Is this the right way to take a DRUM SOLO ?

What's Hot
I'm sure this should polarise opinions, so let's have it all, with examples good or bad - bring it on !

The video also flips around between solos and question answer between instruments, so it's not quite as one dimensional as the title suggests, more a provocation to further discussion...

If it's your band I guess that changes the parameters somewhat too.

Duration 13:45

Simon Phillips Protocol II - Enigma - at LKA Longhorn Stuttg. 12.11.2013

If you are impatient - the drum solo starts around 6:50 - monster player though, whatever your opinion on solos is, IMHO obviously.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So, do I take it from the lack of comments that in the opinion of you guys and gals, there really is no "right way" to take a drum solo ?

• The trouble is, after the drum solo comes the bass solo and then you're in serious trouble.
  • No disrespect, but I saw it was 13 minutes long and lost the will to live, so went straight to 6:50 and then stopped it at 7:00.

This type of music, whilst obviously very proficient and talented leaves me cold.

As a drummer in a previous life I cannot stand drum solos, it's like watching yourself masturbate in the mirrors on your ceiling.

Buddy Rich was the only person who I could listen to for any length of time, and I hate jazz!

Guitar solos are obviously better, but must never be just for the sake of it. They must really fit the song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7779

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • So, I'll take that as a NO then ?

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    SNAKEBITE said:

Buddy Rich was the only person who I could listen to for any length of time, and I hate jazz!

Mickey Shrieve - Santana - Soul Sacrifice - Woodstock

Drum solo excellence....nothing else matters!

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7779
    So, I'll take that as a NO then ?
    what response were you hoping for ?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I knew what type of music it would be from the artist name alone. I don't like to listen to solos out of context but couldn't handle 6 minutes of it so skipped a couple of minutes in the middle.

They're obviously all very technically proficient but not once did any of them play a melody in the whole thing. By the 9 minute mark it's obvious that they're not even playing the same piece.

I didn't get much further before going back to iTunes to learn some John Denver songs. Any chance they segued into Please Please Me for the last 2:04?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I can't listen to stuff like that.. The young guy, puking after his drum solo, was more entertaining - as was his solo.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.