Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why Are Rotosound Guitar Strings Not So Popular?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30874

Skarloey said:
    @gassage 1968? Really? Judging by the beard and the slightly bloated features, it looks like the photo of EC there is from the 'Clapton is Pissed' era, c. 1975 ;)
    The only way I could date it was by finding the same ones on eBay and the only ones I could find suggested 1968-70 ish. Not splitting hairs but it's as old as !!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:
    Inbox me your address and I'll send it to you for Carbon 14 dating...

• So the question is, to which Eric epoch does said string packet belong?

Is it a) Clapton is God? (66-68)
    B) Clapton doesn't want to be God anymore (69-72)
    C) Clapton is Sloshed (73-85)
    D) Clapton is lost (86-present).

Answers on a postcard to British Music Strings, South Wales. The winner gets a Marlin Slammer and a beard trimmer.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I tried them a few times. They snapped more than other brands and went dead quicker.

I've tried a lot of brands and I still think Ernie Ball are the best. I don't know if that's a quality thing or because of the environment where they are made. But I snap less strings and they seem to hold better and I play pretty hard I think.
    Skarloey said:
    So the question is, to which Eric epoch does said string packet belong?

Is it a) Clapton is God? (66-68)
    B) Clapton doesn't want to be God anymore (69-72)
    C) Clapton is Sloshed (73-85)
    D) Clapton is lost (86-present).

Answers on a postcard to British Music Strings, South Wales. The winner gets a Marlin Slammer and a beard trimmer.

If anyone collects this sort of thing they're welcome to the string!

• I've tried their strings but just can't get on with them - they feel gritty, don't last and feel dead.

Shame.

That said, I DO like the strings they make for StringsDirect for bass (the guitar ones are awful) under the 'Legacy' brand.
  • Never been keen - I like an old string but not straight out of the packet. I want to like them because they're British too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    Lixarto said:
    Lew said:
    To be fair that's like saying you can't tell the difference between Aldi and Lidl.
    That's obvious. I pass one of them on the way to work.
    But do you recall which one? Your answer seems a little vague ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think they are so/so. I'm generally not fussed about strings. D'addario, Dean Markley, EB, GHS generally whatever I can get in bulk cheap.
    I tried Rotosound years ago, and they just felt crap. They used to give them away with the guitar mags if my memory serves me well? Picked some up recently to see if the the quality had improved. I dont gig these days so not sure how they'd fair under heavy usage.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Paul_C said:
    Lixarto said:
    Lew said:
    To be fair that's like saying you can't tell the difference between Aldi and Lidl.
    That's obvious. I pass one of them on the way to work.
    But do you recall which one? Your answer seems a little vague ;)
    Thinking about it, I pass one of each. Not sure which is which, though.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I used them for years, but just eventually moved to D'addario via elixir. Id happily go back to Roto yellows....
  • I'l tell you what annoys me the most about Rotosound strings.  I live 6 miles from the factory which is in Sevenoaks, Kent.  I have not yet managed to buy a set of strings that were not already corroded long before I got near them....and then they go downhill fast.  I may try them again if they get round to sealing the strings at the factory. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2014
    Halikus said:
    I'l tell you what annoys me the most about Rotosound strings.  I live 6 miles from the factory which is in Sevenoaks, Kent.  I have not yet managed to buy a set of strings that were not already corroded long before I got near them....and then they go downhill fast.  I may try them again if they get round to sealing the strings at the factory. 

They have recently switched to a sealed packet.

I know because I have 2 sets of Reds in sealed packaging, that were given to me, but they're not the gauge I use.

I've been trying to give them away this entire thread but nobody has said they used Roto Reds so far!  If someone actually uses Roto Reds and lives in the UK I'll send them over.  I wanted to send them to someone who likes/uses them.

• Halikus said:
    I'l tell you what annoys me the most about Rotosound strings.  I live 6 miles from the factory which is in Sevenoaks, Kent.  I have not yet managed to buy a set of strings that were not already corroded long before I got near them....and then they go downhill fast.  I may try them again if they get round to sealing the strings at the factory. 

They have recently switched to a sealed packet.

I know because I have 2 sets of Reds in sealed packaging, that were given to me, but they're not the gauge I use.

I've been trying to give them away this entire thread but nobody has said they used Roto Reds so far!  If someone actually uses Roto Reds and lives in the UK I'll send them over.  I wanted to send them to someone who likes/uses them.
    Well if your trying to give em away I could throw them on my ESP which I use 11s for drop c and give them a whirl ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I'd be happy to try them again if you like. I use 11s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ok @halikus and @ICBM PM me your addresses, I'll stick you a set each in the post at some point this week.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Thanks! PM sent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Indeed PM sent.  Kudos to this man!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Rotosounds are , so far the only brand of strings to give me intonation issues that are corrected by fitting D'Addario's