Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why Are Rotosound Guitar Strings Not So Popular?

What's Hot

Comments

• I use the yellows 10-46 and for me personally are superior to Ernie Balls.  Some top players use them, but like anything it's a very personal subject.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used them before and found them to be acceptable, they do have this loose feel to them though despite what gauge I use. That's the reason I've always stuck with EB slinky's, they always give me the familiar tone I know with the tension I've become used to.
    A recent ibanez I bought came fitted with d'addario and they seemed OK too,but fickle I know I didn't like seeing the coloured ends.
  • They now come in sealed foil packs with a silica gel thingy and coloured ball ends.

Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Some excellent colour coding happening right there.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2354
    edited September 2014
    ^ Not really, in this part of the world you can get the shit kicked out of you (or worse) for that colour coding. Also for other colour codings too. :(

I've actually hidden the little union jacks on my amps which are made in the UK, in case people can see them through the window and think I'm making a political statement. :)) I'm probably being paranoid, but still.
    I'm not sure which of us is being more sarcastic but I don't think it's your style to be sarcastic ;-p
    I wish I were being sarcastic. :(

I'm in Northern Ireland.
    Is it really that bad?
  • I used to think twice about taking my old Orange to certain gigs in Glasgow. I imagine NI may be worse!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    I used to think twice about taking my old Orange to certain gigs in Glasgow. I imagine NI may be worse!
    You need a Green as well. Choose amp based on location of gig…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2014
    Lew said:
    Is it really that bad?
    As I said, I might be being paranoid. That being said, people certainly have been beaten up (and worse) in the past for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (or for being recognised, or thought to be, of one persuasion or the other in an "unsuitable" area).
    I used to think twice about taking my old Orange to certain gigs in Glasgow. I imagine NI may be worse!
    I would guess so. But I could be wrong.
    ICBM said:
    You need a Green as well. Choose amp based on location of gig…
    LOL
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    I wonder if the string connoisseurs could pick out a set of Rotosound in a blind test?

I suspect not...
    Turns out I can. 

I tried a DGT belonging to @TTony today and was interested that he is using 10s on his rather than the 11s I use on mine, but when I tried it the strings felt kind of odd and stiff so I checked and sure enough they were Rotos. 

I definitely don't like them.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    Turns out I can. 
    Ahhh - but only when I told you what they were ....

;)

But it's made me think.  I've never paid that much attention to the brand of strings that I use.  Maybe I should try something else ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    They are all very different feeling. 

Elixirs are very worthwhile if you have guitars you don't play very often.

DRs and D'addarios are worth a go.  
    ^ That's funny :)) I could be imagining it but I always think I don't like d'addarios because I think they feel stiffer (at the same gauge) than other strings (including rotosounds) :))

I've never done anything approaching scientific tests, though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    monquixote said:

Elixirs are very worthwhile if you have guitars you don't play very often.
    Elixirs would be worthwhile on a guitar I don't play at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I was waiting for you to say that :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Dave_Mc said:
    ^ Not really, in this part of the world you can get the shit kicked out of you (or worse) for that colour coding. Also for other colour codings too. :(

I've actually hidden the little union jacks on my amps which are made in the UK, in case people can see them through the window and think I'm making a political statement. :)) I'm probably being paranoid, but still.
    Thought you'd put all that behind you, over there...

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

edited September 2014
    Well it's better than it used to be, I suppose, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's anywhere near perfect, either.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I won't book that holiday, just yet, then...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom