PAT testing and Public liability

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
To those who are regularly on the corporate gig market do you guys really bother with PAT testing and fork out for Public Liability insurance? Is it generally insisted upon by the venues you play at etc?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes unfortunatley - PLI is worth having to cover your arse but PAT is a farcical system.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Yes to both, although I do the band's PAT.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited September 2014
    jpfamps said:
    Yes to both, although I do the band's PAT.

Ok. What would you say is a rough estimate for a 6 piece band for PAT testing?

On top of my head it's for:-

2 x guitar amps

4 x Mackie powered speakers

2x Mackie mixer

2 x extension reels

2 x 4 gang plug bar

1 x keyboard

4 mics

• last I heard it was about £3 per item
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • last I heard it was about £3 per item
    Are mics included in PAT testing?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2014
    last I heard it was about £3 per item
    no. AFAIK (ICBM will correct me if I'm wrong) PAT is only about the safety of mains powered equipment. It includes a visual check on the state of power leads & plugs, and a resistance test between the equipment's chassis and the earth pin of its mains plug. If there is more than half an ohm, the test fails, so the tester then presses the button that tells the test gear that the mains lead is more than 3 metres long, which allows it to be not quite so pernickety. the test then passes, you get your sticky labels, and then hand over your cash. job done :)

EDIT PLI is thrown in with MU membership. If you're in the corporate gig market you should be MU members.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited September 2014
    last I heard it was about £3 per item
    no. AFAIK (ICBM will correct me if I'm wrong) PAT is only about the safety of mains powered equipment. It includes a visual check on the state of power leads & plugs, and a resistance test between the equipment's chassis and the earth pin of its mains plug. If there is more than half an ohm, the test fails, so the tester then presses the button that tells the test gear that the mains lead is more than 3 metres long, which allows it to be not quite so pernickety. the test then passes, you get your sticky labels, and then hand over your cash. job done :)

EDIT PLI is thrown in with MU membership. If you're in the corporate gig market you should be MU members.
    Blimey the bill keeps getting longer and longer. I've only gone into the market because pubs are paying so badly etc. I'm just checking out how much is MU membership ? I take it's a band payment not individuals?
  • Yes to both

PAT or Portable Appliance Test is a test of electrical safety for portable equipment. How they define portable is a mystery to me as a 60 kilo active sub doesn't really qualify as portable yet has to be tested.Any way the general rule of thumb is anything which uses an electrical supply of 240 volts to work, needs to have a valid sticker on it to say it has been tested on such and such a day within the last  12 months and is safe to use. So its a bit like a car MOT really for electrics in that there is no guarantee that three days after its test something has failed and its unsafe. For us guitarists the grey area is that f you have an effects thingy for example which runs off a wall wart the wall wart needs a sticker the thingy doesn't.

Bottom line is if your employer/booker insists you have valid PAT certs for everything get it done. I would advocate get it done anyway along with regular monthly checks by yourself that anything you plug into the mains is safe  
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Yes to both

PAT or Portable Appliance Test is a test of electrical safety for portable equipment. How they define portable is a mystery to me as a 60 kilo active sub doesn't really qualify as portable yet has to be tested.Any way the general rule of thumb is anything which uses an electrical supply of 240 volts to work, needs to have a valid sticker on it to say it has been tested on such and such a day within the last  12 months and is safe to use. So its a bit like a car MOT really for electrics in that there is no guarantee that three days after its test something has failed and its unsafe. For us guitarists the grey area is that f you have an effects thingy for example which runs off a wall wart the wall wart needs a sticker the thingy doesn't.

Bottom line is if your employer/booker insists you have valid PAT certs for everything get it done. I would advocate get it done anyway along with regular monthly checks by yourself that anything you plug into the mains is safe  
    Ah well that's good news then that I don't have to test my pedals only my power supply. Phew!
  • I'm not sure what being an MU member would benefit me except for the included Public Liability Insurance. Whats the deal guys?
  • You can get Public Liability cover with gear insurance. It's been discussed a few times here.

Especially fretmeister's posts.
  • You can get Public Liability cover with gear insurance. It's been discussed a few times here.

Wow these insurances companies have all got it sewn up into scare us into buying policies haven't they? :(

The 2K mentioned from MU to cover gear wouldn't cover mine considering I own the PA and my kit on top of that :(
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    This amused me on a piece of kit I had into repair:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    You want to know your gear is safe so get it PAT tested - at a couple of quid or so per item it's no big deal compared to your gig earnings.   It's no guarrantee in the same way your car mot only says at the time of testing it was ok, but it's a decent minimum as well as the regular checks you would be doing anyway. 

Similarly for PLI - the outlay is a very good investment compared to the risks should something happen that you find yourslef liable for. 

If you're sensible with your gear, maintain it and apply some common sense you probably would never need these things but I think it's worth having just in case...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Yes to both

I think you might find its more regular than every 12 months depending on the type of product and frequency of use....   

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    jpfamps said:
    This amused me on a piece of kit I had into repair:

This amused me somewhat less. Found this on a piece of gear I was working on recently…

Currently valid PAT sticker on an incorrectly fitted mains plug - note that the cable grip is tightened on the inner wires and not the outer sheath as it's supposed to be. Although not actually dangerous - yet - it's very poor practice. Also the wrong fuse value is written on, although at least the 5A will blow sooner, rather than the other way round.

In cases like this PAT stickers aren't worth the label they're written on and are treated as a licence to print money by the people who do them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Just a heads up regarding PLI and the Musicians Union. The cover is personal so is worthless to your band unless you all join. If you aren't already members or planning to be then it's cheaper to get a policy that covers the band as an entity.
  • We offered to play a charity gig. As in, for nothing, at our own expense. All set up and then because not everything was PAT tested we couldn't play as it was local authority premises.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited September 2014
    Yes to both

PAT or Portable Appliance Test is a test of electrical safety for portable equipment. How they define portable is a mystery to me as a 60 kilo active sub doesn't really qualify as portable yet has to be tested.

Which is why it hasn't really been called PAT for ages, just 'electrical safety testing'. I remember the bafflement at work at the fridge getting 'PAT tested' then you have to gently explain to people that just because you can't lift it doesn't mean it can't catch fire.
    (Edit: this in a place where one or two things have actually started smoking in the past...)