Suhr guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• Maybe try out a Music Man Silhouette / Silhouette Special as well? Available with trem or hardtail and seem to fit your criteria. Music Mans are the only guitars I've played personally that I'd say match PRS for build quality. I've always felt that, as PRS are like 'improved Gibsons', Music Man's are like 'improved Fenders'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Improved fenders are where suhr fit as well.
  • The Suhr's I've tried have been utterly devoid of all soul. Immaculately put together and the quality is hard to beat, but I like flaws and a bit of fight.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited September 2014
    @timmysoft you'll love guitarguitars Suhrs then as I don't think they bother setting them up after the long journey. They have enough relief to put a financial times between fret and string. They have loads of fight ;-p
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lew said:
    @timmysoft you'll love guitarguitars Suhrs then as I don't think they bother setting them up after the long journey. They have enough relief to put a financial times between fret and string. They have loads of fight ;-p

I did try a couple in their Epsom shop, it's not the kind of fight I really like!
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    There's something to be said for consistency in a chain store.
  • Lew said:
    There's something to be said for consistency in a chain store.
    Sounds like a bloody hard Times crossword clue to me
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Paul, I'm in Edinburgh..
  • Yes, GUITARGUITAR! What is GJ2??
  • Guitar guitar in Epsom seems to have the best stock going!
  • I'll check the modern ... If it had single could and humbucker.. And maple fretboard as well as the heel joint.. Then perfect!
  • What about the Guthrie Charvel sig model?

Looks nice, sounds good, good trem.
  • timmysoft said:
    The Suhr's I've tried have been utterly devoid of all soul. Immaculately put together and the quality is hard to beat, but I like flaws and a bit of fight.

I found that with a Sadowsky bass I tried. Perfect build but zero soul.
  • The same was leveled at PRSs.  The Suhrs AND PRSs have their own thing going on.  The Suhrs particularly are designed to sustain and ring true, being a fairly neutral platform for the PUs to shine with THEIR character.  Doesnt mean the guitar has no soul - its just not the same soul a more classic guitar would have.  If it does the job, plays well and makes the right sounds - then its the right guitar.

Thomas.  I think you should try a Modern.  You would be surprised how single coil like the HBs are into a clean amp.  They come with the more traditional trem as well as Floyds so no problem there - and they are Maple necks - just not Maple fretboards, which IMO make the Suhrs FAR too snappy.  you can also look at used Standards for the same price as New S and M series guitars.  These come in pretty much any variety. the Alder ones are great, much more classic sounding, and the Mahogony ones have more meat - I was SOOO close to spending £400 more for a Mahogany Modern rather than the M5 I actually bought.

Unfortunately Edinburgh is rather too far north for me..  Im sure someone closer could chime in and help out.
  • http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13121116305416

Everything bar the single coils, would have to order in though. So you think the maple fretboard makes it too snappy?

All other suggestions welcome - will spend what it takes to get the guitar of a lifetime!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30866
    2 pages and no mention of Anderson.

I've owned Suhrs, PRS's and Andersons.

Tom, IMO makes the best guitars in the world bar none. Suhrs are slightly anodyne in comparison, Anderson's have more character.

The build of an Anderson is to die for. Check one out.

The other high recc I'd make for a Stratty strat is Gerard Melancon. My Melancon is the most Strat sounding guitar I've ever encountered and the build is sensational.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

Hows the dental surgery going? :-P
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30866
    Gassage said:

Hows the dental surgery going? :-P

???

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited September 2014
    Under high gain, I don't think the difference between a maple, ebony or rosewood board would be apparent unless you have stunning hearing. It may be more obvious with clean tones, but even then, it's not something I'd dwell on. 

Oh, and @Gassage, I read the dentist comment above as a piss take of the cliche surrounding the professions of those who own these guitars, (although you'd probably grabbed that already).

I've never played an Anderson, but would like to.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 839
    edited September 2014
    Gassage said:
    2 pages and no mention of Anderson.

Tom, IMO makes the best guitars in the world bar none. Suhrs are slightly anodyne in comparison, Anderson's have more character.

The build of an Anderson is to die for. Check one out.

The other high recc I'd make for a Stratty strat is Gerard Melancon. My Melancon is the most Strat sounding guitar I've ever encountered and the build is sensational.
    Thought about mentioning Andersons, but there more expensive than Suhrs, only brought in by world guitars (to order with a 9 month wait) and arnt that common used.  Add to that I tried two while looking for a suitable guitar (that the Suhr ultimately ws - but I looked at Melancons, Andersons, ESPs, Washburns and LAGS too) - and actually the current built of Suhrs are on par with Andersons - there certainly not any better.   Both the guitars I tried had the Switcharoo system which I really dont like - another thing that put me off them.  Having said that - iof they had the blade switch and were the right colour, and the right price I certainly would have had one.
    I think thats part of the problem with Andersons.  Suhr do the same thing, to the same level, cheaper.  If they were the same money (as they were with PRS back when I bought my first PRS) then it would be a personal call - just down to preference, but the price difference has put Suhr firmly in the driving seat.