Richie Kotzen

What's Hot
LevLev Frets: 228
Having liked some of the Winery Dogs stuff I've heard I decided to check out Richie Kotzen's solo stuff on Spotify while doing some DIY around the house at the weekend. Holy Cow, I never realized what a great singer and song writer this guys is! 

I always knew him as a shredder from Poison/Mr. Big but his solo stuff is much more soul and pop influenced. There's still some shreddy solos in there but combined with big choruses and catchy hooks makes it really accessible. I'd highly recommend checking him out if you haven't already. It's hard to believe that someone with this much talent gets so little exposure compared to say Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer (not that there's anything wrong with JB & JM)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Yep! he's not bad and he doesn't use a pick these days either.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/22920/the-gear-show-episode-three#latest and check out his rig run down at the end of the Gear Show. @Chrisv should you be paying me for this? $-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree. Same with Phil Sayce, who might be a slightly better singer still but a bit more bluesy with his solos. Both are on tour here now/soon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    edited September 2014

Lev said:
    Having liked some of the Winery Dogs stuff I've heard I decided to check out Richie Kotzen's solo stuff on Spotify while doing some DIY around the house at the weekend. Holy Cow, I never realized what a great singer and song writer this guys is! 

I always knew him as a shredder from Poison/Mr. Big but his solo stuff is much more soul and pop influenced. There's still some shreddy solos in there but combined with big choruses and catchy hooks makes it really accessible. I'd highly recommend checking him out if you haven't already. It's hard to believe that someone with this much talent gets so little exposure compared to say Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer (not that there's anything wrong with JB & JM)

• vizviz Frets: 10647
    He's done a couple of great project albums with greg howe. No singing but really exciting and melodic and semi-jazzy stuff.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm a massive fan, I love his playing, he writes great songs and for me he has the best voice of any guitarist who sings.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    axisus said:
    I'm a massive fan, I love his playing, he writes great songs and for me he has the best voice of any guitarist who sings.
    He does have a great voice but I find he sings in a very similar style to Chris Cornell, whose look he also seems to be trying to achieve!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited March 2015
    Just listening to some of his back catalogue and agree with what some have said here i.e. I'm more a fan of his voice and songwriting than his guitar, but I don''t mind that either. Not so mad about the Winery Dog's stuff but the man has soul and is cool as hell!

For the fans here, what's considered his best album?

Seems the talent runs in the family and I fell upon this MGMT cover
     -

Still lusting for a Kotzen Tele.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

If you like the harder rock side of Kotzen, check out the Forty Deuce album Nothing to Lose.

Will do @Philly_Q.

I like the funky, soul stuff or something along the lines of The Black Crowes "Remedy". He's certainly turned out a fair few albums.

Cheers
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited March 2015
    Kebabkid;562885" said:

I like the funky, soul stuff or something along the lines of The Black Crowes "Remedy". He's certainly turned out a fair few albums.

In that case try Mother Head's Family Reunion.  It's one of his early efforts, there may be more recent funk-soul stuff as well but I must admit I'm not familiar with all his albums (he's pretty prolific!)

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    His latest "Cannibals" is pretty funky - a bit Prince like even in places
    edited March 2015
    Cheers chaps and I will give them a listen ;)
    Edit: Crikey, Mother Head's Family Reunion is a real belter. Nice one @Philly_Q
    @SimonC - just heard a couple of tracks off of "Cannibals" including the title track and I like that a lot.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    He's brilliant.  In terms of guitar playing and singing ability combined, he's like the rock version of George Benson.

(There's a lot wrong with Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer (I guess John is okay))
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    He's fantastic, but am I wrong to want to see him interviewed by Sacha Baron Cohen ?
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    He's also pretty sexy 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Loobs said:
    He's also pretty sexy 
    He's lovely lookin'!
  • NorrlandNorrland Frets: 3
    I really like Kotzen's voice, and guitar playing.  I prefer his voice on heavier stuff like Forty Deuce, and the Winery Dogs. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Great voice, massive hands.

I like this live clip

• Big fan here. Seen him live a few times. One of the best in the business. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'