What do you do on your nights out?

What's Hot
These guys, apparently, fix stuff:

The cynic in me wonders how many councils in the UK would be after them for vandalism if it happened in their town...
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    I stay in
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And in one drunken night out, Salvador Dali's generous gift to Lincolnshire - "Bike rack melting" - is ruined. Idiots.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A bike stand that can be that easily bent back into shape probably isn't secure enough to chain your bike to it.

The guys done good. Like you, I wonder how many other councils would go "Oi! That's OUR bike stand, and it stays bent till WE fix it!"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited September 2013
    A bike stand that can be that easily bent back into shape probably isn't secure enough to chain your bike to it.

The guys done good. Like you, I wonder how many other councils would go "Oi! That's OUR bike stand, and it stays bent till WE fix it!"
    Well, I'd say that the bike stand isn't really the weak point - it'll always be the smaller piece of metal (ie the lock/chain itself) that's targeted. It's not supposed to make it impossible to steal a bike, just make stealing a bike inconvenient and time-consuming enough that people notice and stop you.

It reminds me of the time Melton Borough Council sent all their coppers out with photos of my gran with instructions to arrest her on sight for vandalism, for the heinous crime of going out at night and looking after the flower beds in the town (since the council had abandoned them). For a tiny 70+ year old woman, she did an amazing job of evading the police - she carried on doing it for about 7 years (right up to the day she died) and only got caught once by accident. The officer in question shook her hand and gave her advice on how to avoid getting nabbed ;)
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Great story !!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27576
    On my nights out I generally try to get back home as soon as possible, where my best beloved, dinosaur pyjamas and cuddly wombat are.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Great story !!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^
    Heh...yeah, she was a bit of a wildcard like that. One day, she completely disappeared - everybody panicked, but she came back absolutely fine and refused to tell anybody where she'd been.

Then, some time later, I was a bored student skipping afternoon lectures and watching Countdown, and...."Holy fuck! THAT'S MY GRAN!!!!!!!!".
    <space for hire>
  • your Gran must have been quite a character! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • your Gran must have been quite a character! :)
    Aye, that she was :)
    <space for hire>
  • I run an unpaid taxi service for my two teenage sons. Bottle of pop and the Moral Maze on the car radio is as exciting as it gets.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    edited September 2013
    I run an unpaid taxi service for my two teenage sons. Bottle of pop and the Moral Maze on the car radio is as exciting as it gets.

That sounds familiar 'ETW', probably the closest I get to a regular night out, find a safe-ish place to park up, scoff packet of crisps, wait 20 mins longer than advised, find that it's 4 to drop off not 2, oh and by the way, one of em needs to go 12 miles across the other side of town.

God I love my "kids"!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It reminds me of the time Melton Borough Council sent all their coppers out with photos of my gran with instructions to arrest her on sight for vandalism, for the heinous crime of going out at night and looking after the flower beds in the town (since the council had abandoned them). For a tiny 70+ year old woman, she did an amazing job of evading the police - she carried on doing it for about 7 years (right up to the day she died) and only got caught once by accident. The officer in question shook her hand and gave her advice on how to avoid getting nabbed ;)
    Isn't there a bylaw that says if you maintain a piece of land for 13 years it's yours? I think that might be what the council were worried about..
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ROOG said:
    I run an unpaid taxi service for my two teenage sons. Bottle of pop and the Moral Maze on the car radio is as exciting as it gets.

That sounds familiar 'ETW', probably the closest I get to a regular night out, find a safe-ish place to park up, scoff packet of crisps, wait 20 mins longer than advised, find that it's 4 to drop off not 2, oh and by the way, one of em needs to go 12 miles across the other side of town.

God I love my "kids"!

Last night was picking up the youngest from St Johns Ambulance, where there are about ten parking spaces and about thirty parents trying to do the pick up. So the keen ones do that twenty minute early thing. I did the arrive last minute and park illegally further down the road thing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • frankus said:
    Isn't there a bylaw that says if you maintain a piece of land for 13 years it's yours? I think that might be what the council were worried about..
    Hmmm...I thought that was "assured tenancy" ie if you moved in to rented accommodation prior to...1989? I don't think it applies to land. @fretmeister ?
    <space for hire>
  • frankus said:
    Hmmm...I thought that was "assured tenancy" ie if you moved in to rented accommodation prior to...1989? I don't think it applies to land. @fretmeister ?
    Different things.

Frank is talking about 'Adverse Possession' where a squatter could legitimately take ownership of a property if he was there without permission and looked after it for 12 years.

If there was permission then that is a tenancy even if there is no money. The squatting has to be interfering with the rights of the real owner. So people that did that had to make sure the real owner didnt notice what was going on. So boarded up windows, no lights at the front is very common.

I think the law changed on the point but I didn't keep up with it as I didn't need to!