red cables?

What's Hot
imaloneimalone Frets: 748
Looking for a red cable with an angled plug. There don't seem to be many around. Fender california only come with straight jacks, all I can find are "Livewire" on amazon (but the plugs look a bit like the ones on the particularly cheap first cable I bought) and Lindy, who make computer cables which doesn't inspire confidence either.
Or I could pay £40 for an Orange cable and wear coloured lenses.
Am I on a futile quest here? Was going to have a nosey round Denmark street Sunday afternoon, but ironically ended up at a 'Colour' exhibition and was then hijacked for sunday lunch (probably the better option really).
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Lunch is always the better option.

The Cali Clear Fender cables, though a bit gimmicky, are actually good cables. I'd use those and solder on an angled jack. The Custom Shop tweed cables (though not meeting your red criteria) are actually the best cables I've used, on the whole. I just got rid of a load of Planet Waves American cables tonight and they were shit, tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    I'm sure Rob at Kabl will make you one in any colour you want.

If not I have some red cable and I could make you one (with Neutrik plugs), although it might not end up that cheap since I'm not specifically set up for making cables quickly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    Dimarzio did red cables - although it was a woven jacket like on an electric iron flex
    V good quality!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Why red?
  • I'm a yellow cable guy myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like white. It ages better.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Why red?
    Red ones always sound better ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited September 2014
    I buy standard black cables and mark them with coloured electrical tape.  Once I ran out of colours I started doing double colour combos.  Doesn't take long - I loosely folded the cable multiple times to give me regular points to mark, worked out evenly every few feet or so.  Just wrap once around for each mark, doesn't take too long once you're in the swing of it.  Much cheaper than custom ordering coloured cable, doesn't look as nice though.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Jalapeno said:
    Why red?
    Red ones always sound better ;)

Precisely. It's just for what it looks like really. Might take a look at what kabl would cost. I suppose I could (un)roll my own if I cared enough, but was wondering if there was an off-the-shelf option available. I like the Fender tweed too, they did an ox-blood option at one point, but no more :( The Dimarzio one would be perfect, but don't seem to be able to get them in the UK, at least not the angled ones.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • These are the guys I buy my van damme pro from, they do a range of colours :D
    Kabl is an off-the-shelf option. You ask Rob for what you want, he takes the parts off his shelf and makes you a cable.

:)

They're also better made and cheaper (for equivalent quality) than most of the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Kabl is an off-the-shelf option. You ask Rob for what you want, he takes the parts off his shelf and makes you a cable.

They're also better made and cheaper (for equivalent quality) than most of the others.
    Unless I'm making several patch cables and a couple of longer ones at once, it'c cheaper for me to use kabl than to buy components myself!

He's more tidy at soldering than me, too... Though noone of mine have failed (yet).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    ICBM said:

This  </fanboi>

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I got one of these. Very good cable. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251457652879
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited September 2014
    Cool, many options then. Any thoughts on straight plugs into amps? Mine have jacks on the top and I'm beginning to think I'd be better with an angled plug into the amp rather than a straight one with the cable permanently flopping over at the top, so may as well fix that if I start getting cables made.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    On some amps the control panel is recessed, and a right angled plug won't fit. 

Personally I prefer a straight plug into the amp. Then, if any one's feet get caught in the cable, the plug pulls out rather than the amp pulling over.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    What more normally happens is that the pull isn't straight, so it doesn't come out cleanly and it damages either the plug, the socket, or both. That's probably the number one repair I do on rehearsal studio amps, particularly any with PCB-mounted jacks.

A right-angle plug tends not to do that, and might even be less likely to pull the amp over since the usual pull on the cable is downwards, not forwards - I can tell that from the direction the sockets and the amp panels get bent in! It happens when the cable gets stood on and pulled tight, which is more common than being actually tripped on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom