I used to think it was a load of cobblers ,but my new guitar is sounding better the more I play it !

What's Hot
I've been playing my new es335 a bit lately , and I must admit the more I play it it seems to sound noticeably better ! I used to think people that said that were daft , but I'm starting to think there might be some truth in it !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    What was it Mark Twain said: when he was 18 he thought his Dad was ignorant, but when he was 21 he was amazed at how much the old bloke seemed to have learnt in just 3 years.

;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    There is.

It doesn't even have to be actively played, just being left on a hanger or stand in a room to vibrate is often enough. I've heard this happen many times with guitars that have come into the shop to be sold - if they've been kept cased by the owner they often sound a bit dull and lifeless to begin with, even with new strings and a set-up, but if you go back to them after a few weeks of being on display, they sound much better… even though the strings may be getting a bit duller by then.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    And that's with a Laminated top......

All I want to add is.....We should be careful when judging (and then dismissing) "under the bed" guitars.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    There's also the Getting Used To The Guitar Itself factor.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited September 2014
    I think there's definitely truth in it.

My PRS McCarty has a lot more depth and a less bright top-end with a couple of years of playing.

In my experience, Fenders tend to lose 'twang' with use and gain more depth also.

Yahama have some ageing process they use on their higher priced guitars (SGs I think) and claim they have evidence that it works.

It seems to have been accepted in the acoustic world as a 'fact' for as long as I can remember - though people seem less convinced when it comes to electrics. I'm definitely in the 'yes' camp.