Removing string pins without damaging wood

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30888
Best way?

I always scratch bridge.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    A special tool?

Tbh, I usually just reach underneath the top and push up. Doesn't ruin the wood, but sure ruins my fingers. :)
  • They really shouldn't be (if you'll pardon the expression!) shoved in so hard that you can't get them out with your fingers.

If they are, the best fix is to wrap some thick card around them for protection and use pliers to extract them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Use a coin to protect your fingertip and push them out from the inside. Sounds tricky but is easy to get the hang of.

If that fails - very rare - it means the peg is so jammed that almost nothing will remove it and you'll probably have to drill it out.

There's no point in trying to pull it out from the top since you'll either chew up the bridge, snap the head off the peg, or both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Most string winders have a groove in them which is meant for removing string pins. That's what I use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Ummmm.....I hate to admit this but I never knew about the finger thing....

:(

But I've never had a pinned bridge acoustic until I bought a Taylor- my others were thru-bridges.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Bidley said:
    Most string winders have a groove in them which is meant for removing string pins. That's what I use.
    I've always found them completely useless unless the peg is so loose you can get it out with your fingers anyway!

The only problem with pushing it out from the inside is that if you need to change just one string you can't easily get your hand inside, but other than that I really don't know why anyone ever tries to do it from the outside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    As ICBM says. Coin and push. Never fails unless something is really stuck.
  • I use this on my fancy schmancy Larrivee:

Fender String Winder

It works perfectly, much betterer than the Planet Waves one that I also have.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Bidley said:
    Me too.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    My Taylor 310 has a set of brass pins [made by Pinz, the six spell my name :)].  I have never had any problem removing them but will keep the coin idea filed away.  Thanks @ICBM for the tip.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Set of small side cutters and a thick piece of cardboard works every time 
  • I push the loose string back into the hole which loosens the pin enough to pull it out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
    I managed to break a peg winder doing just that (Gibson-branded, not that it means owt), but that's probably just me being clumsy.

I usually gently push the base of them with the flat side of a pair of longnose pliers now (as per sweepy's suggestion).
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current