Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Univibe options?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
I have been investigating.

The MXR seems pretty good, the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe sounds great but is a bit more like a phaser.

The Earthquaker The Depths sounds brilliant but it's far more expensive than the other 2. (But it's leading my list at the mo)

What else should I look at?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited September 2014
    Ok, as a Floyd head this tends to be something that us 'Floydheads' get.

If money is no object, Roger Mayer VoodooVibe

Then the Mayer mini Voodoovibe also v good.

Sub 200, the Sweetsound MojoVibe is an utter killer- probably the best all round option- truly fantastic and over at the Gilmour Forum it's truly the Vibe of choice.

Fulltone Custom (or Gold/White non Wah enclusre) DejaVibe (others not that great IMO)

Budget range- the Voodoolabs Micro VIbe and BBE Vibe both are basically the same Mason....err...I mean pedal, and are both fabby.

Also, the MXR Phase 45 is very good at being a Vibe

The Mobius does a good vibe too, and you can set it on delay trails only.

EDIT: If you want the BBE one I know where there's a brand new one going for £100.

EDIT 2: another belter is the Villanova FX Vibe.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Isn't there a rather good Korg one with loads of controls ?

• The Roger Mayer VoodooVibe is the business but a tad expensive. From personal experience I've owned the Lovepedal Pickle Vibe which is pretty good but with only one control knob a little limiting with what you can do.

I recently picked up a 2nd hand Fulltone Deja Vibe off ebay for under £130. I really like it. It has both chorus and vibrato options with a modern and vintage modern switch. With level, intensity and rate controls it's quite whereas the Pickle Vibe is a one trick pony.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure there is another older Korg vibe unit.

However there seems to be a new Nuvibe from Korg I found after a quick Google

PGS Andy doing a demo of it:

edit: added from the YT description - "When Korg decided to recreate the original Uni-Vibe from the '60's, they went straight to the source, enlisting the original engineer, Fumio Mieda, to help them design the new Korg Nuvibe. The Nuvibe recreates the original effect using a mind-boggling 79 transistors in a discrete circuit. The new buffer circuit was recreated as well, a feature that is vital to the Nuvibe's authentic sonic signature. Not content with a simple reissue, Korg added some exciting modern features, including true bypass, battery operation, and ten wavesliders for sculpting your own unique LFO waveforms. The Nuvibe's control set includes knobs for volume, intensity, and speed, and a footswitch for toggling between chorus and vibrato modes. The included expression pedal allows the player to control the speed of the Nuvibe's modulation with their foot, and just like the original, rocking the pedal to the heel-down position bypasses the effect for ultimate real-time control on stage. "

Duration 6:41

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I've got a pickle vibe and it's perfect for me. One knob... Simples.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I tried a Pickle Vibe a while ago and I was massively impressed. 

I like simple pedals though.
  • Wow for @gassage , there's a bloke who likes his 'vibes =D>
    edited September 2014
    One other point- recent legislation (somewhere or other) has stopped certain optical things being used so some vibes have to be discontinued now.

EDIT: which means buying used makes sense.

Someone can prob explain this optical cell better?

• Blimey!

So much info. Thank you

Fire up the YouTube!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

Vactrols are banned
    In the European Union, the production and distribution of Cd-based photoresistors is banned since January 1, 2010. The initial version of the EU Directive on the restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS), adopted in 2003, allowed the use of cadmium in the devices that had no Cd-free counterparts.
    [35] However, in 2009 the European Commission excluded Cd-based ROs used in professional audio equipment from the list of permitted devices
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss PW10?
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2014
    And now for a bit of history:

- this is what the guy who posted this (for sale in 2010) on YT had to say:

"This is a special 1969 Shin-ei Uni-Vibe with the gray cord, white Uni-Vibe name painted indicating it is the same type used by Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock and with Band of Gypsys and by Robin Trower for Bridge of Sighs. The later 70s era black cord ones with silver name stencil don't sound near as good or lush. It has a manual speed controller taking up less pedal board space and is in near museaum quality condition for an effect that is over 40 years old and still works as good as the day it was made."

Duration 10:21

Is that the one Gilmour has rackmounted?

• I have no idea, I came across this researching vibes.  After finding the Korg one I wanted to see what the original was like.  No idea where it came from or where it went after this guy sold it.  But someone obviously had it racked, so maybe, who knows...

• A chap called @jollygreengiant sold me a pretty immense one it does all the univibe stuff but great chorus and phasey sounds as well http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/9435/fs-diy-clear-out-plexitone-orange-squeezer-muff#latest. I'm super pleased with it.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Been noodling with the pickle vibe tonight. Loves it in front of signal chain. Doesn't love it so much from behind.
  • jollygreengiantjollygreengiant Frets: 99
    edited September 2014
    Cheers mate, my fave DIY build and it killed the majority of boutique vibes I compared it to. Glad you are still loving it!

In terms of vibes I've used:

Foxrox Aquavibe - amazing build quality and versatility but a bit too hi fi and wishy washy sounding for me. Waiting list massive too.

Fulltone Dejavibe - I had the mk 2 big treadle version. Sounded good but could never get an intense enough sounding effect. Good for Gilmour not so much for Hendrix.

Prescription Vibe Unit - awesome. Big thick swampy tone, plenty of intensity and depth and sensible speed range on the LFO. Shame it's so massive !
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Gassage said:

Vactrols are banned

In the European Union, the production and distribution of Cd-based photoresistors is banned since January 1, 2010. The initial version of the EU Directive on the restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS), adopted in 2003, allowed the use of cadmium in the devices that had no Cd-free counterparts.[35] However, in 2009 the European Commission excluded Cd-based ROs used in professional audio equipment from the list of permitted devices
    As far as I am aware, and I've looked into this, there are no RoHS compliant light dependent resistors (LDRs), so any pedal etc with an optocoupler in it should not be sold new in the EU.

There seems to be a number of pedals on the market that would appear to contravene these regs.

Regarding Univibes, for original circuit used an incandescent lamp and 4 LDRs, so any "accurate" reproduction units should not sold in the EU. 

• I didn't realise people were quite so nuts for this effect! It sounds easier to overdo than chorus or shimmer. 

Does sound well fat, though.  Even with the effect turned down loads, it's a nice sound. 

But for doing one song with it (surely anymore is overkill?) I'd just get a BBE Mind Bender or a 'normal' vibe pedal (pickle vibe?). 
  • Check out the jhs warrble tron or the oxfuzz oxvibe, all kinds of awesome!