economy picking

What's Hot
Does anybody find it easier to come down the scale with economy picking than going up ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You need to slant your pick the other way if you want it easier going the other way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    musteatbrain;343478" said:
    You need to slant your pick the other way if you want it easier going the other way.
    yeah I have it angled it just seems the motion of moving the hand is more awkward..

• You could try tremolo picking on one string but do 3 notes with a slant one way and 3 the other. That helps balance out if one side is a bit less comfortable. Just to clarify, when I say slant I don't mean the rotation of the pick when it hits the string. I mean the angle the top of the pick hangs either behind or in front of the string.
  • Actually, don't listen to me waffle full of wine.
    This guy know's better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, me too and it's still pretty imbalanced, or at least feels that way.

Just keep on working it, and the improvements will come, like any co-ordination exercise.

I work it on 2nps, 3nps, 4nps and stuff like 3-1-3-1nps patterns, it messes with where you move to the next string which I find quite useful.  Try and kill two birds, or more, with one stone in constructing the exercises between left and right hands.  I also find relaxing and getting timing spot on then really pushing it and repeating that quite beneficial too.

Iv actually resorted to Hybrid going up a scale and enonomy coming down ...I will try these ideas though ...thanks :)
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    It does feel a bit more natural coming down but I find it harder to maintain even time between the notes, specially when I'm changing strings. I have be careful not to sweep up too quickly.
    Catthan;344346" said:
    It does feel a bit more natural coming down but I find it harder to maintain even time between the notes, specially when I'm changing strings. I have be careful not to sweep up too quickly.
    Yeah it is awkward to maintain good timing for me as well ...I find I have a lot more control with Hybrid

I used a mirror yesterday to look at my right hand movement with economy and found my technique was different coming down....I have found going up my hand was just moving opposed to coming down my thumb and first finger were doing a lot more movement ..so the movment between the strings is more thumb and first finger then move the hand for the next set...
  • I've recently tried something different - I struggle with fast picking.  

So I'm trying 3 note scales with pick - hammer - pick and pick - pick - hammer (and the reverse for descending).  

I like the tone (especially the latter), but I'm mega slow at the moment.  Anyone else do this?
    I've recently tried something different - I struggle with fast picking.  

So I'm trying 3 note scales with pick - hammer - pick and pick - pick - hammer (and the reverse for descending).  

I like the tone (especially the latter), but I'm mega slow at the moment.  Anyone else do this?
    i think i do similar to what you say sometimes  with Hybrid picking ...iff im playing up a scale i use my finger for the next string then continue with alternate ....so its alternate but when moving between strings i use my finger so it get rid jump with the plec..
  • musteatbrain;343533" said:
    Actually, don't listen to me waffle full of wine.
    This guy know's better.

He's obsessed with picking beyond compare.. I've watched all of the vids he's done and they're incredible. The future of guitar tuition imo. Thanks for the heads up @musteatbrain
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• @mudslide73 He's just about to go in to more detail with the next episode. I'm not obsessed with speed but, in the space of 2 weeks this has allowed me to get over some stumbling blocks I've had for 20 years.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited September 2014
    I sort of wonder why people put themselves through the pain of trying to force themselves into unnatural (for them) picking patterns. When I come across a problem passage re: picking, I just sit down and work out what's most sensible, comfortable and - most importantly - reproducible in a live context without a huge amount of thought. It's usually a combination of economy, alternate and lazy (ie legato).
    I've recently tried something different - I struggle with fast picking.  

There's a great lick at the end of Technical Difficulties for doing something similar across multiple strings:

I use something similar in the solo to one of our songs, but I pick it the other way to him - up stroke on the first note and then down-up-down. Just feels more comfortable that way.
    <space for hire>
  • musteatbrain;350890" said:
    @mudslialrer />
    He's just about to go in to more detail with the next episode.

I'm not obsessed with speed but, in the space of 2 weeks this has allowed me to get over some stumbling blocks I've had for 20 years.
    I was doing a lot of the techniques badly already (I can't play anywhere near that fast either) but it's great to have it all laid out. Great graphics and Yngwie worship too.

I've had a few "PopTarts" moments - Did I just play that? But not like him. Very much looking forward to the rest of season 2.

"A city star won’t shine too far"