean, but something magical happens with a fair dose of fuzz feading into it and some nice slow playing.
    Tried it today, still don't like it. 

It just sounds really murky and messy.

Much prefer the DMM, Tape, or Mod settings 
  • Oh my god, that demo sounds exactly like the "tone in my head" when it comes to distorted strats.
    tFB Trader
    The wife and daughter were out this evening so I got a chance to give it a thrashing. 

I proper love it.

I was playing it for ages and just kept finding more and more vast tones. 

That Brian Wampler is a proper clever bastard. Almost anything you do with it creates some new and huge sound. 

It sounds brilliant with a strat. At lower gains it really gets the single coil sound through which is really rare for a fuzz. 

I still think the Big mode is a bit overly massive so it's probably only going to get used for recording and playing ridiculous epic soundscape nonsense. I don't think it could be used live. 

The Tight mode starts with a really nice gritty distortion and then builds into masses of sweet infinite sustain. It's great for rhythm and lead. 

A few nice surprises: 

Most fuzzes hate neck humbuckers but this one goes into lovely Cream style woman tone in tight mode. 

Feeding a wah into it seems to really upset it and it goes completely bonkers. It makes it create a very strange gated sound which sounds brilliant and synthy.

It rather likes being hit with an overdrive which means you can go from the lower gain rhythm distortion sound to gilmour fuzz using the Badass OD already on my board. 

Best fuzz evahhhhh!
  • I've had mine 2 months and never played it yet... haha, not had the chance! Glad to hear you like yours though.

If anyone is after one in the UK... I'd sell mine, particularly before I got into it!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

@monquixote congrats on the NPD. I'd be interested how you find it in the cleaning up dept, and if your Tenny has Filtertrons what you make of it with those. Sounds good though, seems like it has enough balls to be heard in the mix too.

edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Just for you I've just given it a go through the Gretsch (which does indeed have Filtertrons). 

As expected it sounds rather cool. You can get some great Jack White tones at lower gains with the brightness pushed on the "Tight" side and then it gets into some big rock fuzz stuff with enough definition to work with the gain cranked up.

In the "Big" mode it's epic solo mayhem with a bit more obvious fizz to it. 

You can't get it to really go into nasty broken Neil Young territory, but then that's not really what it's for. 

Harry Maes demos the cleanup at about 5 minutes into this. 

It's pretty good
  • Damn you.

I want one now. I have no money.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Cheers for that monquixote, that's good to hear. Temptation levels have risen accordingly...
  • That's a great demo from Harry Maes, and a fantastic bit of playing too.

I just love watching his facial inflections too.

I don't like fuzz, but I love this pedal, it's gonna have to be done.
    (give me a PM when you allow the inveterate pedal flipper in you to consider parting with this, please Nick)

If you are wondering how classically fuzzy this pedal gets:

Duration 8:05

• I had one and sold it earlier this year. its the one pedal i regret selling and probably always will but it was a money thing. 

If you're into fuzz in anyway there really isn't any base that this pedal can't cover
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think I need to save up for one of these.