Suhr guitars

What's Hot
Tried this:

It was amazing. Lack of through neck didn't even bother me. The single coils really sang and I see what I've been missing for years. It has the maple fingerboard which I've ALWAYS wanted.. the clean sounds are so amazing. Distorted humbucker is great. Anybody else tried these? And I see there are even more expensive models. It's strat-like but played better than the strats I tried. Is the tremolo on Suhr's as good as on PRS? Initially I thought I wanted a stop-tail bridge but if it's a decent one like on PRS then that's a bit more versatile. 

I initially went in to try a Mayones Regius but given the two humbuckers the cleans weren't great. Good guitar, though. Then I tried several PRS' - mainly custom 22 & 24. Played really well (compared to last time I tried some) and although there's the coil tap, the cleans weren't as good as the Suhr. But the distortion was better, I'd say. Also, it had a thinner neck whereas the Suhr's was wider so you had to stretch more to play some chords etc - I don't necessarily like that so that was one "bad" point. 

Given it's my 30th soon I thought I'd spend a wad on something real good. Requirements:

- Ideally maple neck
- No floyd. Tremolo is ok.
- Good nut, locking tuners etc. 
- Initially wanted a neck-through but how often do you really play the high notes? Not as important as I once thought. 
- Prefer passive pickups and now I know I like at least one single coil. 

Anyway, just going to google the other Suhr guitars! I also see the spec on the Yamaha 611 is amazing but somehow I don't think it will compare (much cheaper, though). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751

Given it's my 30th soon

wow - for some reason that makes me feel old

;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited September 2014
    To be honest, the differences you describe are what I'd expect.

PRS Customs are made of mahogany and maple and have fixed necks - like a Les Paul. The pick-ups are (tappable) humbuckers.

The Suhr is (I think) Basswood, with a thin maple cap and a very Fender-like solid maple neck. The single coils are 'proper' single coils.

On a PRS, the single coil tones tend to lack the 'snap' and 'air' that you would get from a Strat, on the Suhr, the humbucker will lack some of the warmth imparted by mahogany.

Both will be great guitars - it's a question of which compromise works better for you....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    If you want a PRS with snappy cleans and a maple neck a Brent Mason might be a good choice.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Or a swamp ash special
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 840
    edited September 2014
    All horses for courses - however I can give an opinion here as I have (amongst others):

Fender Select Strat SSS
    PRS Custom 22 - fitted with BK Mules for a more Paf sound
    PRS CE 22 with HFS/VB (currently)
    Suhr Modern - HH and with a Floyd, but tonally will suit.

The Suhr is certainly fantastic - and yes the Suhr Trems (non Floyd) are on par or better than the PRS trems.  They have a strong but clear Bass, a cutting top end and a fairly neutral midrange (from the Basswood/neck combo).  Very versatile.

The SSS strat is warmer/rounder sounding than the Suhr neck - even though its a true SC, and the Suhr is a HB (SSH+ on the Modern).  really surprising.  It does the vintage SC thing better than anything else - including the Suhr HSS models for me, which are a touch too mid light and have too much prescence IMO (only IM though).

The PRSs are thicker sounding - because of the mahogony.  the CE with HFS has a low mid peak, while the CU with Mules have a high mid peak.  Both sound darker than the strat and Suhr, in different ways.

I end up using them as follows:

Strat for vintage clean/blues stuff, and funky stuff

Suhr - modern cleans and high gain stuff

PRS CU with Mules, vintage Classic Rock stuff (its better than the Suhr at this because of the mid range bark) and HB based Blues stuff

PRS CE- currently mot much as the Suhr does most of what I use the CE for - BUT it its nicer for a heavy, meaty high gain tone - the Suhr is more balanced but more polite with it.  Thinking of putting in HB sized P90s in this guitar.

My others are a 335 which does smokey, old school blues (with the PUs it has) and Jazz, and a Tele which does the country twangy stuff.

Ultimately it depends what your looking for tonally in the guitar.  The PRS and the Suhrs are equally as good - in different ways.  The PRS is more classic sounding, and the Suhr more modern (thats all Series stuff as well as the Modern series - there are others from the higher ranges that this isnt true of).  The splits on the PRS are nicer to my ears than the Suhr - which really are too mid light for me, though thats going to be amp/setting dependant. 

So - If you want a classic sounding, warm, mid punchy guitar with decent clean warm tones go PRS, if you want a more balanced, modern gain tone with crystal jingly cleans go Suhr.

• Yep agree with Richard. I don't think you can lose, both are really high quality instruments.

The only other guitar I could suggest you look for is the PRS Swamp Ash Special, which has a middle single coil and a maple neck.

edited September 2014
    My CE has a bolt on maple neck, though with a rosewood board.  It is definately snappier than the CU (some of this is PUs - but even with the same in its demonstrates the more snap).  I have the neck HB in the PRS's tapped for a single neck PU tone - and the CE has got more snap than the Fender Strat, but its thinner sounding (so is the CU, but less snap and even thinner sounding due to the lower OP of the HB).  The strats is fuller and more rounded.  Neither as as snappy as the Suhr neck HB which also has a lot of bottom.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited September 2014
    Wow, great responses - thanks! Going to take my time here and make the right choice....!
    They don't sell swamp ash specials anymore, right?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Recently played an antique and it was lovely. Light, resonant and sounded excellent. Really liked the baked maple neck. Much much nicer than I remember Suhr being.
  • Another thing... it's going to be bloody expensive, but after one bad experience buying a guitar online, I'm hesitant about doing the same again. Would you buy something of this "calibre" new or used from afar?
  • Unfortunately not but you can find them often on eBay and Gumtree for decent prices
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited September 2014
    Another thing... it's going to be bloody expensive, but after one bad experience buying a guitar online, I'm hesitant about doing the same again. Would you buy something of this "calibre" new or used from afar?

If buying new, no. As you're looking at spending that much cash I'm assuming you want an instrument for life. Any small saving is totally outweighed by being able to compare multiple options in person.

If buying used I would consider it, but would still suggest buying via a dealer as you'd be protected by distance sellers regulations.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    PRS and Suhr are brands where you can be fairly sure that if you buy blind you will still get a good one, but if it's a once in a lifetime purchase for you then you should really try before you buy.
  • Another thing... it's going to be bloody expensive, but after one bad experience buying a guitar online, I'm hesitant about doing the same again. Would you buy something of this "calibre" new or used from afar?
    Bought my Suhr Modern used, from afar from Peach.

TBH, while all guitars a are different, even same makes/models - with top end stuff like Suhrs and PRSs,  its pretty safe.  Obviously you want to try as many as you can to find the make/model/specification that you prefer (Wide thin or Wide Fat PRS, Dragons, HF< 58, 59 PUs, or for Suhr HH, HSS config, SSH, SSV, DSH Pickups).  Once you know that, you can look locally or online for new or used guitars in your prefered colour/finish. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited September 2014
    monquixote;344168" said:
    If you want a PRS with snappy cleans and a maple neck a Brent Mason might be a good choice.

http://www.prsguitars.com/content_images/brentmason_signature.jpg
    I've played a couple of these.

They were absolutely superb. Great neck, great versatility - all pickup selections sounded really good.

Not as 'pretty' as the Suhr or PRS Custom - they have a really 'blue collar' vibe.

If you don't mind having a guitar which covers Strat territory, that doesn't look like a Strat, I really recommend these.
  • @thomasross20

Where are you located?  There are dealers in most parts of the country - that stock both PRS and Suhr, BUT there may be people here close to you with stuff you can try.

Im certainly available if your close enough to try my stuff.  I know you are looking at HSS suhrs and dont want Floyd - but it will show you the differences between the makes/configs a little abnd you can take you time (unlike in a shop at times).

• Think if I'm going to be spending so much the neck has to be thin (not wide) and I'd rather the bolt-on was a heel-join (is that right - where it's not quite neck through but less obtrusive).
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited September 2014
    The Suhr Modern, which is 24 fret, has the neck joint you are describing. Both PRS and Suhr Classics/Standards have more of a block heel joint.

It's really all about what feels and sounds best in your hands. I prefer Suhr by a stretch, but still have PRS as well. They are both great. A Suhr baked ash body with baked maple bolt on neck is a nice wood combo, akin to the Swamp Ash Special.

Depends on your wood, pickup and fret number/size requirements though.
    edited September 2014
    Think if I'm going to be spending so much the neck has to be thin (not wide) and I'd rather the bolt-on was a heel-join (is that right - where it's not quite neck through but less obtrusive).
    PRS Wide thin isnt actually that wide.  Its probably about the same as the Suhr neck TBH (with the exception of the compound radius fretboard on the Suhr v the 10" on the PRS) and is very similar to a Fender Slim C - possibly slightly wider, but no deeper.  The Wide Fats are a deeper profile - I prefer the Wide Thins and both my PRS have that neck profile.

The heal joint isnt that big a deal either - you get used to either.  I prefer the Suhr body contouring back and sides which is very close to the Fender Select (as is the heal joint) - BUT I prefer the carved tops on the PRS v the Flat tops on the Fender and Suhr.

The Suhr feels slick to play, the PRSs have a bit of fight by comparison, and the Fender even more so.  Ive loved PRSs for ages - and they do feel most like "home" of the 3, however thats probably cos Ive had them longest.  I do reach for the Fender and the Suhr most often I guess, but the Custom 22 isnt far behind - probably a 30% Suhr, 30% Fender, 25% CU22 - with the other 15% split between the CE, Tele and 335.  That more to do with the styles Im playing at present though than the guitars themselves.

AS Fender make a Select in HSS as well (those selects have some nice tops as well - not as pretty as the best from Suhr or PRS, but the nice ones ARE nice) - Id seriously add that to your potential purchase.  Its slightly cheaper, has "that" name on the headstock - and while its probably not quite as "perfectly" built as the PRS or Suhr, its not a million miles away either.  It might just suit you the best of the 3. 

Youve probably seen these, but to show you the differences:

Suhr Modern in Chilli Pepper REd:

PRS Custom 22 Whale Blue:

PRS CE in Faded Purple:

Select Strat in Light Cherry Burst:

There all nice, in different ways

• The heal joint isnt that big a deal either - you get used to either.  I prefer the Suhr body contouring back and sides which is very close to the Fender Select (as is the heal joint) - BUT I prefer the carved tops on the PRS v the Flat tops on the Fender and Suhr.
    Just to note though that the Suhr Modern or Standard Carve Top give that similar feel as the PRS.