Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why Are Rotosound Guitar Strings Not So Popular?

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6903
    edited September 2014
    I always use Rotosound yellows...

I can't tell the difference I'm afraid.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use them but I prefer EBs in terms of feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i wouldn't mind using them, but they don't have heavy strings...the heavy ones they do have only goes up .58 or something, but with a wound 3rd string....D'Addario just has much more range and options to me.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited September 2014
    ICBM said:
    I have to admit I find them a bit dead-sounding straight out of the packet - and even though I like old strings, it's not quite the same. They go *really* dead pretty quickly too. I'm also not massively keen on the feel, they seem 'rough' or 'gritty' somehow.

The same is true of their bass strings - at least the traditional Swing Bass, which I don't like… surprisingly I *do* like the cheaper 'Roto Bass' ones.
    I could understand that. To me they have a nice warm sound, and I don't like D'addarios which sound too bright to me (don't really like the feel of them either). EDIT: I mean the guitar strings. I haven't tried the bass ones.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I've got my first ever set on my strat at the moment. They're absolutely fine. Not as bright as D'addarios. But then they can be overnearingly bright in an already bright guitar. Used EBs for years and had no problems with them either. I like all the strings.
  • Are they the ones that give you an extra free e string?
    If so, i tried two sets last year and hated them.
  • Hated them, quality in mid 90's was really poor. I had a shop at the time and ordered a load as I was always asked for their bass strings. But some were rusty in their packets, some seemed brittle etc.
    So I used to use them on SH guitars which needed restringing. 
    Jason Howe turned up one day in his black Saab convertible, and started looking round the shop and at my strings, and said do you not stock Rotosound guitar strings?  I said straight away, No Jason, as they are the worst I have ever bought, he was so surprised I even knew him, let alone slag his product off so quickly. 
    Never touched them since, and I am not that fussy with strings generally. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777
    I bought a selection of bass strings a few years ago and settled on Rotosound Funkmaster Stainless 30 - 90s, which I've used happily ever since. They're bright to begin with, but soon settle to a sound that pleases me and stay pretty much the same until I feel like changing them, which isn't very often (can't remember the last time I bought any new ones).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    D'Addario are the best because they have nice pretty coloured ball ends which makes a MASSIVE tonal difference as we all know.

Purple always sustains the best. By far.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Gassage said: pretty coloured ball ends
    Fender do this too - only with proper Custom Colours!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Don't like 'em personally. Have been given new sets with new guitars (I always bargain a few sets of strings into the deal) and the ones that haven't been rusty out of the packet have sounded dull quite quickly. Have had exactly the same experience with the Dean Markley cryo treated ones, fitted a set to my G&L and they went dead in a couple of days. D'addario or EB for me I'm afraid.
  • They recently switched to sealed packets which should stop the rusting.

• Rotosound 'pinks' were given away for free with my first electric in the early 00s. That's the only reason I had ever heard of them! After that I've been into the D'Addarios!!

So I don't really know why they aren't that revered. I just used 'em cos they were free. And you take what you can get for free right?!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Gassage;343469" said:
    D'Addario are the best because they have nice pretty coloured ball ends which makes a MASSIVE tonal difference as we all know.

Purple always sustains the best. By far.
    And this. Can't forget about this. The all brass colored balls of other manufacturers just... Isn't all that enticing!! :P
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Had a few sets but didn't like 'em. They were too long. :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinder;343672" said:
    Had a few sets but didn't like 'em. They were too long. :)
    Your guitar must be too short....
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Back in the '80's I bought a ten set batch and quite a few were rusty in their paper bags.

Never bought them since.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Is there a market for relic strings? I have quite a few

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Don't they also have colour coding now as well?
  • fretfinder;343672" said:
    Had a few sets but didn't like 'em. They were too long. :)
    Your guitar must be too short....
    ?? Er nope. 

Of all the makes of strings I've ever used, Rotos seem to be a good bit longer than any others. It's not a problem, just why?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/